Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Howard Smith's Mix the FSX Experience

Thumbs up Howard Smith's Mix the FSX Experience

Wow! I just tried it. It's beautiful! Thanks Howard!!!

Total agreement. I have been using FSX for the last few months, but this addon could sway me back to FS9.

Any frame rate or other effects with this? - it sounds incredible!

Would someone please post a brief outline as to what this add-on specifically does and the installation process involved. Sounds like an interesting feature to enhance FS9. At this time, I just not sure what the D/L entails.

Thanks,

Paul

Installed Howard Smiths Mix, not that impressed with water textures. All lakes and rivers were a horrible dirty brown, tried one of the test flights and the sea and waves around the coast were the most unnatural I have ever seen. All this even after all the defrags. as suggested in the document.

Default FS9 Enhanced

I am downloading it now. No specifics in readme. But I would recommend you back up your AUTOGEN folder, your SCENERY\WORLD\TEXTURE folder, and your MAIN TEXTURE folder before you install it. You never know.

Make sure you name your folder 'Default FS9 Textures' with sub folders for 'Autogen Bck' (default.xml), 'Main textures' and 'World textures' or simular, as you don't want to mix the textures up. Keep them seperate, or else.

I see lots of 'artsy-fartsy' screenies, with no airport or city shots. I'm suspicious already. But, I have Bill Lyon's 'Silvers Wings' autogen and textures installed now and I like the water. So if I don't like things, I can revert to Silver Wings (for the trees and water). Might be that this 'combo' might even work out to end up as a REAL 'total' improvement. Worth a shot.
    Chuck B
    Napamule

Talking

i'm using it, very nice except the water and the grass detail around airports.

just replaced what i don't like with stuff i like and voila! perfect!

enhance further with ENBSeries bloom effect plug-in
    Intel Pentium 4 Presscott [email protected] GHz HT,Intel D865PERL,4Gb PC3200 DDR Dual channel, Nvidia 6200 AGP8X 256 MB,1tb HDD,PCTV 110i, Logitech Extreme 3D pro
    please visit and rate

Quote Originally Posted by argosafe View Post
    Any frame rate or other effects with this? - it sounds incredible!
    I don't see much of a drop in FPS. I am running it in Win XP pro 32 bit, with 3.2 GB Ram and and 512 MB Graphic Card.

there's no frame loss for me
    Intel Pentium 4 Presscott [email protected] GHz HT,Intel D865PERL,4Gb PC3200 DDR Dual channel, Nvidia 6200 AGP8X 256 MB,1tb HDD,PCTV 110i, Logitech Extreme 3D pro
    please visit and rate

Default A big change for my FS9

After reading about the Howard Smith Mix I loaded it into my 3 yr old Dell Inspiron laptop with Core 2 Duo, 1.83 mhz, with a low grade Intel 950 card, and memory increased to 2 Gb, running XP Pro sp3. Not a super computer but I had enough room left to install this big program. I took only a few flights after loading. The ground scenery is quite a bit more realistic, the greens are more varied, airports, runways and distant objects look better to me. I was flying in cloudy, overcast weather so river and lake water was grey brown but I did not try it with blue sky overhead and there are many other weather choices.I did not adjust any sliders before trying out the program so this is just an early assessment
    My frame rate stayed around 24 with single prop GA and 22-23 with an Embraer 120 2 prop. I'm locked at 30 so I didn't see any significant loss.

After my first taste of Howard's mix, I'd say FS9 definitely is more satisfying now. My thanks to Howard Smith for an impressive effort. I appreciate your many hours of work and this community is benefitting from it, thank you.

ramjett, Cal

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast