Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: OT - Gas (Petrol) prices

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by G7USL View Post
    The thing I don't understand is why; Diesel (I use) is 10 pence higher?
    That wonderfull thing called Tax. Because you get better milage, the Government feel it's OK to tax diesel at a higher rate and car manufacturers feel simarlily justified in charging more for a diesel engine.

Hence, unless you're likely to drive more than 20,000 miles per year; petrol engine are still the way to go................not to mention they sound nicer :-)

Paul

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by xxmikexx View Post
    Paul,

I don't claim to understand the situation in the UK or on the continent but if you look at the overall tax burden on the average USA citizen wage/salary earner it's on the order of 25%.

As a result, in most families the wives are forced to work to keep the family afloat though this has been going on for a full generation so that the young couples of today don't think of it that way.
    That seems a very low tax burden Mike. In rough numbers, in the UK everyone pays 0% tax on the first £5,000 of their income, then 20% on the next £35,000 (plus 11% National Insurance - another tax), then 40% on everything else (plus 1% National insurance)

Then we pay 17.5% VAT (like US sales tax) on everything (alomost) that we buy plus extortionate amount of additional tax on goods like alcohol, cigarettes and petrol/diesel.

Next is local authority property tax in the region of £2,000 per annum.

Then how about flight tax, we (5 of us) went to Vegas earlier this year. The total for the flights only was £2,294; but that included taxes and fees of, wait for it..............£829!!!!

So $4 US for a gallon of gas here is a big jump from what people had been used to paying. It affects not only the cost of driving to work (and we drive much longer distances than you/continent do), it affects the cost of all good and most services.
    That's probably true. My average petrol bill is £200 per month and I drive less than 10,000 miles per year, which I imagine is low by US standards.

You were amazed at the low prices here perhaps because you were seeing the devaluation of the dollar at work. It hasn't only been since we bailed out the international banking system, it was going on before that.
    I don't think that's the case. I've been to the US some 10/12 times over the last 10 years or so and it's always been an amazingly cheap place to visit from car rental to gas to food to hotels and especially shopping! In fact the only thing I have found expensive in the last few years is the cost of theme park tickets

On top of all this, I could moan about the weather, but having seen the TV news over the weekend showing stories about tornados and huricanes.......I guess I'll keep quiet on that :-)

It be interesting to hear from someone in Sweden or Switzerland; apparently they pay even more than we do!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Golding View Post
    That wonderfull thing called Tax. Because you get better milage, the Government feel it's OK to tax diesel at a higher rate and car manufacturers feel simarlily justified in charging more for a diesel engine.

Hence, unless you're likely to drive more than 20,000 miles per year; petrol engine are still the way to go................not to mention they sound nicer :-)

Paul
    And lorries use diesel which in turn makes the cost of living soar. What a shower eh?

4. Default

And lorries use diesel which in turn makes the cost of living soar. What a shower eh?
    Agreed. Fortunately, having never ever voted for the Labour Party or Mr B liar, my conscience is clear.

Imagine how much water will cost once they get hydro engined cars into production!

Going totally of the FS topic now, and for the benefit of those in other countries, this is an extract of an interview with the UK Chancellor of the Exchequer (aka Finance Minister)

Alistair can't answer his critics
    On five occasions, the panicking Chancellor refused to move beyond a prepared statement, robotically parroting the same phrases about ‘credit crunch’, ‘oil and food prices’ and ‘every other country in the world’.

First BBC Scotland’s political editor Brian Taylor asked Mr Darling why he had given such a bleak assessment of the economy.

Mr Darling replied: ‘I think it’s important that I tell people that we, along with every other country in the world, face a unique set of circumstances where we have got the credit crunch coming at the same time as high oil and food prices.

'That means there is a profound difference in the economy, along with every other country in the world.’

Mr Taylor: ‘But isn’t it the job of the Leader of the Opposition to say – and I use your words – “we are p****d off” about the economy?’

Mr Darling: ‘I think it’s important that Government Ministers and me in particular are level with people and explain that every other country in the world, ours included, have a credit crunch the like of which we have not seen in generations at the same time as oil and food prices going up.’

Mr Taylor: ‘But Chancellor, the strategy here is puzzling. Shouldn’t you be reassuring people rather than talking down the economy and saying it’s the worst for 60 years?’

Mr Darling: ‘I think it’s important that while we, along with every other country in the world, are facing the unique combination of a credit crunch, high oil and food prices, that we do everything possible to help people.’

Mr Taylor (clearly becoming frustrated): ‘Do you regret blurting out the truth in such a frank fashion?’

Mr Darling: ‘I have been saying for many weeks now that we along with every other country in the world are facing a unique set of circumstances: the credit crunch along with very high oil and food prices...’

Mr Taylor: ‘Chancellor, forgive me, but you have made that point a number of times. What I am after is what was the thinking behind this?

'Usually Chancellor of the Exchequers should provide calm reassurance. You are talking about people being “p****d off” with the economy and the worst crisis for 60 years. Won’t this make things worse?’

Mr Darling: ‘I think it’s important that when people ask why are these problems facing countries across the world, that finance ministers explain that we have got a credit crunch the like of which we have not seen in generations and rising oil and food prices causing inflationary pressures.

'And we also explain that’s why we need to support the economy now and help the economy through what is undoubtedly a difficult time.’

A phrase including words like shitcreek and no paddle comes to mind.

Going back to the weather, did you get any of that storm that was forecast Dave? Our postcode was supposed to have got a nasty thunder storm and heavy rain from 4pm yesterday and all we got was a light shower for 15 minutes at around 6 with not even the faintest rumble of distant thunder. Bloody forecasters are about as good as the politicians :-(

Paul

5. Default

On the subject of petrol (gas) prices, users in the UK may find this handy

http://www.petrolprices.com/

I'm sure other countries will have similar but in my area, I found that today the cost of unleaded varies between £1.06 and £1.19 per litre. Filling up from empty that's a variation form £74.20 to £83.30!

Paul

No Paul, we didn't get any thunderstorms but a freind living near Gatwick did.

Now while I have your attention - Hw's the '727X' coming along

7. Default

No Paul, we didn't get any thunderstorms but a freind living near Gatwick did.

Now while I have your attention - Hw's the '727X' coming along
    Nowhere as quickly as I'd like it to be :-(

Paul

We can wait.

At the edge of the foothills west of Denver, Colorado, USA.

Paul,

Thanks for the information. FYI the average USA car is driven about 20,000 miles a year, but most suburban families use two cars. In the western states, and along the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains the average is probably more like 30,000 miles per year per car. In this area it is common for people to commute 100+ miles to work, for example I used to drive every day from Colorado Springs to Fort Collins, something like120 miles. (I don't recall specifically -- memory getting spotty.)

I hear you regarding shopping. If you say it is so then it is so. My perception of what's REALLY cheap here compared to UK/continent is land/housing. We've got an enormous amount of land that even today is undeveloped. As a result land prices are compatively low, and the prices of houses are comparatively low, especially in the "flyover" -- the area between the coastal states, Chicago area excluded.

The Metro Denver area contains about 3.6 million people but we're spread out in an area that's perhaps 40 miles north/south by an average of 10 miles east west. That's 8750 people per square mile. Even if I'm off somehow by a factor of two, or five, or ten, the density is still extremely low for a metro area out your way, I do believe.

Autothrottles rule.
    Last edited by xxmikexx; 09-01-2008 at 03:35 PM.
    Digital abstract art copyright 2010 Mike McCarthy, all rights reserved.

10. Default

to Europeans the US always seems incredibly cheap.
    Pretty much everyone is 30-50% more expensive here, and that's combined with pre-tax incomes that are some 30% higher for the same work.
    Combine that with the lower income tax and the difference gets even larger.
    Of course you need to set aside more money than we do for things like social security and pension plans which here are paid for in part (part getting smaller, despite premiums remaining the same) out of taxes, but that still won't cover the difference.

Americans OTOH seem far more ready than Europeans to buy things they can't afford and don't really need, buy on credit, and get themselves into financial trouble as a result.
    The credit burden on American families therefore is the big equaliser, yet still the buying power of the American exceeds that of the European by a wide margin.

But back to gas prices.
    Highway prices are now around €1.63 per liter here. About 70% of that is taxes.
    That's over $9 per gallon, would be $10 per gallon hadn't the dollar recovered some of its value over the last few weeks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast