How to build a computer, by Senior Member Paxx

tigisfat

Flight Sim enthusiasts demand the most from their systems. Many have thought about building their own, but building a computer for the first time can be an intimidating experience. Conversely having your own custom built computer allows you to extract the most performance possible while keeping cost typically lower than commercially available systems.

Anyone who wants to undertake such a task, while relatively simple, needs to remember that they have to do so at their own risk. Paxx created this helpful guide for a member posting here, but this guide is by no means the word or advice of flightsim.com, it's owners or any associated businesses or websites, nor is it the last word on how to build a computer.

-----------------------------------------------------

If you can use a screwdriver you can build a computer. It is important to understand and follow the correct anti-static electricity prevention procedures.

Here are the basic steps off the top of my head.

1) Admire all your new components laid out on a table, take a picture.

2) Open the motherboard box and read the manual. Open the CPU box and read the manual. Open CPU heat sink box and read the manual.

3) Install the CPU onto the motherboard.

4) Install the CPU heat sink paying particular attention to the thermal compound application.

5) Install the RAM, paying attention to the correct configuration outlined in the motherboard manual.

6) Install the motherboard into the case using the brass motherboard posts supplied with your case.

7) Install your CD/DVD/BR burner and any other accessory components you will have sticking out of the front of your system (media readers, fan controllers, additional USB ports etc.).Connect it/them to the motherboard with supplied cable(s).

8) Install your hard drive(s) and connect it/them to the motherboard with supplied cable(s).

9) Install your video card into the correct slot for your motherboard, consult motherboard manual.

10) Install any additional 'out-the-back' PCI/PCIe components (sound card, TV tuner, 56k modem etc.).

11) Install any additional case fans.

12) Install your Power Supply Unit (PSU).

13) Connect your case's front panel (Power switch, Reset switch, Power LED indicator, HD (hard drive) activity LED, USB/Sound/eSATA) leads to the motherboard as described in, you guessed it, your motherboard manual.

14) Run your power cables from the PSU to the system components. You will need to connect the motherboard main power supply, CPU power, video card power, CD/DVD/BR burner and any other accessory components power, hard drive(s) power and your case fans. Once again you will need to consult your manuals.

15) Assemble your case sides you are done inside (hopefully).

16) Attach your monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, and anything else.

17) Consult motherboard manual BIOS section for how to access the BIOS upon powering up.

18) Power up and enter the BIOS.

19) Look around. Check your BIOS system monitor (may be called something else) CPU/system temperatures.

20) Exit BIOS changing nothing.

21) Insert Windows 7 disk.

22) Reboot and follow the prompts, installing your operating system.

23) Locate and download your latest motherboard chipset, sound, and LAN drivers from the manufacturer. Do the same for all your other component drivers (video card, sound card if separate, modem etc.). This can be done before assembly.

24) Install your drivers starting with the motherboard drivers.

25) Reboot and your computer is ready for use.

-----------------------------------------------------

Anyone who wants to undertake such a task, while relatively simple, needs to remember that they have to do so under their own risk. Paxx created this helpful guide for a member posting here, but this guide is by no means the word or advice of flightsim.com, it's owners or any associated businesses or websites. Paxx is not liable either!

FAA Certified Flight Instructor, ATP/Commercial Pilot and Airframe/Powerplant mechanic CFI/CFII/MEII/ATP-MEL/A&P

American Corporate Pilot

AMD X6 1090T black edition CPU, liquid cooled

NVIDIA GTX 480 1.5Gb GPU

8G DDR3-1600 RAM

3TB storage, plain hard drives

• 9 months later...

Okay, am I supposed to buy indivdual materials and assemble them or take apart my computer that I have?

Or do I buy some kit?

AMD Phenom II Black Edition 960T @ 3.0 GHz, AMD XFX Radeon HD 6700 Series, Asus M4A87T, 8 GB Ram, Hitachi 500 GB 32mb cache 7200 RPM , Windows 7 64 bit, Coolmax 600w power supply

Okay, am I supposed to buy indivdual materials and assemble them or take apart my computer that I have?

Or do I buy some kit?

Pick One!

You can buy a barebones kit and expand on it, or not, upgrade specific components using your old computer, or make an all inclusive purchase and assemble it.

Research your parts thoroughly for compatibility.

Paxx's list #2 is the best line in the guide! Read the manuals...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

You can buy a prebuilt PC for about the same money as building it yourself, but you can build it with name brand components of your own specification. Most prebuilt PC's use less than desirable components, super cheap video cards and slow memory.

If you can use a screwdriver you can with care build your own PC.

Okay. Now one last thing, can there be a materials list here? And also products that Paxx highly recomends?
AMD Phenom II Black Edition 960T @ 3.0 GHz, AMD XFX Radeon HD 6700 Series, Asus M4A87T, 8 GB Ram, Hitachi 500 GB 32mb cache 7200 RPM , Windows 7 64 bit, Coolmax 600w power supply

And also, I want to make a supreme system. If you have FSX graphics set to highest level, does it affect the RAM, hard drive, or something else? Cause I want to take full advantage of FSX graphics quality, so I want to get the best of the best materials that will directly affect FSX qraphics quality, and run with a normal frame rate, not like 8 frames a minute.

Is this understandable, the way I am saying things? tell me if I need to explain more.

I probably erred greatly, by answering here the first time!

Specific Computer Hardware related questions would be better suited in the PC Hardware, Video, and Audio Help forum itself.

Those queries will be more visible to the members and won't have the detrimental effect of burying the actual guide...Moderator?...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds