Thread: FS9/FSX GPS: Adding Terrain Shadowing

Default FS9/FSX GPS: Adding Terrain Shadowing

There is a parameter missing from both the FS9 and FSX G500 GPS scripts that will add a "terrain shadowing" effect to the color terrain map view.

I have discovered that there is one entry to "add" and another to "modify" in order for this to work:

Code:
       <LayerVehicles>1</LayerVehicles>
       <TerrainShadow>True</TerrainShadow>
    </CustomDraw>

Open the default gps_500.xml script file in notepad.exe and add the entry <TerrainShadow>True</TerrainShadow> entry just above the closing </CustomDraw> entry.

Edit the <LayerVehicles>0</LayerVehicles> entry from 0 to 1 as shown above. You should now have a color terrain map that looks like this:

Shot at 2009-10-02
    Bill Leaming
    Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations
    Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator
    Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium
    Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional
    Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium
    NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Many thanks Bill -

That did the trick for me !!

I also renamed the default fs9gps.cab with an ORIG extension - thinking that would assure FSX would look at the fs9gps folder (which has the edited xml file) and not the cab.

Was that necessary / desireable ?
    David "Opa" Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by opaplano View Post
    Many thanks Bill -

That did the trick for me !!

I also renamed the default fs9gps.cab with an ORIG extension - thinking that would assure FSX would look at the fs9gps folder (which has the edited xml file) and not the cab.

Was that necessary / desireable ?
    It doesn't hurt, although FS will automatically follow this sequence when searching for an XML gauge script:

1. the aircraft's ..\panel folder for a ..\folder name
    2. the aircraft's ..\panel folder for a .CAB name
    3. the default ..\Gauges folder for a ..\folder name
    4. the default ..\Gauges folder for a .CAB name

BTW, you might like to see the new Sticky regarding how to add a "traffic display" to the G500 GPS.
    Bill Leaming
    Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations
    Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator
    Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium
    Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional
    Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium
    NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

4. Default

It works!!

Added the 1 to LayerVehicles line and now we have terrain detail in the GPS.

Fantastic!!

Thanks so much Bill for all your help.

Brad

Where is the gps xml file located?

|Win7 x64 | Gigabyte P67A UD4 B3 | Intel i5 2500k @ 4.2GHz | eVGA GTX570 1280MB | 2x4 GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance | 1TB Samsung Spinpoint | 120GB Mushin Callisto SSD | 36GB Raptor | 250GB Seagate | Seasonic X750w | Corsair 650D|

Quote Originally Posted by RyanbATC View Post
    Where is the gps xml file located?

In the gps_500.cab file. It is in your gauges folder.

You can open and extract any files in a cab using any good zip/unzip program.
    David "Opa" Marshall