Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AI flight models vs. User Aircraft models

Default AI flight models vs. User Aircraft models

What's the difference between the models of AI aircraft and the user aircraft we fly ourselves? Is it a big deal to turn a user aircraft into an AI model as well? I know AI's don't need sound or panel files but what about the model itself, flight characteristics etc?
    I have some of my own aircraft I'd like to use as AI's. thanks

I heard that some AI Planes are flyable come with panel and sound it depends on but it is not very good with AI plane flyable.

Stuart

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Honus View Post
    What's the difference between the models of AI aircraft and the user aircraft we fly ourselves?
    user aircraft have more detailed exterior and interior models. these require a good amount of CPU cycles to render. a large quantity of 'user designed' AI would make your framerates <1/sec.

user aircraft have more detailed flight dynamics and variables for flight control. AI 'captains' cannot control all of these variables.

--
    D.Scobie

There are two very different aspects of AI and UI aircraft.

As mentioned above the UI model is significantly more detailed than a proper AI model. On the order of 20,000 to near 100,000 polygons for the exterior model. Frequently several texture files for a UI model, sometimes dozens of texture files.

An AI model should have under 3,000 polygons if it is a large aircraft, down below 2,000 polygons for most aircraft. And at best two texture files. So 10% to 2% of the detail of a UI model and much, much less detail in the repaint itself.

But you question was on the Flight Dynamics.

Basically a UI model flight dynamics should be based on the actual real world aircraft performance.

Where an AI model flight dynamics are usually tweaks of the default B737 or Lear 45. AI model flight dynamics are not designed to match the performance of the real world aircraft when flown by the user. They are designed to provide a fair representation of the real world aircraft when flown by the AI engine.

Many AI aircraft are way, way too light when compared to the real aircraft. 150,000 lbs for the B747 fully loaded for a popular AI model. They are not designed to carry real fuel loads because AI aircraft fly at the aircraft empty_weight and do not 'burn fuel' when flown as AI.

The B747 I mentioned can have a maximum of 47,000 lbs fuel and cargo before being overweight.

Many of the 'failings' of the default aircraft flight dynamics are compromises necessary for the aircraft to be able to fly well as AI.

Bottom line, if you choose to use an AI aircraft as a UI aircraft by adding a panel and sound - almost always you are choosing to fly an aircraft with more compromised flight dynamics than the default aircraft.
    Last edited by ReggieF5421; 07-16-2010 at 11:39 AM.
    Hello Dave

@ PawPaw's house - near KADS, Addison, Texas, USA

i install one time a old continental ai package just only ai package so when i wanna check the ai planes of continental i sow a tinmouse 737-200 continental flying i dont know ho i did but i guess is something in the continental ai package
    My Flightsimulator videos!! check it out : http://www.youtube.com/user/loskeros254

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieF5421 View Post
    There are two very different aspects of AI and UI aircraft.

As mentioned above the UI model is significantly more detailed than a proper AI model. On the order of 20,000 to near 100,000 polygons for the exterior model. Frequently several texture files for a UI model, sometimes dozens of texture files.

An AI model should have under 3,000 polygons if it is a large aircraft, down below 2,000 polygons for most aircraft. And at best two texture files. So 10% to 2% of the detail of a UI model and much, much less detail in the repaint itself.

But you question was on the Flight Dynamics.

Basically a UI model flight dynamics should be based on the actual real world aircraft performance.

Where an AI model flight dynamics are usually tweaks of the default B737 or Lear 45. AI model flight dynamics are not designed to match the performance of the real world aircraft when flown by the user. They are designed to provide a fair representation of the real world aircraft when flown by the AI engine.

Many AI aircraft are way, way too light when compared to the real aircraft. 150,000 lbs for the B747 fully loaded for a popular AI model. They are not designed to carry real fuel loads because AI aircraft fly at the aircraft empty_weight and do not 'burn fuel' when flown as AI.

The B747 I mentioned can have a maximum of 47,000 lbs fuel and cargo before being overweight.

Many of the 'failings' of the default aircraft flight dynamics are compromises necessary for the aircraft to be able to fly well as AI.

Bottom line, if you choose to use an AI aircraft as a UI aircraft by adding a panel and sound - almost always you are choosing to fly an aircraft with more compromised flight dynamics than the default aircraft.

I was thinking more in reverse - using one of my Concorde user aircraft as an AI since there aren't really good Concorde AI's out there other than Mr. Murchison's. And his disappears on landing. I got a message from him that he gave up on it long time ago and was never able to pinpoint the problem.

If you have filename concorde.ico so remove to other folder for back up. you don't need a concorde.ico in aircraft's folder. It worked fine landing no disappear landing anymore.

Stuart

mmm, that's interesting. I don't see that file, however. I see 'acfu' etc. not sure what that is. But the rest of it looks like it belongs there. Was it in one of the texture folders or just by itself in the aircraft's folder?

Quote Originally Posted by Honus View Post
    mmm, that's interesting. I don't see that file, however. I see 'acfu' etc. not sure what that is. But the rest of it looks like it belongs there. Was it in one of the texture folders or just by itself in the aircraft's folder?
    aircraft folder by AI Concorde.

not in texture it comes list from aircraft.cfg, concorde.air and concorde.ico if you see concorde.ico just rename or moved

Stuart

There are two versions of Murchison's Concorde in the file library

Name: aisconc.zip Size: 741,261 Date: 10-18-2003 Downloads: 4,856
    --- is version 1.1. Within the second nested zip file is the installer - AIS CONCORDE SST.exe. That file produces a folder with the icon file concorde.ico. The concorde.air file is dated 8/24/2003 and the aircraft.cfg file is dated 10/11/2003.

Name: aisaicon.zip Size: 1,108,881 Date: 09-06-2003 Downloads: 5,697 --- is an earlier version. Within the second nexted zip file is the installer - CONC_BASE.exe. That file produces a folder without the file concorde.ico. The concorde.air file is dated 8/23/2003 and aircraft.cfg file is dated 8/25/2003.

They both appear to have the same model file and texture files. The difference is that the older file include Jon's ACFU texture update program and the newer program includes an uninstal program. The User Guide with the v1.1 file says the disappearing model issue has been fixed.

Note - I do not know for sure, but I suspect the testing of Jon's model was for airports EGLL, LFPG and KJFK only. Those are used in the FP supplied.

Also note that due to the dates of the files, any FS2004 testing was done long before the FS9.1 patch was released. I do not know if that would impact the aircraft or not. The 9.1 patch did provide an updated AI_Playr.dll file.

My memory is that Jon's aircraft worked pretty well and there was no disappearing aircraft problem with FS2002. I never got around to installing it for FS2004 until 2005 or later and have seen it a few times at JFK, Heathrow and CDG. Don't think I've ever bothered to watch it approach and land.
    Hello Dave

@ PawPaw's house - near KADS, Addison, Texas, USA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast