Thread: IS FS2004 REALLY LIMITED TO 4,7m/pixel???

Default IS FS2004 REALLY LIMITED TO 4,7m/pixel???

Hi, I posted on Aerosofts forum on the Balearic Islands scenery as I saw some screenshots that looked interesting but were not marked FSX or FS2004, and I wanted to know if they would be for Fs2004, this is the response I got:

The Sceneries (Balearen as Bundle, or Mallorca, Menorca and Ibiza as single) are all developed with the same Detaillevel for both FS Version.
    The difference between both version is only based on the limits of the FS Version itself, like the resolution of the Island photoground (not the Airport ground), where the FS2004 is limited to 4,7m/pixel. Aother limit in FS2004 is the density of Autogen, which is less then in FSX.
    So the pictures you see from the island area, will be all FSX, as the ground resolution could not be so dense in FS9.
    For the Airport Pic, it makes no difference, where they are from, as the airport is looking the same in both FS (maybe only some reflection effect are missing in FS9, because the FS9 not generated them).

My question regarding this: I use BlueSkyScenery and I know that the resolution he uses for his photoscenery is 2,2m/pixel, so FS2004 is capable of utilizing this high quality textures, so why the discrepancy??

Default Resolution

4.7 Megs/pixel doesn't make sense. You can set your resolution, depening on your sound card and monitor, in the hardware options of FS. I think the 4.7 Megs refers to the maximum memory that FS uses to run. More than this is not going to give you much better performance, depending on what other programs are running at the same time. You should go for the highest resolution that your hardware will allow and that is acceptable to your eyes. They usually recommend a particular optimum setting for your monitor. Exceeding this will make the image to small. You have to fiddle around for the best combination.

Stan

Annber,

The maximum pixel resolution for FS04 is 4.7

Now, what Blue Sky has done is use a sample size of 2.2 in their data, but the created scenery is 4.7.

None of this has anything to do with your sound card, graphics card, monitor, system memory, or hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by JSkorna View Post
    Annber,

The maximum pixel resolution for FS04 is 4.7

Now, what Blue Sky has done is use a sample size of 2.2 in their data, but the created scenery is 4.7.

None of this has anything to do with your sound card, graphics card, monitor, system memory, or hardware.
    Jim,

Thanks, so if they are using a sample size of 2.2 in their data, does that translate into much better photoscenery, even if it indeed is created at 4.7?
    And I say this because I have a lot of his scenery, and in Oahu for example some of his scenery is 2.2 and some 4.7, and the areas with 2.2 look incredibly crisp even close to the ground, while the areas with the 4.7 do not look nearly as sharp.

The FS9 terrain system is limited to 4.7m. Scenery objects can be created with better resolution (don't know if there is any limit). Scenery objects can include planar surfaces which cover the terrain. You can, with SBuilder for example, create such objects at 2.2 or 1.1m resolution. Doing so requires tiling the planes, and creating matching sloped flattens so the hi-res objects sit right over the ground. Since airports are flattened anyway, it is easier to do this for airports. FSX terrain has a limit of .06m, but the same planar object method is also used to create even higher resolution.

Note that the terrain system has a limitation, in that the resolution you actually see is controlled by the LOD radius system, whereas scenery objects are only controlled by the internal object visibility settings, and the texture mipping process.

It should also be noted that terrain is limited, in that the "LOD13" quad is defined as 256x256 points and is commonly referred to as 1.3 km on a side (resulting in the 1.3/256 = 4.7m limit). But in actuality LOD13 quads are defined in terms of degrees lat/lon and so the latitude of the quad affects how the 256x256 are actually distributed over the surface. IIRC the 1.3 km on a side is pretty much true about 45 degrees lat. Also when you deform the quad with mesh, it tends to stretch the texture resulting in reduced resolution (worst on steep surfaces).

scott s.
    Last edited by scott967; 03-10-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Sorry, I misunderstood the question. BTW, I meant VIDEO card not SOUND card. Thanks for the correction.
    Stan