Thread: Repainting - Problems with texture formats

Default Repainting - Problems with texture formats

Hi all. I am working on some repaints and I have this odd problems:

On one repaint the tail gets often blurry in MFS 2004, while the rest of the plane is sharp.
    On the other one of the wings gets blurry.

I wonder why this happens since I convert the textures using the same settings in DXTBmp.

Also , another issue: I donít know which format is the best? DXT5, extended 32 bit 888-8 or another.

Thanks.
    Somebody put something in my jet fuel
    Mircea

2. Default

Hello
    I am no expert but I use 'convimix' to convert 32bit to dxt3 textures.I have noticed that there is a box which asks if I want to include mipmaps,if the original textures where blurred as you describe then will also be blurred when converted to DXT3 if on the other hand i uncheck that box(no mipmaps)then convert to dxt3 the aircraft's textures are then clean and sharp.It sometimes needs FS9 to be restarted to show the new sharp textures.
    cheers Andy

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by pugthewiffywombat View Post
    Hello
    I am no expert but I use 'convimix' to convert 32bit to dxt3 textures.I have noticed that there is a box which asks if I want to include mipmaps,if the original textures where blurred as you describe then will also be blurred when converted to DXT3 if on the other hand i uncheck that box(no mipmaps)then convert to dxt3 the aircraft's textures are then clean and sharp.It sometimes needs FS9 to be restarted to show the new sharp textures.
    cheers Andy
    PS convimix (freeware)is better than dxtbmp because you can convert a whole texture folder in one go rather than one at a time in dxtbmp.

4. Default

ps
    DXT 3 is the usual format.
    32 bit = higher quality but slows texture loading on less powerful machines
    DXT3 = lesser quality textures(only slightly it seems to me)but faster loading of the textures.
    cheers Andy

Hi Andi, thanks for the replies

The original textures are not blurry. They get blurred and teh back to normal while using FS. Could be something wrong with my graphics card, but then I wonder why does this happen only with the 2 particular textures I've made.

Oh, couldn't find convimix
    Mircea

This is where you can find it:

http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/ (look for Convim)

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multime.../ConvImX.shtml

The "blurring" can affect only a couple of textures on an aircraft, and as has been mentioned above, is due to the prescence of Mips. Save the textures as Mip-less DXT3 and this should disappear.

Alastair

AOPA #04634067

Thanks, Alastair.

I'll check agiain, but I always use no mips.

I'll let you know.
    Mircea

8. Default

Abscense of an alpha channel can also make textures blurry. Aircraft textures should always include an alpha channel even if it's all white. If you save them once as 32 bit 888 in DXTBmp the app will add an all-white alpha channel if one doesn't exist already. Afterwards they can be re-saved as DXT3 and DXTBmp will preserve the alpha.

EDIT: Actually it appears that DXTBmp adds the alpha when saving as DXT3 as well so I guess the extra 32 bit step isn't necessary. I also found that my new graphics card (7800GS) doesn't seem to care whether or not the textures have alpha, however it was always an issue with my old one. I'd try either DXT3 or 32 bit (888) in DXTBmp and see what happens.
    Last edited by Jim Robinson; 02-05-2009 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks Jim! I'll check it out this weekend.
    Mircea

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by atr_42_500 View Post
    Hi Andi, thanks for the replies

The original textures are not blurry. They get blurred and teh back to normal while using FS. Could be something wrong with my graphics card, but then I wonder why does this happen only with the 2 particular textures I've made.

Oh, couldn't find convimix
    My apologies i spelt it incorrectly.See Alistair's reply he has posted the link.
    Should be CONVIMX not as i spelt it CONVIMIX
    CHEERS ANDY