Thread: Devil's Tower Wyoming

1. Default Devil's Tower Wyoming

An obvious novice with regard to Flight Simulator (FSX10) since only owning the latest version for about three months. I have actually found it to be profoundly addictive but enough about me.

I have been visiting numerous geographical locations during my acclamation and learning curve with the software, especially in the United States and have been reasonably impressed with its replication with regard to prominent landmarks. But alas, my latest adventure has left me in a profound state of turmoil.

Taking off from the Hulett Municipal Airport located in Hulett, Wyoming I was quite excited about flying to Devil’s Tower made quite famous as you know by Stephen Spielberg’s movie, Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Almost immediately after takeoff as I turned southwest toward the subject mountain I could easily see it in the distance. But….there was something tragically amiss. As I approached I became more and more disappointed. It looked like a dunce hat. It had a very pronounced and pointed peak. Where were the aliens suppose to land? Devil’s Tower is suppose to be flat on top! It has all been quite unsettling as you might imagine.

So….how complicated would it be to chop about a third off the top of that mountain? Or are those type of scenery modifications even possible….?

Thanks for your comments.
    Dawdler

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	devils tower.JPG 
Views:	350 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	80454
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawdler View Post
    So….how complicated would it be to chop about a third off the top of that mountain? Or are those type of scenery modifications even possible….?
    It can be quite simple if you use a tool such as Airport Design Editor. The attached picture shows Devils Tower after opening WY14 Ippy Ranch in ADE and adding an airport flatten polygon with exclude autogen at 5100' and a desert rock landclass polygon at the landmark location, which is just outside the airfield radius.

Art
    Gygabyte GA-Z170-HD3P MB, Intel i5-6600K 4.1Ghz CPU, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960-2GB Graphics, Skill 8GB DDR4-2800 SDRAM, Patriot 240GB SSD, WD 320GB HD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, FSX Deluxe w/Acceleration, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

3. Default

Art...

Very nice! Thanks for your comment and for the information.

Art,

I saw your picture of the modified Devil's Tower and was very impressed. I decided I'd like to add the suggested changes to the default scenery. I downloaded ADE and the additional required programs and successfully installed them.
    When you say the changes are "quite simple", at what audience was that directed? The question was posted by a self-described "obvious novice" and as such I felt the procedure wouldn't require much in the way of proficiency using ADE. I started ADE and finally located WY14 but am at a loss as to how to proceed.
    If it is, in fact simple could you please provide a step by step procedure or alternatively guidance on how to develop sufficient proficiency to make the task simple.

Thanks, Jim F.

Quote Originally Posted by jandjfrench View Post
    When you say the changes are "quite simple", at what audience was that directed? The question was posted by a self-described "obvious novice" and as such I felt the procedure wouldn't require much in the way of proficiency using ADE. I started ADE and finally located WY14 but am at a loss as to how to proceed.
    If it is, in fact simple could you please provide a step by step procedure or alternatively guidance on how to develop sufficient proficiency to make the task simple.
    The change is simple relative to many other scenery changes that can be made in FSX. I was not considering the learning curve necessary for a first-time user of ADE. A very good instruction manual is included with the ADE download, and I can't explain each of the steps in my original post better than it. One thing I didn't mention was that you need to start FSX and move your aircraft to devils tower in slew mode. Then, connect ADE to FSX to show the Devils Tower location on the WY14 display in ADE.

You can then draw a "terrain polygon" around the point 800' across, properties type = "Airport Background", tag = "Flatten Exclude AutoGen", Alt (feet) = "5100". As an option, you can include another polygon around the original (properties type = "Landclass", tag = "Desert Rock") which will remove the green textures on top and around Devils Tower. When you compile the changes in ADE, multiple .bgl files will be added to FSX. The Devils Tower changes occur in the file with the _CVX suffix. Others can be discarded.

Any time you create an airport flatten at an altitude substantially higher than the surrounding terrain, you will get cliffs similar in appearance to the sides of Devils Tower. That's why this landmark is a "quite simple" scenery creation.

Art
    Gygabyte GA-Z170-HD3P MB, Intel i5-6600K 4.1Ghz CPU, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960-2GB Graphics, Skill 8GB DDR4-2800 SDRAM, Patriot 240GB SSD, WD 320GB HD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, FSX Deluxe w/Acceleration, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

Hi Art,

I felt that "simple" was a relative term, but I wasn't sure to what it was relative. I should have stated as much in my post.
    Thanks for your reply. It's actually more detailed than I had hoped. I learn by doing and I think that this project will be an invaluable learning experience.

Jim F.