Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Windows 7 64-bit and CFS Original Compatability

aproblem_asolution Guest

Ok the problem is very simple!

Explanations:
    -------------

In Windows 95 To XP, the game search for joystick name in regedit
    at key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\..."
    but in Windows > XP (or 64 bits systems) (Example: Windows 7 - 64 bits) The key is not in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" but in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER"
    "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\..."

Then just patch the EXE file game to read in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" and not in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
    The ASM instruction is "push 80000002" to request on "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" (hexadecimal values=6802000080)
    and "push 80000001" to request on "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" (hexadecimal values=6801000080)

Follow Simple Steps to patch properly (Change Only 2octets):
    ------------------------------------------------------------

01) Download Hexadecimal editor (example freeware: http://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD)
    02) Optional: Backup the EXE Game file Default = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator\COMBATFS.EXE"
    03) Optional: Backup the Config game file (if exists) Default = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator\COMBATFS.CFG"
    04) Open the EXE Game file "COMBATFS.EXE" with the hexadecimal editor
    05) Search for hexadecimal values an enter "6802000080" (CTRL+F -> Hexadecimal Values -> 6802000080, F3 To search next)
    06) Normally you have 3 results (Me at offsets: 1141, C60F, C6BD) (Don't Select And Change The 1st result)
    07) Select the 2nd result (Me at offset C60F) and replace "6802000080" by "6801000080" [Just replace 02 by 01]
    08) Select the 3rd result (Me at offset C6BD) and replace "6802000080" by "6801000080" [Just replace 02 by 01]
    09) Save the EXE game file "COMBATFS.EXE" (in hexadecimal editor)
    10) Delete the config game file "COMBATFS.CFG" (if exists)
    11) Start the Game...
    12) Joystick And Configuration Menu Works Fine NOW

(If you have some problems just replace "COMBATFS.EXE" [steps 02] To restore original file)

Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by NODICE View Post
    CFS1 vs windows 7 fix at the Free Flight Site, CFS1 utilities top of page

www.thefreeflightsite.com

Dave

2. Default

Thanks aproblem_asolution. I just re-posted at SOH (with all due credits of course).

Now, if you could find why players have so much problems multiplaying on-line with Windows7 (while having none with CFS2 or 3, I was told), and a solution to these problems, I would have a very merry Christmas indeed!

Thanks again from all of us, CFS1 Die Hards.

LATE NEWS:I have released a "patch" with a corrected COMBATFS.EXE file for those who are rebutted by hex-editing. It scored more than a hundred hits within the first 24 hours.
    Last edited by hubbabubba; 11-05-2013 at 06:34 PM.

3. Default

Christmas did indeed come early! Thank you!!! Now if I could only get CFS to recognize my CH Pro Pedals USB (it sees them but thinks its just another joystick)....Can't get them assigned to the l/r rudder movements! Similar problem with IL-2 1946 and Pacific Fighters...

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by scottmiller View Post
    Christmas did indeed come early! Thank you!!! Now if I could only get CFS to recognize my CH Pro Pedals USB (it sees them but thinks its just another joystick)....Can't get them assigned to the l/r rudder movements! Similar problem with IL-2 1946 and Pacific Fighters...
    I do have a CH trio USB (Pro Pedals+Pro Throttle+Fighterstick) that are "mapped" together and work as one CH Control Manager Device 1, pedals are fine.

So, for Xmas, get a CH stick!
    Last edited by hubbabubba; 11-19-2013 at 12:00 AM.

5. Default

Dear Hubbabubba,

I used your CFS1-fix, but it doesn't work on MY Windows7-system. All I get is my plane upside down, but no working Thrustmaster joystick. Maybe it's MY computer, but I would suggest that you test your fix again.

Thanks anyway,

hertzie.

6. Default

To all
    Those who are interested to get Combat flight simulator WW2 on windows 7 and 8.1 do the following:
    Post your original cd in the cd player of your computer open your Explorer and go to the cd player open the folder; Locate the setup file and do the following: right click with your mouse on Setup.exe and select properties and change compatibility settings for all users now choose and run this program in compatibility mode for Windows98/windows ME and program as an administrator press OK or apply.
    Now double-click on Setup.exe from Cd and wait until the program is installed; use the default settings that are suggested.
    When the installation is completed, you can see this back on c:/programmafiles (x 86)/Microsoft games/combat flight simulator and open this folder and search COMBATFS.CFG.EXE and do the same as described above.
    PS: it may be that you have chosen a different installation location on your hard drives so you should of course here started looking for the output file COMBATFS.CFG.EXE
    This worked with me; so I have nothing to take to get my Joy Stick to work.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by hertzie View Post
    Dear Hubbabubba,

I used your CFS1-fix, but it doesn't work on MY Windows7-system. All I get is my plane upside down, but no working Thrustmaster joystick. Maybe it's MY computer, but I would suggest that you test your fix again.

Thanks anyway,

hertzie.
    My old W98SE went belly-up and the new one is Windows 7 Home Premium, so I tested this morning. Works fine! Look on my next post for more details. Good luck!

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bogfra View Post
    To all
    Those who are interested to get Combat flight simulator WW2 on windows 7 and 8.1 do the following:
    Post your original cd in the cd player of your computer open your Explorer and go to the cd player open the folder; Locate the setup file and do the following: right click with your mouse on Setup.exe and select properties and change compatibility settings for all users now choose and run this program in compatibility mode for Windows98/windows ME and program as an administrator press OK or apply.
    Now double-click on Setup.exe from Cd and wait until the program is installed; use the default settings that are suggested.
    When the installation is completed, you can see this back on c:/programmafiles (x 86)/Microsoft games/combat flight simulator and open this folder and search COMBATFS.CFG.EXE and do the same as described above.
    PS: it may be that you have chosen a different installation location on your hard drives so you should of course here started looking for the output file COMBATFS.CFG.EXE
    This worked with me; so I have nothing to take to get my Joy Stick to work.
    As I was just stating above, it was my turn to test my own medicine.

My Windows edition is Home Premium (French version) with SP1. I installed from the disk, making a full custom installation, no compatibility, just as is.

Before running the game, I switched the CombatFS.exe file with the FIX/Patch I uploaded.

Started the game, adjusted settings and made sure my CH controls were on.

Went into a QC (shot one, let the other escape).

Closed the game. Not a single glitch to report.
    Last edited by hubbabubba; 04-29-2014 at 05:24 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2