Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 238

Thread: Bit of interesting News about the future of ACES--READ!!!

  1. #211

    Default I do agree with you....

    Quote Originally Posted by Lou_Betti View Post
    It has nothing to do with "lobbying" and EVERYTHING to do with profits and stockholder value.

    What will Patty Wagstaff or AOPA or EAA, or even writing your congressman do for MS's bottom line or share price?

    Nothing. Trust me.

    What I find interesting is that we have three very fine simulators in FS8, FS9 and FSX.

    Granted, they are frozen in time but, so what?

    Will the fact that you or may not see an FS11 cause all things FS to come to an end? I don't think so. Will your sims stop working because Aces is gone? I don't think so.

    Enjoy what you have, make the most of it, and let the chips fall where they may.

    Go fly, and stop worrying about it, as you are not going to change it. Like it or not.

    I do agree with you. However, It is such a bummer that hardware is going multi core and what I am told is that fsx does not fully utilize this hardware. I heard fsx is getting much better frame rates on Win 7, does this mean Win 7 utilizes the multi core in a way that leads to better fsx performance? Im on here just trying to get answers. I admit I dont have the answers and am just soaking this stuff up like a sponge.

    In the end however, I guess it is as you say. If this is all we get, well lets be happy with what is out there. It has come a long way from the first sim I ever had which was all text and ascii graphics. I used to 'land in the cornfield' a lot on that one.

    I guess also in the grand scheme of things with the economy as it is this is not really worth too much fretting over, as you all have said, 'lets get real.' Flight sim, 'as real as it gets', just had a really big reality check. Nothing lasts forever.

  2. #212
    Join Date
    Mar 1997
    Location
    Boca Raton, FL, Based at KBCT
    Posts
    6,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angels355 View Post
    Thanks Leo, Lou it's an honor to hear from you and I will do more flying even if it's on the sims, but I have to agree with Leo.
    I always liked Less (Leo) but, in this case agreeing with him is at your own peril!
    Regards,
    Lou Betti

  3. #213
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Orlando, FL. USA.
    Posts
    1,277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lou_Betti View Post
    I always liked Less (Leo) but, in this case agreeing with him is at your own peril!
    Thanks allot Lou I always liked you as well but you have to know there has been instances where companies changed their minds based on customer support for a said product. If there's enough support Aces will be back sooner than you think. Shooting people down who take part in this effort doesn't do any of us any good. If you remember Lou customer outcry is what made it possible for Dreamfleet to even exist. Long before you formed Dreamfleet I'm one of the ones who fought against Microsoft's effort in shutting down all third party development within FS. We fought against the efforts of Papa Tango to corner the market with airliner logos. I've seen this community do wonders when we all put our collective heads together on one common goal. So the peril is anyone's downfall for not trying...

    Again if it weren't for efforts like this move to save Aces FS most likely would have been an XBOX title by now minus our add-on community (I was around in the days of FS5.1 long before Flightsim.com opened it's doors when all we had was a '1-800' number to Microsoft. The main magazine back then was Microwings who has since closed their doors). So for all reading, this effort is not impossible as we've done it before and have better products like FS9 and FSX because of it...
    Last edited by Leo112; 02-04-2009 at 03:56 AM.

    Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 10 Home 32GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6

  4. #214
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Orlando, FL. USA.
    Posts
    1,277

    Default


    Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 10 Home 32GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6

  5. #215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo112 View Post
    I'm upset again. How could they be so irresponsible? I bet that this is the result of Bill Gates stepping away from MS. He should call Steve Balmer and say, "This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of!!"

    It's been implied that people have vowed to never use MS products again, well, that's inaccurate, without flight simulator for many people there's no reason to get MS products. And as this article asserts, the big boys with major corporations and perhaps government agencies using ESP may switch to linux if they haven't already and open or cross platform simulators.

    I kept saying that this affects national security also because the military started using MS flight simulator to train their pilots, and now as the article states the military and industry are using ESP to train their pilots.

    How irresponsible can they get? The manager(s) who bodyslammed FS should be fired!!! This has bad consequences across many fronts, not just us rabid flight simulator fans!
    68,000 lbs of thrust..... "Excellent!" --Montgomery Burns, Simpsons tv show

  6. #216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goldhawk View Post
    I do agree with you. However, It is such a bummer that hardware is going multi core and what I am told is that fsx does not fully utilize this hardware. I heard fsx is getting much better frame rates on Win 7, does this mean Win 7 utilizes the multi core in a way that leads to better fsx performance? Im on here just trying to get answers. I admit I dont have the answers and am just soaking this stuff up like a sponge.
    Hardware in the near future isn't going to "penalise" FSX for not using multiple cores - FSX just won't use them. But FSX will still benefit.

    There are inherent benefits for applications not explicitly written to support multi core hardware. The primary one is that there is less context switching - an application is not fighting with other processors for CPU time. On a single core box, you've got system processes, AV, web browser, ActiveSky, a flight planner and whatever else you have running, competing with MSFS for CPU time. While the system may prioritise FS, the other processes need to receive CPU time inevitably.

    On a multi-core system, there's more simultanous time available and much less competition - processes can also be given exclusive use of a core.

    angels355: That article is by the Register, they're not the best at research and accuracy. I doubt ESP is in any significant use, certainly nothing "irreplacable"
    Last edited by azur; 02-04-2009 at 04:05 AM.

  7. #217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by azur View Post
    angels355: That article is by the Register, they're not the best at research and accuracy. I doubt ESP is in any significant use, certainly nothing "irreplacable"
    Thanks Azur, you're a scholar and a gentleman.
    68,000 lbs of thrust..... "Excellent!" --Montgomery Burns, Simpsons tv show

  8. #218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by N400QW View Post
    The simple fact of the matter is that MS has the right to decide the future of the franchise
    You can call it stupidity because that's all it is. These bean counters have no idea when they makes stupid decisions like this and what the consequences are. This will backfire on them badly. But what really annoys me if this does backfire the people who made the decisions wont be held accountable and they some how will keep there jobs.

    Ms has let down the train sim community for the second time. The train sim was nearly finished. What they did with ACES and the wasted money they put into the new train sim is insane.

    I think Bill Gates will return.

  9. #219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wozzar View Post
    You can call it stupidity because that's all it is. These bean counters have no idea when they makes stupid decisions like this and what the consequences are. This will backfire on them badly. But what really annoys me if this does backfire the people who made the decisions wont be held accountable and they some how will keep there jobs.

    Ms has let down the train sim community for the second time. The train sim was nearly finished. What they did with ACES and the wasted money they put into the new train sim is insane.

    I think Bill Gates will return.
    I hoped we'd seen the last of uniformed and near-hysterical posts.

    Companies regularly change strategies and run down existing products. They are not stupid or insane for doing this.

    Bill Gates is non-exective Chairman of Microsoft. I imagine that his CEO, Steve Ballmer, would have informed him of these changes in advance.

  10. #220

    Default

    This thread has gone on long enough - if I was a moderator, I'd consider it locking it at this point. This is disgusting, really people. What happened happened and if we/they can save it, they will.......meanwhile, do what the other post said - enjoy the sim and "Fly the plane....:


    Checkout my new Facebook Page!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Airpl...05438883035386
    HP Z820 Workstation Intel Xeon 3.30ghz 8 Core Processor 2TB Hard Drive 16 gig of Ram 1125 Power Supply and 2 Gig Nvidia Geforce GTX 970. (YIPPPIE!!!!!)

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. ~ Breaking News ~ Aces are back in action
    By boxcar in forum The Outer Marker
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 10-31-2009, 04:36 PM
  2. Interesting article on Aces demise on BBC website
    By sanh in forum The Outer Marker
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-08-2009, 03:27 PM
  3. Just my .02 lira on ACES and the Future of Flight Sim
    By Distorted Humor in forum The Outer Marker
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-31-2009, 01:05 AM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-05-2002, 11:28 AM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-15-2002, 09:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •