Thread: Decisions Decisions

Default Decisions Decisions

Hi,

This is my first post so go easy

I have used FSX for a bit on and off but want to really get into it now.

I have an Apple iMac and am getting fed up of using bootcamp and restarting it every time i want to use FSX

So... i've seen Xplane 9 and downloaded the demo. First impressions are its alot harder than FSX and to me it also seems totally unrealistic in how the plane handles.

For instance i take off in the C172 and can throw it about almost like x plane hasnt taken into consideration weight, mass, balance etc etc

Is this how a plane really handles and its FSX that is unrealistic or is it x plane that is unrealistic??

I need to sort this out as im considering selling my iMac and building a monster PC instead if FSX is the better one to go for.

Thanks for any answers

Matt

forgot to add im going to be studying for my PPL in April/May time so its even more important that the sim is realistic!

I hate to disappoint you, but if you're looking for good aircraft handling, few FSX aircraft do well, though there are a few 3rd party aircraft that do pretty well. I'm told the Real Air 172 is good, but I've not flown it myself. The Carenado aircraft I've tried aren't bad, and there are a couple of others.

In either FS or X-Plane, the aircraft developer controls how well the aircraft handles, though in FS you can use something such as AirEd to change handling yourself, but it's not easy -- a lot of trial and error, with a great deal of patience and persistence needed.

Still, on a PC you'll never get more than a fraction of the real world -- think of whichever system you use as a procedures trainer, since you canNOT learn to fly in a desktop sim. So you can learn that ailerons roll the aircraft, elevators are pitch (actually angle of attack) control, rudders are yaw control, and all three interact with each other AND with power. And you can learn how VORs work, and the flight instruments, but real aircraft are different.

So properly used, the sim can help you a lot, but it won't teach you to fly.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Hi Larry,

Thanks alot for the reply. Yeah i know it wont teach me to fly , would be nice though and save me 6000

I have just had another go of X-Plane 9 and don't like it so i have just ordered the latest FSX the FSX Gold with the Acceleration pack so i'm going to sell my iMac i think and build a powerful computer.

Also , the others you mentioned such as Realair, would that run in FSX or is it a totally different program and runs on its own?

thanks

Matt

RealAir make add-ons for FSX. http://www.realairsimulations.com/home.php?page=home

Cant vouch for their C172, but the Spitfire and Duke are awsome.

Carenado's C172's are great, in fact I liked their C172N so much I purchased all their add-ons

http://www.carenado.com/ecommerce/index.php3
    Last edited by Smiffy; 02-22-2010 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Link to Carenado
    I used to fly jets, but I got fed up with them calling me a retard every time I tried to land...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smiffy View Post
    RealAir make add-ons for FSX. http://www.realairsimulations.com/home.php?page=home

Cant vouch for their C172, but the Spitfire and Duke are awsome.

Carenado's C172's are great, in fact I liked their C172N so much I purchased all their add-ons

http://www.carenado.com/ecommerce/index.php3
    My son went through from PPL to Air Transport rating using FS9 and it's add-ons with great sucess. It certainly won't get youa PPL but it comes in handy when practiising under the hood for IFR training.

I'm led to believe that some flight training programs credit you with 1 hour real time for ebvery three hours spent on FS9 under their supervision. It's about $30 Cdn. an hour vs $250 in the aircraft with an instructor so it's worth having. He feels it accelerated his learning curve enough that it saved him many extra hours at the higher price before he got his licences.

Too bad 9-11 happened and all pilot opportunities dried up just when he was primed to fly for a living . . . oh well, now he works as a Hydro Lineman and makes about 3 to 4X what a pilot would make.
    ASUS
    Intel core i7-8700
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1070 8Gb
    DDR4 16G
    HDD 1TB
    SSD 256GB (M 2)

MSFS2020 Advanced system