727 Config problems Vista 64 bit

Ok, I've read every single post in this forum and in Flight1 forum related to 429 errors.

I just came off an XP based system, because that system died completely.

I never had any trouble getting 727 Config to run on the XP system. However when I try to run the regsvr smartsubclass.dll after extracting it to System32 folder, I get the following message.

The Module "SmartSubClass.dll may not be compatible with the version of windows you're running. Check if the module is compatible with an x86(32 Bit) or x64(64 bit) version of regsvr32.exe"

I've verified the WINZIP extraction of the SmartSubclass zip file did in fact load to system32 folder.

Anyone have any ideas. None of the forum articles related to this seems to get me anything, including the registry fix.

Addtionally...I also tried to extract the comdlg32.ocx file to the system 32 folder, and then checked system32, to make sure both smartsubclass.dll was there, as well as comdlg32.ocx. Both are in the directory. Neither will start with the regsvr32.exe command.

The screen error message received says..."The module "comdlg.ocx failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .dll files The Specified module could not be found."

Like i said in my first post. on XP I never had any problems loading this...

I have UAC turned off, and all virus and security turned off.

I am on my administrator signon as well.

Sure would love to get some ideas on this one. Paul, any Thoughts??

Bommervet,

Move all those files to sysWOW64 under the windows directory.Than run the register program under that directory and see if that works.

JeffG

Jeffery,

Thanks already tried that...didn't get me anything...I also deleted all of my 727 files, then got a new installation key, thinking that changing computers was causing me problems. Reinstalled the 727 using the new installation key...then extracted those two files into System 32 first..and tried to do the commands..and got the same errors. Then I did the whole process over again...this time extracting to WOW64..same results..

Bommervet,

Move all those files to sysWOW64 under the windows directory.Than run the register program under that directory and see if that works.

JeffG

Jeffery, the one constant I am not having any problems with..is the download and full operation of the aircraft in any of the base liveries. Seems others had problems with that..and I had absolutely none. it loaded fine, using my red airplane start. and I tested all aspects of the flight model in Vista 64 with no problems..I just cannot get the 727 Configurator and the TOM to load. Thanks for suggestion...

Hi Robert,

Sorry for the delay in answering - I've only just found your message.

If the only problem is the 727 Configurator and T-o-M in Vista64 I suspect the root cause is that these tools were designed for a 32-bit operating system and need to be updated to work in a 64-bit OS. You may get confirmation of this from the developers.

Cheers,

Alastair

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AOPA #04634067

Alistair...

Thanks my friend for getting back to me on this...Seems this is a problem throughout Microsoft applications. I did Google searchs on SmartSubClass.dll and Comdlg.ocx and found quite a bit of info on multiple failures on both Vista 32 bit and 64 bit.

I guess now I am curious as to how I can at least disable the engine failures in the aircraft model. UNless and until someone comes up with a 64 bit correction..and I am not going to hold my breath on that...then 727Configurator and TOM are apparently not going to run on this computer. Oh well!!

Thanks for info..and hope all is well over the pond!!!

Many regards,

Robert

Maybe you should try to boot into Safe Mode and try it there.

Unfortunately, your problem does seem somewhat not so common, indicating a deeper system issue... such as a non-disabled virus scanner (in some cases they need to be uninstalled), or some other issue. Even if you had one installed, and uninstalled it in the past, there still could be remnants on your system.

Try Safe Mode... otherwise, I do not know what it wrong and it would take deeper examination. The comdlg32.ocx file is from Microsoft! So if that one cannot register, then it is a system problem.

Maybe try to register it in a different path, like C:\Test or some other name.

Steve,

Ok thanks will do. in safe mode...I am running Trend Micro Virus protection...But had already disabled those...and Also placed in the virus scan exception list, the 2 files...SmartSubclass.dll and Comdlg.ocx. so that the virus scanner would not try and toss them out. The 2 files are still in my System 32 folder as well...I also went into the Micro soft website..and a couple of other sites, and tried downloading the Comdlg.ocx file and tried it that way and got the same result. I looked at an explanation of these 2 errors in Microsoft...and they are pointing towards some system problem as well...given the errors encountered.Push comes to shove I will get Microsoft involved and see if they can determine what is going on...Thanks for response..I appreciate..

Robert

Paul...thanks for response...at least no one can say I do not present some interesting problems....This is a weird one for sure...I do not understand why the registration executable is not working...in my system...It is a brand new system as well...with a fresh current load of Vista 64. I tried downloading another copy of the RegSvr32.exe..and got same result...I did notice that throughout the flight 1 forum and dream flight forum...these same errors have occured several other times...with other users...but the threads seemed to run out..with no explanation or fix encountered.

If I find out something from Microsoft on Monday..I will be sure and let you and Steve know about it.

As always I appreciate your help..

Regards,

Robert

I'll ask Steve at Flight 1 to take a look at this thread as it's Flight 1 that provided both T-O-M & C-O-M, so they may know the answer.

Paul, Steve, and Alistair..I'm working with Microsoft on this problem. Will advise as to what we find. Seems my Vista system is not allowing execution of the Regsvr.exe command for some reason.

in meantime, I backdoored the sound and 727 configuration functions, to eliminate the annoying engine and other system failures/fires etc.

And set my various sound levels accordingly to levels I like in the 727.cfg and the cold and dark.cfg files.

Everything is now working as desired, except TOM. Weight and balance I took care of in the aircraft.cfg file and can manipulate as desired there.

Thanks for responses and help...Will keep you advised if we find something..so someone else does not have to go through this, if it happens to them.

Many regards, to an exceptional team at FlightOne and Dreamflight.

Robert

First of all when ever you are registering a 32 bit file in a x64 version of windows you have to make sure that you are in the C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ directory and run regsvr32 filename.dll,etc if you don't run regsvr32 from the SysWOW64 when registering a 32 bit file it will automatically use regsvr32 from the system32 directory which is for registering 64 bit files.

So as others have said make sure the SmartSubClass.dll is registered first step would be open the command prompt type cd \Windows\SysWOW64 enter now type regsvr32 SmartSubClass.dll after that is done download this update http://www.flight1.com/dx7vb.exe as it installs a few files that is missing for the config manager to operate.

Cheers

Comepso

thanks for suggestion. However I have already tried this about 5 times. the only thing that does work is loading of the registry fix program dx7vb.exe That worked with no problem. Nomatter where or how I try to execute the regsvr32 command..it does not work with either SmartSubClass.dll or with Comdlg32.ocx or .dll

I have discussed the problem with Microsoft. and they are as well confused as to why it does not work on a brand new out of the box system..purchased from Lenovo with all Microsoft updates added.

I have tried running the command from a Safe start position as well with no change in error messages.

basically I have abandoned any hopes of getting the 727 config to work..or TOM. I instead went directly to the 727config file and the cold and dark file and takeoff file in FS9, directory...and edited the values there that I wanted in terms of sound level and failures. I will not be able to use TOM...but I can live with that, since the folks at Flight 1 do not seem to have any idea why this is the way it is. I also noticed many others have experieneced very similair problems with Vista64, and some of the forum posts were also dead ends. Somehting is wrong.but I have no clue now what that might be.

Again thanks for suggestion.

As a followup for anyone who might run across this problem in future. I was finally able to get everything working as far as the 727 Configurator and TOM 1.0.3

The following steps were required, and seem to be a slight variation from what others seem to have found.

1. I disabled UAC as before.

2. I also edited the advanced option settings under Windows defender, to include the following.

files to be excluded by windows defender, are the 2 files and their folder variations.

C:\windows\system32\SmartSubclass.dll

C:\windows\system32\comdlg.dll, and comdlg.ocx

C:\windows\SysWOW64\SmartSubclass.dll

C:\windows\SysWOW64\comdlg.dll, and comdlg.ocx

3. I then tried running the regsvr32 command on both Smartsubclass/dll, and on Comdlg/ocx. and it failed with the aforementioned errors.

4. I then did as Comepso suggested , and using the RUN feature. changed directories to C:\windows\sysWOW64, and ran the regsvr32 command on both SmartSubClass.dll and Comdlg32.ocx, and again the command failed.

I then deleted on suspicion that the regsvr32 command was somehow still seeing the 2 files previously loaded into SYSTEM32, I deleted these files from SYSTEM32, and again ran the regsvr32 command on both files, from the sysWOW64 direcotry, and this time both files registered normally.

5. I was then able to enter both the 727 Configurator, and the TOM version 1.0.3 programs, and execute normally.

6.Lastly I reenabled Windows defendor and UAC. and Flight sim executes normally displaying additonal liveries that were generated normally.

6. If prior to any of these steps, one had loaded the SmartSubclass.dl and Comdlg32.ocx files to the SYSTEM32 directory, the program regsvr32 when it is run, regardless of whether it is run from the RUN feature, or manually from the CMD option, and changing directories to C:\Windows\sysWOW64. it fails to run, unless and until you go in using Windows explorer and manually delete any previously added Smartsubclass and Comdlg32.ocx files from the SYSTEM32, folder.

7. Once these files were deleted and the regsvr32 command was run, then everything worked normally.

I hope this helps anyone who might run up against the same problem in the future.

I did all that and the config manager worked but I had to do a full recovery on my HP desktop and now I tried doing everything the same and I can not get the manager to work.I have put all the files in system32 and sysWOW64 and ran the registertool and that worked fine added the file from Flight1 and reinstalled the 727 and the manager still does not work.I will keep trying as I love the 727.

JeffG

I did all that and the config manager worked but I had to do a full recovery on my HP desktop and now I tried doing everything the same and I can not get the manager to work.I have put all the files in system32 and sysWOW64 and ran the registertool and that worked fine added the file from Flight1 and reinstalled the 727 and the manager still does not work.I will keep trying as I love the 727.

JeffG

Jeffery,

Remove the Smartsubclass.dll and the Comdlg32.ocx from the System32 directory...it will not work if it is in that directory on 64 bit Vista...Thats what I determined was mny problem..

I checked also with Microsoft today, and they indicated a definate conflict in execution of the regsvr32 command if the 2 files are in both the system 32 directory and the sysWOW64 directory. Make sure the UAC is disabled, and make sure that the 2 files are also in the defender exclude path. under advanced options.

if you have any virus protection software...either disable it completely ..so it does not try to execute and remove or quarantine the 2 files it finds in sysWOW64, or if you can put them in the virus protection softwares..excluded files path.

If these things are not done..the builtin security protections of Vista64 will prohibit execution of the regsvr32 command. and registration of these 2 files according to Microsoft.

Let me know how it goes.

Paul, Steve, and Alistair..I'm working with Microsoft on this problem. Will advise as to what we find. Seems my Vista system is not allowing execution of the Regsvr.exe command for some reason.

in meantime, I backdoored the sound and 727 configuration functions, to eliminate the annoying engine and other system failures/fires etc.

And set my various sound levels accordingly to levels I like in the 727.cfg and the cold and dark.cfg files.

Everything is now working as desired, except TOM. Weight and balance I took care of in the aircraft.cfg file and can manipulate as desired there.

Thanks for responses and help...Will keep you advised if we find something..so someone else does not have to go through this, if it happens to them.

Many regards, to an exceptional team at FlightOne and Dreamflight.

Robert

Robert,

So did you get the C-O-M working or not? You mention you manually changed the aircraft.cfg at the end?

Thanks for your input.

regards,

Macs

Robert,

So did you get the C-O-M working or not? You mention you manually changed the aircraft.cfg at the end?

Thanks for your input.

regards,

Macs

Macs,

Yes, I did.

I returned all of the 727configurator files to their default settings...and am able to run 727configurator normally and T-O-M normally.

Robert

• 7 months later...

Thank you very much! This little .exe file got my Configuration Manager working perfectly.

Now it seems everything is working properly with the GA727 using my Windows 7 Ultimate 64x.

I'll be making some test flights. I'm so glad because this is the best 727 on the market. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v376/signmanbob/12aa7b74-a550-428c-af1f-4c6a545f245d_zps5e572a9a.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v376/signmanbob/727_FlyJSim_zpsd6b4b574.jpg

• 10 months later...

I can't get it to run without crashing to windows :(

I have Windows7 64bit Home Premium, running FS2004. When I try to load it, it goes right back to windows?! I have tried everything on this forum, but to no avail. I must have missed something :(

Bruce