Thread: Windows 7 and FS 2004 aircraft.cfg problem

Question Windows 7 and FS 2004 aircraft.cfg problem

Recently purchased new computer that is loaded with Windows 7. I added FS2004 and when I downloaded some textures to change an aircraft(MD95), the aircraft.cfg file, I am beng denied access to change anything within it.What do I do? Will only save it to my documents and not as a cfg file.
    Stuken

Quote Originally Posted by stuken View Post
    Recently purchased new computer that is loaded with Windows 7. I added FS2004 and when I downloaded some textures to change an aircraft(MD95), the aircraft.cfg file, I am beng denied access to change anything within it.What do I do? Will only save it to my documents and not as a cfg file.
    Stuken
    Apparently you installed FS2004 under the default "program files" which subjects it to the well known "Permissions Issues" problems. Most now suggest FS be installed elsewhere to help mimimize those issues - such as under C:\FSGames or a similiar location.

But rather than uninstall and re-install, try two things:

a. Right click on the shortcut which starts FS2004 and under "compatibility" set it to run "as adminstrator".

b. Temporarily turn off UAC (User Account Control) - under your security settings - when making such additions or edits.

I do not recommend leaving it turned off, especially if others have access to your computer.

Ler us know if those ideas help.
    Last edited by opaplano; 12-08-2010 at 08:52 PM.
    David "Opa" Marshall

I am having the same problem. I got a new computer with Windows 7, FSX Gold Edition. I download and install a new texture for a default aircraft for example. I open the Aircraft CFG file to add the new texture information. When I go to save and close, I get the message telling me the file already exists, do I want to overwrite it. I say yes and I get "Access Denied". I tried the above suggestions, and still get the same message. My FSX installed in "Program Files (x86)", what ever that means!

Quote Originally Posted by rd0828 View Post
    I am having the same problem. I got a new computer with Windows 7, FSX Gold Edition. I download and install a new texture for a default aircraft for example. I open the Aircraft CFG file to add the new texture information. When I go to save and close, I get the message telling me the file already exists, do I want to overwrite it. I say yes and I get "Access Denied". I tried the above suggestions, and still get the same message. My FSX installed in "Program Files (x86)", what ever that means!
    You apparently still do not have your "permissions" set properly and/or you did not get UAC turned off temporarily.

There is a dedicated Win 7 forum here:

http://forum.avsim.net/forum/348-the-win7-os-forum/

There are numerous posts on this subject there as well as threads which may help you understand why installing FSX under Program files was not be best option.

Program Files (x86) is simply the name of the folder under which your FSX was installed.
    David "Opa" Marshall