Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2D landing light. Can they assigned a z-value?

Default 2D landing light. Can they assigned a z-value?

Are they configured somewhere I can access them and try to play around with the settings to see if I can figure something out.
    John
    Windows7, Asus M4A79XTD, AMD [email protected](17x236), 8Gb CorsairXMS DDR3 1600, HIS HD6970, LG 55" passive 3D 1080p(main view) TV, 20" 1680x1050 (gauges) monitor, 16" 768x1366 (radio) monitor
    The best a man can do is strive to be the person he believes God means him to be.

Blog Entries

What do you mean?
    I fly through the valley of death, but I fear no evil,for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing. Let's powerdive and scare that poor soul in that Ultralight there.

I've been playing around with stereoscopic gaming (again). In FS9 the runway lights were rendered in 3D. So with stereo enabled everything looked as it should. For some reason the boys at Microsoft change runway lights to 2D sprites in FSX. It had become a common practice for a few years in the latter part of the 90's to use sprites to save on rendering some aspects of the scene to gain framerates. I'm wondering if the 2D lights can be change into 3D lights. I saw 3D lights redux in the Pilot Shop. Does this program render the runway light in 3D?
    John
    Windows7, Asus M4A79XTD, AMD [email protected](17x236), 8Gb CorsairXMS DDR3 1600, HIS HD6970, LG 55" passive 3D 1080p(main view) TV, 20" 1680x1050 (gauges) monitor, 16" 768x1366 (radio) monitor
    The best a man can do is strive to be the person he believes God means him to be.

Blog Entries

Oh, I see. I think it does that - it certainly give that impression on their website. Most of the aircraft lights are spites too, so you may have to replace those, which 3DRedux does.
    I fly through the valley of death, but I fear no evil,for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing. Let's powerdive and scare that poor soul in that Ultralight there.

I think what you are looking for would be something like the way the landing lights were done on the Lotus L-39. That was done through some very clever (and complicated) modeling techniques. You can get a 3d effect on the light lens with the Shockwave lights, but the light splash on the runway will stay the same. I am unaware of any way to alter that.
    Robert Kerr
    3D Modeler & Texture Artist
    I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz, GTX-970 w/4GB, 8gb DDR 3 RAM, two SSDs, and Win 7 64 bit.

Blog Entries

I think he means the runway/taxiway lights, not the aircraft light splashes.

You could be right. The hazard of posting replies before you drink the morning coffee...
    Robert Kerr
    3D Modeler & Texture Artist
    I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz, GTX-970 w/4GB, 8gb DDR 3 RAM, two SSDs, and Win 7 64 bit.

Hi,

I am also in the process of investigating the possibility of the runway light being renedered in 3D. I have posted about this a number of times and have had no feed back, so it was interesting to see you also in the process. As I pointed out in one of my posts, the light emitted from the autogen cars are rendered in 3D but that is about all. In Fs9, the unticking of T&L allowed the runway lights to be seen correctly with the anaglyph glasses. If there was a way to do that with FSX, it may work, but how could you do that. I find using 100% depth the 3D effect is realistic but if you try to reduce the separation all the street lights, and stars in the sky sit on the face of the screen without the depth. The Z-Value you are talking about is the distance from your eyepoint to the light. As this is constantly changing, I should imagine it will be some sort of equation needed to get that reference. I have 3D-Redux but not the newer version of V1.2 that also does the runway lights, but from what I have seen with the version I have, it does not correctly render the aircraft lights in 3D. I also asked in a previous post if there was anyway to turn the runway lights off as the runway is still visible whan you get closer to it. Can anyone answer that for me?

Kind Regards

Bernie.
    Last edited by bernie1; 04-05-2010 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Spelling
    E8400 @ 3.0GHz, DDR2 Ram 800MHz 4Gb, Vista Home Premium 64Bit, MSI 9800GT @ 512Mb, Philips 22" LCD Widescreen, Cockpit Setup X 5 using Wideview and Widetraffic.

Blog Entries

No, you can't turn the runway lights on and off. Again, the new version of 3D Redux apears to fix this by rendering them in 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Jevans View Post
    No, you can't turn the runway lights on and off. Again, the new version of 3D Redux apears to fix this by rendering them in 3D.
    Thanks for that, I will have to purchase the new version and try.

Kind Regards

Bernie.
    E8400 @ 3.0GHz, DDR2 Ram 800MHz 4Gb, Vista Home Premium 64Bit, MSI 9800GT @ 512Mb, Philips 22" LCD Widescreen, Cockpit Setup X 5 using Wideview and Widetraffic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast