Thread: 32 vs 64

Default 32 vs 64

I have Win 7 Pro 32bit(oem) installed in a swappable HD in a tray. I'm ready to pop for "Gold", add another tray with HD and install all of my FS versions, a copy of 7, a browser, and nothing else on it. Other than accessing more than 3.2GB RAM, why do I see so many recommendations for the 64bit version to run FSX(32bit)? Is it worth paying for another 7 Key?

I'm planning on creating folder path; C:\FS98....C:\FS2000, etc. With each sim in its own folder in C:\, are there issues/conflicts with other folders inside of Windows, ie; .dlls with the same name etc.? Should I create an intermediate folder to install to, such as C:\Flightsims. Right now they reside in seperate Trays/OSs. Thanx, Don

Under 32 bit Windows FSX is limited to a max of 2GB of memory. Using the /3GB switch this can be increased a bit, but at the expense of the operating system's memory. All of this becomes an issue under FSX because with higher settings and/or the more detailed add-ons, the sim will run into out of memory errors on a 32 bit OS. When you run FSX SP2 or Acceleration under a 64 bit operating system, the sim will have access of up to 4GB of memory.

After doing a forum search and seeing OOM posts, I was afraid of that! Oh well, drives and trays are cheap(relatively speaking) 7x64 will just have to wait. I'll survive on 32 for a while longer. Still need feedback on having FS98/2000/9/FSX resident on the same drive/OS. Trying to head off problems before, and not have to fix after. Thanx for the quick response...Don

There shouldn't be any problem giving each sim its own folder on the C drive. I've done it before with FS2004 and FSX.