Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: having fun with old games

Default having fun with old games

i have had many military games on my computer since ive had one, first one would have been USNF '97 (still have the cd and manual), then i had a game called apache longbow. Ive never had any commercially made or well known and respected ones like in the CFS series.

Just yesterday i found a small store in a local town (while waiting for the car to be worked on at a garage) and its some low budget idea it has for everything is kinda like a hidden gem, so i found a display of pc games i hadnt seen on shelves in maybe 10 years or had not seen ever. I found a game called crimson skies. Go ahead laugh, probably the most laughed at or riddiculed or not liked...i on the other had love it. On the cd cover says its for Win 95/98/2000/ME but i got it working great for XP.

This post might look like a wast of time but i wanted to ask, if you still have an age old comp mil/comm combat sim/game do you play it at all or is it still in the origional box waiting for someone else to have it...?

Curious that you asked that... I believe there are still nowadays many games worth playing, I am thinking to titles like:

Janes's F-15 Strike Eagle
    EF-2000
    Falcon IV
    EECH/AH

Some of those games are also multiplayer-capable. Personally I have always enjoyed the EF-2000 dynamic campain in Sweden/Norway.

Alas, existing computers are so powerful and far away in terms of OS, that it is almost impossible to play with modern hw/sw.

Cheers,

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by darrenvox View Post
    i have had many military games on my computer since ive had one, first one would have been USNF '97 (still have the cd and manual), then i had a game called apache longbow. Ive never had any commercially made or well known and respected ones like in the CFS series.
    Darren,

I remember USNF '97! That was the first 'shoot 'em up' sim I owned... loved the background voices calling out "Fox 2"!

I had one called Fighter Duel, but could never get the hang of it because the bogeys were too hard to see until they were literally next to you. When CFS and CFS2 came out they sure were the cream of the crop... I now use IL-2 Sturmovik 1946, and it's pretty challenging, especially landing on the carriers! I fire up CFS and [email protected] on a fairly regular basis too.

Alan

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen
    AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

I got CFS1 and Pacific war and still fire them up every now and then in fact I run 2 versions of CFS1 the standard version and then another version I imported all FS98 scenery into to fly modern jets in its totaly cool

ive never had CFS ever

Darren,

Methinks you would thoroughly enjoy yourself with CFS or CFS2, as a nice change of pace from flying the big stuff and to work on a different set of flight skills, like ACM (Air Combat Maneuvering). There's nothing like having a FW-190 on your six, pulling a High Yo-Yo and coming back around on the 190's tail, .50's blazing! (That's CFS).

In CFS2, I set up a little scenario similar to the movie "The Final Countdown", where a two ship of F-14's encounter two Japanese A6M2 Zeroes... fun, fun, fun! here's the scene from the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gChU-mGeBaM

You can find CFS2 in the bargain software bins at bookstores and office supply stores... CFS is kinda hard to find new but eBay should have some cheap. You can import A/C up to some FS 2002 birds, but FS 2000 birds are the most compatible.

CFS3 is a different animal, and has a completely different FDE associated with it. I didn't like the 'feel' of the sim... kinda like an arcade game.

Just some musings for you to ponder. And remember... Check your Six!

Cheers!

Alan

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen
    AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

turbogus Guest

I've got the first three CFS and used to enjoy them immensely, but now I see my Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar is no longer recognized for even basic flight control. Puzzling that.

My first combat sim was subLogic Flight Simulator for Apple //e, circa 1983. This was before Micro$oft bought the franchise from Bruce Artwick. It had a radar-equipped Sopwith Camel, using space bar to fire. I still run it occasionally on an Apple emulator.

I first played a combat flight simulator on a PC back in 1995 and I am sure that it was called TFX. Five years afterwards I discovered that the game had turned into Total Air War which I played religiously between 2000 and 2006. Never really gone for WW1 simulators but I began an interest in WW2 which lasts to this day with CFS1 in 2003. I stopped playing jet fighter sims in 2006 and these days can be found playing Warbirds 2017 or IL2 Series Ultimate Edition though B-17: The Mighty Eighth still works on my current PC too.

TFX was a jet fighter combat flight simulator which I also came across in 1995. For some reason IIRC it placed you in the cockpit of a Eurofighter EF2000 as it was / Eurofighter Typhoon as it is known better now. Total Air War had a similar concept and the same threat library as TFX attached to it but featured the Lockheed Martin F-22A Lightning. However it was mostly based on being an AWACS / Fighter and Resource Co-Ordination simulator set on board a Boeing E-3B Sentry Advanced Warning and Airborne Control System aircraft. Too right though what I saw of it was very addictive and to transfer instantly into the F-22A cockpit all you had to do was click on one of the friendly unit icons on your radar screen.

WW2 has thrown up some fine combat flight sims such as B-17: The Mighty Eighth and the IL-2 Sturmovik legacy. However I cannot say the same for Warbirds 2017 as hardly anything flies in Full Realism flight mode and playing online using the Multiplayer facility is only possible using Full Realism. Even on high power settings none of the aircraft seem to be able to climb without stalling and spinning out and dogfighting manoeuvers seem to be practically impossible! Some of the single engined fighters won't even take off without stalling irretrievably just a few feet above the runway. Realism? Rubbish more like!
    'On the day you finally think you have nothing more to learn in aviation ... Either leave or retire!'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast