Thread: No altitude GPWS call outs in FSX

Default No altitude GPWS call outs in FSX

Has anyone been able to get altitude call outs to work in FSX?

I would like to find a GPWS (ground proximity warning system) that will give you voice callouts when landing in FSX. This tells you how close you are to the ground. A GPWS gives you these callouts (in feet).

2500, 1000, 500, 400, 300, 200, 100, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10

I already have the Boeing callouts added to the sound file. I had no problem making the GPWS work in FS2004. The only call out that works when landing in FSX is "don't sink", even when I am right on glideslope. I tried installing FS2004 files, but it does not work in FSX

I would like to have the altitude call outs work in both the panel view and virtual cockpit.

Has anyone been able to do this?

Do a search on this site for a file named "Callv1" by Stefan Liebe....Use his name for the search feature and it is the last entry on the page...Lou

Hi,

This might help:

*The following is taken from “Horton’s Hints for FlightSimX” – Computer Pilot Magazine, January 2009*

GPWS is a system designed to alert pilots if their aircraft is in immediate danger of flying into the ground or an obstacle. The system monitors an aircraft’s height above ground as determined by a radar altimeter, though monitoring GPS is also possible in some aircraft. A computer then keeps track of the height above ground, calculates trends, and it will warn the crew with visual and audio messages if the aircraft is in certain defined flying configurations.

FSX includes a GPWS in the default Boeing 737-800 aircraft, with the following settings found in the [GPWS] section of its aircraft.cfg file.

• The height below which a warning is activated: max_warning_height=1000

• If an aircraft exceeds this rate of descent a warning is activated: sink_rate_fpm=1500

• If an aircraft exceeds this rate of descent an urgent warning is activated: excessive_sink_rate_fpm=2000

• If an aircraft starts to descend during takeoff and exceeds this rate of descent, a warning is activated: climbout_sink_rate_fpm=100

• If an aircraft is landing, and exceeds this rate of descent without flaps or gear extended, a warning is activated: flap_and_gear_sink_rate_fpm=100

Several add-on aircraft I’ve added to my FSX installation include a GPWS section in their aircraft.cfg files, and from my limited testing, that’s all it takes to add the warning system to other aircraft. Though the real Cessna 182S I fly doesn’t have a GPWS system, copying the [GPWS] section from the FSX default Boeing 737-800 aircraft.cfg to the aircraft.cfg of the FS2004 Cessna 182S I use in FSX adds the GPWS features, complete with voice annunciations such as “Don’t sink!” and “Pull up!”

I personally have not used these as I do not fly the FSX default aircraft (most of the 3rd party aircraft I use have some variation of these).

Hope it helps!

Cheers,
    Mike T.