Thread: Using MyWorld 2004 Landclass in FS2002

Exclamation Using MyWorld 2004 Landclass in FS2002

Good day, I just installed MyWorld 2004 Landclass on FS2002 and it works except the error message that pops up about missing texture files in the "scenedb world texture" folder. Has any managed to fix this problem of done a completely successfull install of MyWorld 2004 Landclass on FS2002? Additionally, I copied the textures from the main texture folder into scenedb world tetxure and still get the same error message.

I'm not familiar with the product at all, but I'm aware of a problem that pops up from time to time with landclass files in FS2002. Typically when we install a scenery we'll create both a "Scenery" and "Texture" directory for the necessary files. Then we add the scenery to the scenery database by clicking all the way down *into* the "Scenery" directory in the add scenery interface.

Landclass files are a bit different however, so this is possibly the problem you're running into. With landclass files, create the "Scenery" directory you want as usual, but you typically do not have textures with landclass. So, do not create a "Texture" directory -- it can cause FS2002 to start looking for textures that aren't there and throwing up errors.

Then, when adding the landclass to the scenery database, don't double-click all the way down into the "Scenery" directory. (If you happen to do so by mistake, FS2002 will let you know by not accepting the location as containing valid scenery because there's no Texture directory.) Instead, click all the way down until you find the correct "Scenery" directory and click on it just once to highlight it. That will add the scenery and treat it more correctly like landclass.

Again, I'm not familiar with the product so perhaps none of this applies. It's just a problem I've seen come up before. It could also just be that 2004 landclass files don't work in 2002 but I'm not sure about that.

Hopefully you find out what's causing the problem. Good luck.

-- Mike

Thanks, i'll do some checking in the scenery folders...

Some interesting results but it still did not work. What if I copied texture folders from FS2004 and dropped them into FS2002?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptHarry View Post
    Some interesting results but it still did not work. What if I copied texture folders from FS2004 and dropped them into FS2002?
    Then you would officially be a test pilot. I don't know what the result would be, but it might be worth a try. I often experiment like that to get things working when they won't. Just make sure you save a clean copy of the FS2002 textures directories just in case. Good luck.

-- Mike

CaptHarry let us know what happens I am very interested to know what the result of your experiment is, but I am to chicken to try it myself until someone else does it,(To many past messes to mention).

Post Re: Same

CaptHarry,

I think mjanicki, is probably right about it not being compatible. Some things
    in 2002 just won't work in 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptHarry View Post
    Good day, I just installed MyWorld 2004 Landclass on FS2002 and it works except the error message that pops up about missing texture files in the "scenedb world texture" folder. Has any managed to fix this problem of done a completely successfull install of MyWorld 2004 Landclass on FS2002? Additionally, I copied the textures from the main texture folder into scenedb world tetxure and still get the same error message.
    Paying attention to what you wrote, this is a possible scenario of why things are not working....

The missing world texture files are particular to FS2004 and are used in conjunction with whatever custom textures this landclass program has. You would need to actually copy FS2004's world textures files and allow any file which by name doesn't exist to be dumped into your FS2002 world texture folder. You might get several or many (Who knows) alerts for over-writing, to which I would choose no, because accepting an over-write does nothing to segragate and get those missing files into your folder.

Better late than never reply, no it did not work. Just tried it again on rebuild PC with FS2002 newly installed. FS2002 runs as smooth as silk, unfortunately MyWorld landclass does not work with it. There must be other texture folders elsewhere in FS2004 that MyWorld is tapping into. That's to much work for me to go find out. Aw well, will have to put up with blob cities and country side. Good news is some FS2004 downloads are backwards compatible but I strongly recommend you back up original FS2002 files prior to overwriting. The FS2004 downloads are very much hit or miss. Installed an old copy of World Extreme Landscapes from Abacus and that helps out overall very nice.

10. Default

Here's the same scene with MyWorld2004 landclass. Maybe you could comment about its accuracy?