Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Crater Lake, Oregon Tileproxy Tour Flight - Part 1 Lotta Pics!

Default Crater Lake, Oregon Tileproxy Tour Flight - Part 1 Lotta Pics!

Well my friends, here we are again with the Crater Lake Oregon Tileproxy tour. This is Part 1 of the trip, part 2 to be completed this afternoon after I study a little for a (ugghhhh written DOS test tomorrow )

Anyway, back to more pleasant thoughts, the journey:

The plane: Carenado's Cessna 182RG Skylane II.
    Weather: Fair weather (was not good in Active Sky X's for flight seeing...)

Did you know that Newport Oregon, our departure airport city, Newport is a city in Lincoln County, Oregon, United States. It was incorporated in 1882, though the name dates back to the establishment of a post office in 1868. As of the 2000 census, the city had a total population of 9,532, a growth of nearly 13% over its 1990 population; an unofficial 2006 estimate listed Newport's population at 10,240 residents.

Newport is the county seat of Lincoln County. It is also the home of the Oregon Coast Aquarium, Nye Beach, Yaquina Head Lighthouse, and Rogue Ales.

Take off, Newport Municipal Airport

Newport, Oregon

The Oregon Coast

Heading towards South Beach

South Beach

Our first Waypoint of the journey is a turn at Waldport, Oregon. Did you know that Waldport As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 2,050 people, 909 households, and 540 families residing in the city. The population density was 956.8 people per square mile (369.9/km). There were 1,099 housing units at an average density of 513.0/sq mi (198.3/km). The racial makeup of the city was 93.41% White, 0.10% African American, 2.20% Native American, 1.17% Asian, 0.10% Pacific Islander, 0.34% from other races, and 2.68% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.71% of the population.

There were 909 households out of which 23.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.2% were married couples living together, 12.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 40.5% were non-families. 34.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.24 and the average family size was 2.81.

In the city the population was spread out with 23.9% under the age of 18, 4.2% from 18 to 24, 22.8% from 25 to 44, 25.7% from 45 to 64, and 23.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 45 years. For every 100 females there were 83.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 78.3 males.

The median income for a household in the city was $33,301, and the median income for a family was $38,571. Males had a median income of $29,904 versus $22,071 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,939. About 9.4% of families and 17.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 24.9% of those under age 18 and 9.6% of those age 65 or over.

Turn at Waldport

Heading inland

I just like this nice balance of Clouds and Mountains....

Our second Waypoint is Eugene, Oregon. Did you know that Eugene Oregon The city of Eugene (pronounced /juːˈdʒiːn/ "yoo-JEEN") is the county seat of Lane County, Oregon, United States. It is located at the south end of the Willamette Valley, at the confluence of the McKenzie and Willamette rivers, about 60 miles (100 km) east of the Oregon Coast. According to the official 2007 population figures Eugene is the second largest city in the state of Oregon, with an estimated population of 153,690, and the third largest metropolitan population. Eugene has long been the state's second largest city after Portland, but was briefly overtaken by Salem in terms of population from around 2005 to 2007. Eugene has since overtaken Salem as Oregon's 2nd largest city.

Eugene is home to the University of Oregon. The city is also noted for its natural beauty, activist political leanings, alternative lifestyles, recreation opportunities (especially bicycling, rafting, and kayaking), and arts focus. Eugene's motto is "The World's Greatest City of the Arts and Outdoors." It is also referred to as "The Emerald Empire," "The Emerald City," "The People's Republic of Eugene," and "Track Town, USA". The Nike corporation had its beginnings in Eugene.

Approaching Eugene

Checkout my new Facebook Page!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Airpl...05438883035386
    HP Z820 Workstation Intel Xeon 3.30ghz 8 Core Processor 2TB Hard Drive 16 gig of Ram 1125 Power Supply and 2 Gig Nvidia Geforce GTX 970. (YIPPPIE!!!!!)

Default Tour Continuation.....

Fern Ridge Lake

Fern Ridge Reservoir is a reservoir on the Long Tom River in the U.S. state of Oregon. The reservoir is located approximately 12 miles (19 km) west of Eugene on Oregon Route 126. Fern Ridge Reservoir is a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers flood control project encompassing more than 12,000 acres (49 km). The area includes extensive wetlands and provides unique habitat for a variety of wildlife and wintering waterfowl populations. The reservoir is a popular site for boating, fishing and birdwatching.

Fern Ridge Reservoir is often referred to as Fern Ridge Lake.

Eugene City Limits

Eugene Rail Yard

Eugene with the Willamette River

Springfield, Oregon

Eugene/Springfield from the Cockpit

Nice arial of All Eugene/Springfield

Heading to the Calapooya Mountains

Did you know the Calapooya Mountains are a short mountain range in southwestern Oregon in the United States. The range runs for approximately 60 miles (97 km) west from the Cascade Range between Eugene (N) and Roseburg (S).

The range separates the basins of the Willamette River to the north with that of the Umpqua River to the south. The highest peaks in the range include Scott Mountain (el. 4,250 feet (1,295 m)AMSL) approximately 20 miles (32 km) northeast of Roseburg. The North Umpqua River flows along the southern edge of the range. The crest of the range is sometimes called the Calapooya Divide.

The mountains have been an important timber source in the 20th century. The eastern end of the mountains are largely within the Umpqua National Forest and Willamette National Forest.

Throughout the history of the region the range has provided a geographic and cultural barrier between the Willamette Valley and the South Umpqua Valley, effectively separating Western Oregon from Southern Oregon. In the 19th century, it separated the tribal domains of the Kalapuya and Coquille tribes of Native Americans, both of which ceded their lands to the U.S. government in the 1854 Kalapuya Treaty. During the 1840s the mountains became an inconvenient barrier for white settlers seeking to move into southern Oregon or to move southward to the California gold fields. The Applegate Trail, blazed in the late 1840s provided the first reliable path for white settlement through the western end of the mountains. Interstate 5 essentially follows the route of the trail between Eugene and Roseburg.

Lowell Falls Creek

Another angle of Lowell Falls Creek

More to come, hang on tight!

HP Z820 Workstation Intel Xeon 3.30ghz 8 Core Processor 2TB Hard Drive 16 gig of Ram 1125 Power Supply and 2 Gig Nvidia Geforce GTX 970. (YIPPPIE!!!!!)

I just like this shot....

Mount Bailey, Oregon stands at 8363ft.

Leaving Mount Bailey

And now, the HIGHLIGHT of the tour! Crater Lake! Did you know that Crater Lake is a caldera lake located in the U.S. state of Oregon. It is the main feature of Crater Lake National Park and famous for its deep blue color and water clarity. The lake partly fills a nearly 4,000 foot (1,220 m) deep caldera that was formed around 5,677 ( 150) BC by the collapse of the volcano Mount Mazama.

On June 12, 1853, John Wesley Hillman was reportedly the first European American to see what he named "Deep Blue Lake" in Oregon. The lake was renamed at least three times, as Blue Lake, Lake Majesty, and finally Crater Lake.

Crater Lake is known for the "Old Man of the Lake", a full-sized tree that has been bobbing vertically in the lake for more than a century. Due to the cold water of the lake, the tree has been rather well preserved.

While having no indigenous fish population, the lake was stocked from 1888 to 1941 with a variety of fish. Several species have formed self sustaining populations.

The commemorative Oregon State Quarter, which was released by the United States Mint in 2005, features an image of Crater Lake on its reverse side.

Approaching Crater Lake Garfield Peak and Dutton Cliff on the right

Crater Lake with Wizard Island

Better view of Wizard Island

Wide shot of Crater Lake Cloudcap Peak in front

Hope you enjoy - more to come as I complete this wonderful tour. An article I read online said Oregon coast was one of the top 10 places to visit before you die. I know why from the brief encounter in Tileproxy, which now made me alter my flight plan and return to Newport following the coast. Have a good one all, be back soon!

Excellent shots John,having visited that area in Oregon it does bring back some good memories,the drive up the coast from Newport to Astoria is one of the most spectacular coastlines in the country!Good Show!

Thanks Aircav - that's what I love about Tileproxy - it lets you see things "as they are" and not some "rendition" of the world. To me, to quote the ol' beer commercials, "It doesn't get any better than this....."

Brilliant work! Love the last shot, great stuff mate.

Beautiful shots and series, John!!

Thanks David, appreciate it my friend! Even if I get to do it only Virtually, I'll be happy - Tileproxy gives me the sense of "Being there" even if only on a computer monitor...

That's one thing I don't like either - go some where like that and TONS of people around. It's best to enjoy the here and now by yourself sometimes or with your family...

Thanks Tyler, thanks Asad, appreciate it my friends! Off to study DOS for a bit (ugghhh). Not looking forward to this test tomorrow...

Yes she is - they have a new version of her at Flight1.com for sale....beauty of a plane now that she's properly updated - It's all I fly with.... on the low and slow side that is...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast