Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seaplane take offs

Default Seaplane take offs

How does one get airborne in a seaplane that has no undercarriage?
    I have no seaplane bases in my scenery, so is it a case of downloading one or is there a button combo to use like getting a glider tow??

tar in advance.

Arrow

What seaplane are we talking about?

3. Default

Start your flight at a seaplane base.
    https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=44567&dateline=1257967602
    Maintain thine airspeed, lest the ground rise up and smite thee.
    http://ospreyaircharter.com/

You can pause the sim, LEAVE SIM PAUSED, then go select the Seaplane. When it loads it will be suspended in air. You then un-pause and hit the 'Y' key as quick as you can to 'catch' it before it start tip over and or thumbling in air. With it 'caught' by SLEW you then hit F4 to raise it up in altitute. Hit keypad '5' key to stop. Then use keypad '8' key to go forward, '5' to stop. F1 will bring it down (fast). Try the keypad keys for moving right (6), left (4), back (2), even when you're moving. Fun activity for a dull day. You can then slew over to where there is water. I use Half Moon Bay (KHAF) as it's close to 'home' and has water at end of runways. What I mean is that you can 'Go To Airport' (any airport) then slew to where there's water. You can use the top-down view and after slew up enought to clear mountains you can see where the water is and then just 'navigate' with keypad keys to the body of water. There are a lot of Sea Port but they are hard to see on Map, or GPS (must zoom way in). Slew has it's place. So don't be shy about using it. It's a tool. Use it. Whatever it takes to get you flying. Cheers.
    CB
    Napamule
    Last edited by napamule2; 09-14-2010 at 01:59 PM. Reason: add

This is a link to a listing of all the default airports - including water based ones - in FS2004:

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?...root&Go=Search

Hope that helps.
    David "Opa" Marshall

6. Default

You can also use the mapview to move the plane over water.
    Then set the altitude to the waterlevel and you're floating.

Oh yeah? And how did you get the Seaplane loaded to where you can see it in map view? You have to FIRST load it to be able to see it in map view-THAT IS THE PROBLEM the OP was wondering about. Loading it (without it going into a spin on load, as it don't have 'undercarriage' (ie: wheels)).

The practical way to do it is to give it 'wheel' contact points, in cfg, as that would allow you to load it AS IF it had wheels (which it don't). But a lot of simmers don't know how to do this. But, will have to try loading it while sim is paused and then see if one can get map view. If I can get map view then one could 'move the plane over water', etc, as jerogen79 said. I learn something new everyday (so I keep an 'open mind' about it - emphasis on the 'open' (hehe)).
    CB
    Napamule

Quote Originally Posted by napamule2 View Post
    You can pause the sim, LEAVE SIM PAUSED, then go select the Seaplane. When it loads it will be suspended in air. You then un-pause and hit the 'Y' key as quick as you can to 'catch' it before it start tip over and or thumbling in air. With it 'caught' by SLEW you then hit F4 to raise it up in altitute. Hit keypad '5' key to stop. Then use keypad '8' key to go forward, '5' to stop. F1 will bring it down (fast). Try the keypad keys for moving right (6), left (4), back (2), even when you're moving. Fun activity for a dull day. You can then slew over to where there is water. I use Half Moon Bay (KHAF) as it's close to 'home' and has water at end of runways. What I mean is that you can 'Go To Airport' (any airport) then slew to where there's water. You can use the top-down view and after slew up enought to clear mountains you can see where the water is and then just 'navigate' with keypad keys to the body of water. There are a lot of Sea Port but they are hard to see on Map, or GPS (must zoom way in). Slew has it's place. So don't be shy about using it. It's a tool. Use it. Whatever it takes to get you flying. Cheers.

Oh yeah? And how did you get the Seaplane loaded to where you can see it in map view? You have to FIRST load it to be able to see it in map view-THAT IS THE PROBLEM the OP was wondering about. Loading it (without it going into a spin on load, as it don't have 'undercarriage' (ie: wheels)).

The practical way to do it is to give it 'wheel' contact points, in cfg, as that would allow you to load it AS IF it had wheels (which it don't). But a lot of simmers don't know how to do this. But, will have to try loading it while sim is paused and then see if one can get map view. If I can get map view then one could 'move the plane over water', etc, as jerogen79 said. I learn something new everyday (so I keep an 'open mind' about it - emphasis on the 'open' (hehe)).
    CB
    Napamule
    Aren't you making this more difficult than it actually should be?

What's wrong with simply loading the floatplane (or boat) from the aircraft menu and then slewing to the water location? I just did it to make sure I wasn't crazy and the floatplane I loaded didn't tumble, spin, or crash when I selected it. And yes I have crash enabled. The floats were sunk into the tarmac but then I selected slew mode and away I went.

And even if you did have a problem with the floatplane upon loading then the other method would be to load a plane with wheels first and then select slew mode and while in slew mode select the floatplane from the aircraft menu. No need to do all that stuff you were talking about not unless I'm misunderstanding something.

So to the OP, first goto an airport near the location where you want to start your floatplane, select the floatplane and then press the "Y" key to start slew mode and then move the floatplane to the water body where you want to start at. If that doesn't work then select slew mode before selecting the floatplane. Once you slew to the point where you want to start then you can save the flight at that point and then you will always be able to start from that point by selecting that saved flight.

Todd
    Last edited by TPerson; 09-15-2010 at 01:26 AM.

Thanks for all the replies, I did the simple option of the map view n draggin the a/c icon towards a large puddle ;-)....

thanks again...

As with any solution, there are more than one way to do something.

All the member's suggestions and advice here are good. So, take it all in, then try each and see what is best for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast