Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tendency to be moving away from FS2004 into FSX

Default Tendency to be moving away from FS2004 into FSX

There seems to be a definite trend for FS2004 users to be moving towards FSX. Probably the logical reason behind this is that the modern computers can now cope much more adequately with FSX. At one time, not so long ago, theres seemed to be a strong preference for FS2004.
    I'm curious about how readers feel about this - in fact I'm posting this on the FS2004 forum as well. I now have adequate computer power to run FSX, and would actually like to make the move, but have calculated that I'm in for a minimum of $300 just to get going and replace the basic payware scenery and planes I have. This, apart from the hours its going to take me to reinstall and to download the equivalent freeware scenery.

What do you guys feel about the future trends? I'm not going into the comparisons between FSX and FS2004 as this has already been much discussed in the forums.

Stan

I think the trend relates to exactly what you have cited, the availability of hardware that will run FSX, not just adequately, but well. As FS9 users computers age and are being replaced, I assume they are being brought into the FSX performance realm.
    The major issue IMO, is that FSX's default environment is an improvement over the previous release in many ways.
    Many of us have all of our previous iterations of FS installed, so, it is not an issue of FS9 being abandoned...Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW
    16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)
    WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)
    Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

Hi , I two upgraded to a new computer as my old one.........well ..got old , the new one is in the FSX performance realm but i have also installed FS2004 as well. I think FSX will become even more popular with flight simmers than it already is but i also think that at least for now 2004 will remain within flight simmers harts.
    At the moment i am using both FSX & 2004 but i must admit FSX is growing on me a lot

I really don't see much of a migration. Those with FS2004 today are very unlikely to move in my experience. They have fully developed worlds in FS2004 with great performance and just are not interested in rebuilding.

While there is substantially less of a need for payware scenery in FSX, even the best computers cannot handle really complex FSX payware airports with realistic AI loads yet. So folks with really good FS2004 airports tend to stay there. Those who are wanting to reach for something more than FS2004 are sitting on the fence, waiting for more information on MS Flight.

What I see is more and more new people who have never used FS2004. It is obvious FSX is still growing, but I think that growth is much more new folks than conversions.
    Hello Dave

@ PawPaw's house - near KADS, Addison, Texas, USA

Of coarse people are moving away from FS2004 into FSX. Where else can you get such a great tweak simulator. You just have to try all the Jesus Altuve tweaks and of course the great NickN's tweaking document. Get that i7 processor overclocked to almost 5GHz, throw in a overclocked GTX 570 video card and join the tweaking club! Just try that with FS2004 where all you get to do is enjoy flight simulation.

Regards, Mike Mann

Had I not lost my disk for FS4 probably would still be running that, FSX does run well on my base model laptop. The basic scenery still keeps me happy, Meigs field is the only item that stands out as what I am missing from my FS4 experience, spent a lot of time at that little airport through the years of Flight Simulator.

Quote Originally Posted by CrzyMtnMan View Post
    Had I not lost my disk for FS4 probably would still be running that, FSX does run well on my base model laptop. The basic scenery still keeps me happy, Meigs field is the only item that stands out as what I am missing from my FS4 experience, spent a lot of time at that little airport through the years of Flight Simulator.
    If you miss Meigs, do a search in the library here using Meigs as the search criteria and limit the search to FSX scenery - three files show up. Actually two versions and one update. Perhaps one of them will be suitable for you.

Hope that helps.
    David "Opa" Marshall

Thanks, I am going to look into putting it back. I know one day that disk will pop back up, all my computer software went missing in my last move, I would declare it stolen, but I was the only one moving the stuff, will probably spend the better half of the afternoon searching through some boxes I have in storage now.

I got a new PC and that was the point at which I moved to fsx. It struggled a little and I have since got another.

So the main reason I stuck with fs9 so long was that I had so many addons for it, had made so many tweaks to it, I didn't want to start again.

But then I saw fsx on someone elses machine and knew that I was going to have to take the plunge sooner or later and it might just as well be sooner.

I did leave fs9 installed for four or five months but never went back.

IAN
    Ryzen 5600X, AM4, Zen+ 6 Core 12 thread
    Nvidia 3070 Founders edition 16 Gig RAM - Windows 10
    MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition
    Resolution 1920 x 1080

I do have FSX and it is very good...a great improvement over FS9, I am delaying installing FSX, what I have seen is almost..and I say almost a large number of the airplanes are payware, there appears to be few real native freeware planes being made for FSX the remainder are port overs from FS9, it appears that payware planes are taking over FSX, the popularity of MS Fltsim was that people made freeware planes and airports this is what made it great, I will stay with FS9 for now.

Cheers

Casey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast