Help us help you - FSX problems.

Lately a lot of people have been posting questions about problems they are having with FSX and/or add-ons they have installed. Comments like "It was working great" and "It just suddenly happened" tell the person who may be able to solve your problem absolutely nothing.

If you have already searched these forums and Wiki for an answer to your problem but come up empty, here are some hints that will help us help you.

1) List your system specifications.

Knowing what kind of components make up your system will help us to determine if you are having a hardware problem, software problem or both. Knowing this information will allow the person who may solve your problem to eliminate possible causes also. So list your hardware; CPU (manufacturer and model), GPU (video card manufacturer, model and amount of VRAM), motherboard (or computer make and model if store bought), and amount of RAM on your system. If you don't know or know how to obtain this info, ask.

2) List your software environment.

Knowing what operating system, what bit version it is and whether you have it up to date or not, will help solve your problem. Also listing what your FSX install is composed of will help solve your problem. Do you have both service packs installed or Acceleration? If not list what you do have installed. Same goes for your system drivers, have you updated or changed them? Do you use popular add-ons for FSX? List them and what version they are if you do.

3) Be detailed as possible about what your FSX problem is.

Tell us or post a picture of what error messages you are receiving. Tell us what happens and what you where doing in the sim when it happened. Did you crash after awhile over such and such place? Tell us where it is and what aircraft you were flying along with any additional FSX related software you had running at the time. Tell us if you have changed drivers recently. Tell us if you have made any changes to your computer. Are you having trouble installing scenery or aircraft? Tell us precisely what you are installing and include the file name or version info also. Info, Info, Info will help us help you.

4) If you are having a problem with 3rd party add-ons be sure and check the developer's forum(s) first.

It is possible your problem is a common one and has been solved. Checking the developer's forum can save you and us time.

5) Be patient.

Sometimes even after discussing your problem a person may not be able to solve your problem. Do not fret most likely someone else will come along who can solve your problem.

Thanks,

-=paxx=-

Paxx. You may want to add that before they post, they do a search on the forum that may answer their question.

Bob G.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Intel i7 7700K 4.5 Ghz, GTX 1080 SC 1TB 7200RPM HDD, Samsung 500Gb SSHD, 750W PSU, P3DV4, Windows 10 64 bit Home Premium.REX,GEX,UTX. UTLive

If you aren't sure what CPU you are running, download CPU-Z from he link below.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Similarly for video cards, download GPU-Z.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

For a view of all hardware and software in/on your PC, Belarc Advisor is free (though they do try to sell you some of their other products). Be careful posting the full results of the generated report as it will contain your Windows product key, and Office's as well if installed.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Hi all,

Another suggestion would be to do what is done on techguy.org when a problem is solved - there is an option to mark the thread in question 'solved'. Perhaps Nels can implement something similar. This way, if a person does a forum search and gets back many hits, the first ones to check out would be those marked 'solved', if applicable of course.

Cheers,

Mike T.

http://www.jdtllc.com/images/rcv4bannersupporter.jpg

Hi all,

Another suggestion would be to do what is done on techguy.org when a problem is solved - there is an option to mark the thread in question 'solved'. Perhaps Nels can implement something similar. This way, if a person does a forum search and gets back many hits, the first ones to check out would be those marked 'solved', if applicable of course.

Cheers,

Mike T.

This idea is very bueno.

Windows 7 Intel Core2 Quad 2.34ghz 4GB RAM Nvidia GeForce 9800GT

Paxx. You may want to add that before they post, they do a search on the forum that may answer their question.

Bob G.

I'd add that they should also search the Wiki (link in the blue line above) for the problem. There are a number of FAQs and other help items there.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

• 3 months later...

I had to remove FSX Acceleration awhile ago ,due to problems,tried to repair first,but had no luck,Now I am trying to re-install the FSX Deluxe edition,and keep running into the same problem,error 1935,and then the install backs out.I was wondering if any one has any suggestions on how to fix this.

Mark

• 1 month later...

Could we also have this sticky (or perhaps a slightly edited version if Paxx thinks that would be better) placed on the hardware forum?

We are constantly getting questions over there with little to no system information being provided. Thanks!

Intel i7 8700K@4.8GHz / Swiftech X3 / Gigabyte Aorus 7 Gaming / 16 GB G.Skill DDR4 3200

500GB WD SSD (Win 10 Pro 64-bit) / 500GB Samsung 960 Pro (P3Dv4) / 240GB SanDisk SSD (P3D Misc.)

480GB SanDisk SSD (General Storage) / EVGA GTX1080/ Seasonic Platinum 850 watt

What would we do without our resident experts?! Without Paxx, Loki and Noell I wouldn't have the computer I have today! Well done chaps.

Tom - 737-800 F/O

Win 7 x64, Q9650 @3.5GHz, 4GB DDR2, 500GB + 1TB SATA2, 1GB HD 6870

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b135/tommchowat/boeing_logo_l.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guys,

Um, glad to be given space here. I spent the better part of last night trying to trace the above, without success. I downloaded an Airbus A300-600 for Fsx but only the wings appear.The rest is transparent, or something. But the installer manual came to my rescue hinting that such is the case if Service Pack 1 or 2 isn't loaded. Hence my frantic search.

Could anyone kindly sort me out here, please? Where do I go to, etc. Oh, and I got the bit about putting down my system specs and so on. Unfortunately, Im not very savvy in those things and should ask but again Im not sending this mail anywhere near my system. So, please, do bear with me and kinda note that my request isnt affected either way. Much thanks from me.

...and tons of regard,

Pirabee

You can download SP1 and SP2 from the FSInsider downloads page.

Mike

Intel Core i5 3570K - NZXT Havik 140 - ASUS P8Z77-V PRO - 16GB DDR3 2133 G.Skill Ares CL9 - Sapphire AMD 7970 3GB @ 1100/1500MHz - SanDisk Extreme 240GB - Samsung F1 750GB - Samsung F3 2TB - SilverStone FT02 - SilverStone Strider Plus 750W - Dell U2312HM - Windows 7 Professional 64-bit - CH Combatstick 568

Gee, thanks Mike.

Up up and away!

Mind, cos I may not be able to post how I fared fast enough as I mostly do my downloads at night(when our dead-slow network just barely manages to be faster), but Im glad I know where to go.

Again, gracias.:D

Pirabee

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I have a Dell XPS 420 computer. My computer will freeze up will running FSX every now and then. Is there any hardward upgrades I should consider?

RAM is 2.0 GB - could go to 4.0

Technology is DDR II SDRAM

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 / 2.4 GHz

Graphics Processor 256MB nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS

I have a Dell XPS 420 computer. My computer will freeze up will running FSX every now and then. Is there any hardward upgrades I should consider?

RAM is 2.0 GB - could go to 4.0

Technology is DDR II SDRAM

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 / 2.4 GHz

Graphics Processor 256MB nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS

You will be better served in the forum proper, rather than in a sticky most of us have read and generally ignore afterward...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

Archived