Thread: Some people still fly this version?

Default Some people still fly this version?

As for me, this is my VERY FIRST version of MFS, and I played it on my old 486 Packard Bell with this old Gravis joystick. I have dreams of using that thing as a legacy system now...

but wow...what memories. You need DOSBOX to play it nowadays, heh.

Default Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Draconiator View Post
    As for me, this is my VERY FIRST version of MFS, and I played it on my old 486 Packard Bell with this old Gravis joystick. I have dreams of using that thing as a legacy system now...

but wow...what memories. You need DOSBOX to play it nowadays, heh.
    I play this game more than FSX.
    Last edited by Alexander; 06-20-2009 at 01:52 PM.

is this fs5 as in FS95 or the one before...anyone still play FS95?

FS5 was rubbish when it was released, so I can't understand why anyone would want to use it in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogget View Post
    FS5 was rubbish when it was released, so I can't understand why anyone would want to use it in 2009.
    I'll have to politely disagree............FS 5 was anything but rubbish. It was a milestone in MFS as comparable to taking a leap from FS98 to FS2002. Wether FS 5, FS 5.1 or FS95, the difference between those and FS 4 was a substantial improvement in every aspect.....especially graphics, sound and aircraft flight dynamics. You won't catch me playing FS 5 these days, but I did use it when it first came out............I've been using FS since version 2 when it was packaged with the Atari XE.

The graphics were rubbish. They were supposed to be photorealistic, and they may well have appeared to be just that at 100,000 feet. However, at anything approaching GA flight levels, they were appalling.

The graphics were rubbish. They were supposed to be photorealistic, and they may well have appeared to be just that at 100,000 feet. However, at anything approaching GA flight levels, they were appalling.
    Don't agree with that. I can remember flying from KCMH to KPIT in a DC9 when I was using FS 5.1. I looked out the window over eastern Ohio and thought, "yes, that is broad.r8" (that is the texture used in flight simulator).

And using the scenery programs at the time, some of the third party freeware airports were pretty good.

However, there is no comparison with today's default or addon FSX.

I remember buying third party payware for FS98 of European airports and scenery.

I can still remember flying into Lugano. The dynamic scenery made my pc lock up everytime, so I turned it off.

I just flew into and out of Lugano, Switzerland in FSX. I used FS Genesis terrain mesh, and have Traffic X, too. It was ubelievably good, compared to the old product. Just fantastic.

However, back to topic, if FS 5.1 had been rubbish, I would never have kept it, or had this as a hobby for so many years, or spent thousands of hours on scenery for Antarctica and Ohio. No longer feel compelled to do much in the way of scenery anymore, the default stuff, (with FS Genesis mesh and Ulitmate Terrain for US) is so good, I'd rather by "flying."
    Last edited by TKessel; 04-17-2009 at 03:29 PM.

It still fun, the graphics and FPS aren't the best but it's a fun sim (For me).