Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: USS Nimitz CVN-68

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    Well, first and foremost, your AOA is WAY off. What is your pitch trim set for? …
    Hi! Great tutorial for carrier landing! With my general-minding website about the FS franchise, I also advice to tune in the aircraft.cfg, the contact points (check at http://flightlessons.6te.net/tutwork.htm#carri). I found that that helps in any case for the default FSX Acceleration FA-18
    Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

I found that that helps in any case for the default FSX Acceleration FA-18
    Actually, and this is a purely personal opinion, mind you, the best thing to do to improve the default hornet is not use it for anything.

The best choice, IMHO, is the FSDT FSX Blue Angels F/A-18C, v18.3. They were the group that, at least in a large measure, were a part of creating the Acceleration Hornet in the first place. It was a bit of a rush job, though, and even the development team admits it's not the best plane around. They've been working very hard to improve and update their original effort. Their latest offering isn't perfect, yet, but it's getting a lot closer than the original. The FCS and FDE are pretty close to ideal, which is to say very very similar to the way the real F/A-18C flies, and whose FCS functions virtually idententically to the RW plane's. This statement isn't simply an opinion, either. They have both current and former Hornet drivers on their team, both testing and development, and they are the ones who have made such statements.
    As well, the man who is working the FCS systems is a Navy Simulator systems software engineer. He really knows his stuff, too. All this is according to the NATOPS manual, so again, not just an opinion.

I was honored to join the development team a few years ago. The flaps section, some of the .air file settings, the tailhook settings, and the landing gear contact points, I'm proud to say, are all mine. Mostly
    I am now working on integrating the HARM missile (AGM-88C), into the plane's software for the TacPack system. I've got them functional, but not full, 100% system features, yet. Should be part of the next update, to be released soon. IE: if you're getting painted by a SAM radar, or AAA for that matter, you just need to point slightly toword the radar painting you and fire. You can do this from any altitude or distance within the missile's envelope, so you can stay out of range and destroy the whole site with a couple missiles.

Anywho, the FSX BA Hornet makes the Acceleration Hornet look like a Piper Cub, by comparison. Especially for carrier ops, or FCLP work. ACM, too.
    I suggest that if you enjoy Hornet's, give it a try. You won't be disappointed. I also suggest you download the NATOPS in PDF format, since this Hornet is matched to it. Both the plane and the NATOPS are freeware. I can post links, should anyone desire. Couple this plane, with the Nimitz V2, vLSO, and AICarriers.NET, at least, and you've got quite a nice setup for doing carrier work. Or air combat, if you have TacPack and a nice MP setup.

Enjoy!
    Pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    Actually, and this is a purely personal opinion, mind you, the best thing to do to improve the default hornet is not …
    Good news for U.S. Navy simmers! ilot I will put your reference somewhere in my archive as personally I'm not that much landing on carriers
    Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Hi All,

Wonderful pics. I tried to install a similar configuration with P3D v4.5 HF3, Javier's USS Nimitz and the T-45C Goshawk. However, I cannot get the ILS landing in the CV68. Tuning the radio on 112.00 does not give me any ILS indicator. I tried an ILS approach on EDMA which works perfectly. Is there anybody out who could give me any advice?

Save landing and good health

Achim

Quote Originally Posted by loomy View Post
    Hi All,

Wonderful pics. I tried to install a similar configuration with P3D v4.5 HF3, Javier's USS Nimitz and the T-45C Goshawk. However, I cannot get the ILS landing in the CV68. Tuning the radio on 112.00 does not give me any ILS indicator. I tried an ILS approach on EDMA which works perfectly. Is there anybody out who could give me any advice?

Save landing and good health

Achim
    When you initially look for the ILS needles for the carrier, are you within +/- 15° of the boat's BRC, and below 1800' MSL?
    Do you put the frequency in on the HUD's controls, and are you certain you use the NAV1 radio?
    Did you try using the TACAN number instead of the frequency? The various TACAN numbers are in this chart:
    111.00 (47X) - CVN68 Nimitz (Acceleration)
    112.00 (57X) - CVN68 Nimitz (Javier's)
    114.00 (87X) - CVN65 Enterprise
    112.10 (58X) - CV63 Kitty Hawk
    113.10 (78X) - R09 Ark Royal

Did you place the carrier with AICarriers.NET? That's the new version by Orion Lau, not the old, JAVA based version that originally showed up. If so, exactly what was the carrier you chose? Javier's Nimitz V2 includes a pretty large number of ships, or, really, two ships with a LOT of variations. Was it the AI carrier Javier made, or a pilotable version by someone else? You need to use the AI version. Javier's Nimitz V2.

Finally, I can't swear that the HUD that provides the ILS for the AI carriers will work in P3Dv4.5 It's a 32bit gauge, which have trouble working in the 64bit sim. Which T-45 exactly did you use? Was it Dino's, and if so, was it specifically for P3D v4.5? I don't know if Dino updated the T-45 for P3D v4.5.

Just throwing things out to see if anything helps. Gives us a heads up
    Pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Hey Pat,

Let me know where and when you're conducting operations. I'll set up to fly S&R if needed. Been there, done a ton of that!!

Michael

Hi Pat,
    Thank you very much for your comments. Please find my answers below:

I installed Javier's and ony Javier's AI carriers. This includes the AICarriers.net automatically. My T-45C is from Dino Cattaneo. No personal amendments. Upon "shift+2" the radio pops up. Here I enter the appropriate frequency for Javier's USS Nimitz which is 112.00 MHz. Frequency input via the HUD is not possible. As seen in attachement 04, the menu for TACAN entry is INOP.

Hope you had a nice weekend sending
    Best wishes
    Achim

Name:  Screenshot_04.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  48.6 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_01.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  42.9 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_02.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  48.4 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_03.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  36.0 KB

As seen in attachement 04, the menu for TACAN entry is INOP.
    OK, what I see in attachment 4, I presume you mean the bottom picture you included, is the AICarriers menu, first page. Other than placing the correct carrier for what you want to accomplish, it has nothing to do with setting the TACAN for a particular ship. It's a little hard for me to read, but it looks like selection #8 is one of the Nimitz choices available.
    Did you place the included cvn_68_69.cfg file in the AICarriers conf.d folder, or was the file you downloaded the one with the autoinstaller? I ask because the autoinstaller doesn't include the .cfg file used by AICarriers. I don't trust autoinstallers for just this reason. It will install the boats, sounds, and effects into the sim, but it won't install the .cfg file you need for AIC to use them.
    The zip file i use is uss_nimitz_ike_version2.zip, the one with the autoinstaller is uss_nimitz_uss_eisenhower_v2.zip. The one I use requires manual installation, and doesn't include a couple of the ships the autoinstaller does, but I have them already anyway, so no big. The one I use does however include the .cfg file for AICarriers. I'm lazy. I can make the .cfg files, but if someone already made one for me, so much the better

Also, can I presume you are using the v2.85 T-45, not a previous version? From what I could see in the included vNATOPS, you should be able to use the UFC to enter a TACAN. Select NAV with the switch on the far right side. The tall thin one. Once the system is in NAV, just push in the TACAN for the ship you placed with AICarriers, in this case 57X, and hit enter. According to the vNATOPS, again, doing that will allow you to steer to the boat's VOR, and once there, in the correct area, the ILS should pop up on the HUD.

From what I could see, there is also a TACAN radio on the right side radio panel area. Did you try plugging it into that?

I hope something in all my babbling is some small help...
    Pat☺

Dear Pat,

Thank's for your time and support. Well, actually I do use the auto-install ...v2.zip version (file size approx. 24 MB) However, there is a cvn_68_69.cfg file included in the AICarrier/conf.d folder with exactly the same size (6.3 MB) as you can find it in the documentation of the ...v2.zip file. I just tried to exchange both files but failed. Now I need to re-install.
    Concerning the T-45C I use version 2.83. Actually I could not find v2.85. What creates my confusion is that the T-45C ILS works perfectly on regular airfields. Tried it at EDMA and EDDM. First I thought, I need to install TacPack, but I understand from you that TacPack is not necessary for an ILS approach. Well. let me try to install the ...ike...version. May be that works better.
    What do you mean with S&R flight? Is this a platform for multi-user flights?

Kind regards

Achim

Name:  Screenshot_05.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  35.7 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_06.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  40.8 KB

HA!
    I knew I'd figger it out!

I loaded up the T45, flew it out to the boat. Well, flew it out over the sea, pretty far out. I set the boat with AICarriers.NET, the Nimitz, empty deck, moving forward. Wind set to 15kts. Tuned the NAV1 radio to 112.00. Got a good course line display, directing me to the boat. I made a good pass, close aboard starboard the boat, 800', and a good break turn, boards out, gear down, slowed to correct on-speed. Got the pitch, power, and so on set.
    Here's the key: I called up the HUD control panel, shft+7, and selected ILS. Buttons just below the armament controls. The upper right button of the cluster of 4. The ILS needles popped up, and I made a decent (#2 wire. Not and OK pass, buuut...) pass and trapped.

If you want, I can post pics of the ILS control panel with the correct button indicated, and the ILS needles for the boat showing on the HUD, if you need me to.

I think that's what you were missing. Selecting the ILS mode for the HUD on it's control panel.
    Give it a try! Let me know...
    Pat☺

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast