DF236 FSX Update for those with Vista Issues

For the few of you having issues with the Dakota in Vista 32, please try this gauge update.

NOTE: Consider this to be "beta" until we get feedback from you in this thread.

Download the update here:

http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/Previews/236/downloads/DF236_Gauges.zip

Installation:

1. Unzip the file to a folder of your choice. Open the folder and look inside where you will find the following (2) files: df236.dll and rxp-DF236-Setup.exe.

2. Copy the df236.dll to the FSX/Gauges folder and overwrite the existing df236.dll

3. To play it safe, open up the FSX/Gauges folder and delete the following (3) files from it:

rxpFLN.df236.dll, rxpFLT.df236.dll, and rxpGNS.df236.dll

3. Run the rxp-DF236-Setup.exe installer to install the revised Reality XP gauges that you deleted above.

NOTE:

** When running the RXP installer there is NO need to re-install the Garmin trainer.

** This Update does NOT include the new Reality XP 32 bit GNS430W. This will follow in a later update.

** It is also important that you have read and followed the instructions concerning use of the Garmin Trainer in Vista, located in this thread:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=181505

Please report your findings to this thread.

Thank you! :)

Regards,

Lou Betti

http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/forum_banners/DF_BANNER_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Hi Lou,

Installed your update Beta for the RXP Garmin. I used my existing Garmin installation which was exactly as it came originally, not with the Trainer in the GNS 430 folder.

Started up FSX and selected a previously saved flight with the Dakota. Came right up. Then selected another airplane and it worked, then selected the Dakota again while airborne with the previous plane and it worked perfectly. Tried downloading weather, using the flight planner and every possible situation I could dream up and the Dakota loaded perfectly. Then, for my grand finale and last attempt and crashing FSX, I closed FSX, loaded up another airplane other than the Dakota, took off and flew around a bit, then selected the Dakota in mid flight and it loaded just as though it was an FSX default aircraft.

From my perspective, the Dakota looks completely fixed for us Vista 32 types with some sort of anomally operating system.

I should add, however, just for the record, that pursuant to working with getting this terrific addon aircraft to work, I had previously turned off User Account Control, given every permission possible to running FSX, and made myself a complete administrator for my Vista 32 operating system via a DOS command. And, I turned off DEP. Additionally, I had downloaded and installed the stand alone Microsoft Vista Service Pack 1 update to Windows Vista (465 Megabytes worth). I am thoroughly happy to have done all of this as I feel it has made Vista now a far better to work with operating system. A local computer GURU type working with Information Technology at Walmart told me that Service Pack 1 for Vista would do a lot to speed up disk access times and a bunch of other techno babble stuff I had no clue about and it seems he was right as I am running FSX faster than ever before and great frame rates with the Dakota 2D or 3D panel and using the Garmin 430 windowed or not.

Thanks again so much for what I consider to be the best General Aviation addon to FSX I have ever seen, IMHO!

Best of luck to all of you at Dreamfleet! So very much looking forward to the Arrow!

Bob, Rogers, Arkansas, KROG, home of Walmart Aviation

GO RAZORBACKS!

My system specs:

Windows Vista 32 with Service Pack 1

Intel Q6600 @ 2.4

Nvidia GT 8800

4 Megs Corsair RAM

CH Yoke and Pedals

9 GoFlight Modules (MCP, 3 P-8, 2 166A, LGT, T-8, GF-45)

Triplehead To Go

3 Hanns-G 19 inch LCD monitors

Also, can you please do this:

1. Right-click on fsx.exe (or fs9.exe)

2. Select Properties.

3. Click the Compatibility tab.

4. Select the Disable visual themes checkbox.

It seems this might cause the problem.

Jean-Luc

I made several flights this morning and did NOT experience the hard crash from the original release. So far it looks good. Thanks.

Bob..

Velocity Micro Quad 9450 (stock)

EVGA 8800GT 512

4 gig Corsair Mem

Vista Home SP1

FSX SP2/w Acceleration

Windows Defender and UAC have been turned off before FSX was installed.

Patch works fine with UAC off.

After that, if I active UAC, CTD. OK.

Then, if I desactive UAC, still CTD !

At that point, I have to desinstall Garmin 400 Series Trainer and execute the patch again.

After that, if UAC is on, works fine again.

Will it be possible to use Garmin with UAC off/on/off (or on always) ?

(Sorry for my bad english).

Hi Jean-Luc,

I have done all of the above, and it has made some improvements, I can make short flights as long as I load the default Cessna 172 first.

Problems seam to arise if you “click too many buttons” for example using the GPS makes the sim unstable. If you use the Configuration Panel and then try to save your changes you will then get a crash to desktop.

Do you have any more suggestions?

I look forward to hearing from you,

Ian

I don’t know if this is of any relevance, but when I run the Dakota in FS9 the aircraft runs fine, but the digits on some of the instruments are missing (namely the air speed indicator & the altimeter).

I have also tried running the installation with the compatibility set to “Windows XP with SP2” but that doesn’t seem too help solve the problem.

Ian

I had an opportunity this weekend to install your Vista 32 patch. It did improve things, in that I could load the Dakota , whereas previously FSX would crash while loading the plane. I took four flights in the plane and was only able to complete one. The rest ended in the sim freezing up in mid flight. It was necessary to do a hard restart to get FSX running again.

The strange thing about the problems I am having with the Dakota is that they didn’t manifest themselves until I had flown the plane for a couple of weeks. It worked perfectly the day I purchased it. I have my Vista updates set to automatic and I wonder if an update was installed that effectively broke the plane. Nothing else has been added or changed in FSX since I installed the Dakota.

I hope you are able to get the plane and garmin trainer working with Vista, as I really enjoy the Dakota

Thanks

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any Vista 32 users with the Dakota in FSX using it trouble free?

Is it a common problem affecting all/most installs or just a small minority?

I'm itching to buy the Dakota it looks awesome. I even switched back to Vista 32 from 64 last week after reading on the main store about it not being compatable with 64, with the intention of buying it, but after diving into the forums I'm not so sure for now :confused:

Paul

Hi Edouard,

From what I read the Vista UAC function was introduced to try and stop incompetant users from accidently damaging their PC. However, it is so intrusive that most of the time it stops one from running anything normally. As such, and unless you do like constantly fiddling with things, I suggest that you turn off UAC and leave it off for good !

Alastair

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AOPA #04634067

I have had UAC turned off from day-one and I have a number of complicated addons working without problems (PMDG, Level-D, Eaglesoft, etc). I just can't get the DF236 to consistantly work in FSX & Vista for any period of time. Sometimes it will CTD when I try to load the plane, and other times it will CTD in the midddle of a flight. I realy like this product but the inconsistency is driving me crazy. Does anyone at DF think that we will have a solution in the near future?

Charlie

I had all those problems early on (well up till recently actually) but since I installed Vista Service Pack 1, no problems AT ALL. I am inclined to agree with an earlier poster that it may have been an incompatibility issue with a Vista update after the Dakota was released, but at my end at least I have had no further issues at all. Now looking forward to some more Aussie repaints! :)

I have tried all the suggestions on this forum but still the problem persists. The aircraft usually loads ok and sometimes you can fly it for a while before the inevitable crash to desktop, which usually occur without warning and do not even give the option of restarting FSX or checking for a solution online.

The Dreamfleet team seem to be very slow in responding to this problem, and even a little reluctant to answer posts about it, but if the product is Vista compatible then that is what it should be, so I am still awaiting some sort of update to address those issues.

Regards,

Ian

Hi Ian,

To be fair, this is a FS2004 product updated (for free) to FSX.

Consider that for full compatibility it needs to work in:

FSX

FSX SP1

FSX SP2

Vista

Vista SP1

which is at least 6 combinations just to start with, even ignoring the fact that the original Vista came in 4-5 different versions. All of which have their own quirks, and which are almost certainly combined with numerous different anti-virus products, some of which corrupt the installation unless fully deactivated or completely uninstalled.

Thus it may well take the DreamFleet team a while to work out what the problem(s) are before they can find a solution. Problems affecting everyone are a lot easier to solve than those only affecting a few users.

Alastair

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AOPA #04634067

Thanks for your reply Alastair; I did buy the Dakota specifically for FSX. I appreciate that we are talking about a fairly complicated model, but it would be good to know that the DreamFleet team are addressing the problem.

It is a little frustrating because on the occasions that I have been able to fly the Dakota it really is one of the most pleasant light aircraft that I have experienced in any flight simulator so please forgive my impatience!

Regards,

Ian

Hi Ian,

In my experience most major bugs are successfully eliminated during Beta testing, but it isn't until a product is released that its exposed to the full range and variety of systems and software.

With both FSX (in all its variations) and Vista there has been an unprecedented level of problems for all major companies, and identifying and solving the problems is taking longer than anyone likes. Your frustration is entirely understandable, but its ten times worse for the software developers !

Hopefully these gremlins will be soon resolved and you will be able to enjoy flying the Dakota like the rest of us !

Alastair

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AOPA #04634067

• 1 month later...
Everyone with the CTD problem should check if FSUIPC 4 is installed. If yes: you have to deactivate FSUIPC (i.e. rename fsuipc4.dll) and try the Dakota again. From the moment I canceled FSUIPC the Dakota works very fine...:)

Allways three greens!

Markus

Visit Flusi.info :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Marcus,

I followed your suggestion and disabled FSUIPC and yes I did have a very satisfying session flying the Dakota, I thought all my problems were solved!

Unfortunately the next time that I started FSX the Dakota caused an immediate crash to desktop, which I find a little puzzling.

Regarding Alastair’s suggestions that this is a FS2004 model, I have problems with it in that sim, insofar as the digits on the major instruments do not appear, something that I mentioned to Jean-Luc in a previous post, in which he asked me to supply screenshots, but still there has been no word about that since!

I am assuming that the team at DreamFleet are working on a fix for those problems; it would be nice if they could let us know how this work is progressing and what sort of time frame we are looking at?

Regards,

Ian