Thread: Scenery Library Issue! Scenery wont save in library!

Default Scenery Library Issue! Scenery wont save in library!

Hello all,

I downloaded Squakbox which reset all of my scenery to the default, which is understandable. I decided to put off flying online for a while and uninstalled Sqaukbox box. When I restarted my computer and the sim ALL of my add on scenery is not listed in the scenery library. I have to go through and manually add all +60 sceneries everytime I start the sim otherwise its all default airports. Nothing has changed in my add on scenery folder but for some reason once I add all of the sceneries and exit the sim, the next time I boot up FS they will all be unlisted. Any help out there before I cry for the entire 2 hours that it takes me to re-install, configure, set up AI, scenery, aircraft, sounds and modules all over again.

Any help or recommendations are highly appreciated.
    Thanks alot.

At the edge of the foothills west of Denver, Colorado, USA.

urcaptainspeaking,

Are you remembering to force FS to rebuild the scenery indexes? I don't recall where in the menus this operation is located, but it's essential.
    Digital abstract art copyright 2010 Mike McCarthy, all rights reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by urcaptainspeaking View Post
    Hello all,

I downloaded Squakbox which reset all of my scenery to the default, which is understandable. I decided to put off flying online for a while and uninstalled Sqaukbox box. When I restarted my computer and the sim ALL of my add on scenery is not listed in the scenery library. I have to go through and manually add all +60 sceneries everytime I start the sim otherwise its all default airports. Nothing has changed in my add on scenery folder but for some reason once I add all of the sceneries and exit the sim, the next time I boot up FS they will all be unlisted. Any help out there before I cry for the entire 2 hours that it takes me to re-install, configure, set up AI, scenery, aircraft, sounds and modules all over again.

Any help or recommendations are highly appreciated.
    Thanks alot.
    What OS are you using - XP or Vista?

What version of FS are you using - 9 or 10 (FS2004 or FSX) ?

What exactly do you mean when you say "manually add" all 60 sceneries etc?

Does the sim "re-index" the sceneries after you have added them back in?

A few more details will be helpful.
    David "Opa" Marshall

Hi,

AI, aircraft, and sounds are not touched by SB, so I don't think they need to be re-installed.

I just read the whole SB manual and no where do I see where it resets FS to a default state.

Quote Originally Posted by opaplano View Post
    What OS are you using - XP or Vista?

What version of FS are you using - 9 or 10 (FS2004 or FSX) ?

What exactly do you mean when you say "manually add" all 60 sceneries etc?

Does the sim "re-index" the sceneries after you have added them back in?

A few more details will be helpful.
    Im running FS9 on Vista.

When I say manually add I mean this, when I run FS9 right now there are no add on sceneries in the library.....so I add them (add area) and select ok. I get the screen that says next time I boot FS the changes will take effect. When I restart FS the sceneries I added will be activated as normal and everything is fine....BUT....once I exit them sim in that session and restart it, all the airports are back to the default ones and when I look at the scenery library none of them are listed and I have to add all the areas again then restart the sim. The last change that I made to my sim was installing Squakbox, and then uninstalling in which now I have this problem. I'm starting to think that a re-install will be the only way to fix it, which will be a pain due to all that i've put into customizing the sim but what has to be done, has to be done.

I REALLY appreciate all of your help and feedback though, i'm gonna work on the solution some more before deciding on a re-install. Ill keep the forums posted on the solution.

Dave---- Looks like his scenery.cfg file is not being written to. But then again he gets the write and then the next time the changes are gone.

Captain, When you installed FS did you accept the default install path? Wonder if running As Administrator would make a difference?

Captain,

Do you have full write permissions?

You might also take a look (using Notepad) at your scenery.cfg file (in the main Flight Simulator 9 folder) and see if the first entry reads this way:

[General]
    Title=FS9 World Scenery
    Description=FS9 Scenery Data
    Clean_on_Exit=FALSE

If the Clean_on_Exit= line reads TRUE, change it to FALSE.

This assumes you did do a full FS2004 installation and did not opt to keep some of the files on the install disks.

Good luck.
    David "Opa" Marshall