Thread: Re: Program Quits Unexpectedly

bilbo Guest

Default Re: Program Quits Unexpectedly

The typical install works great for me. The program runs great although a bit
    slow on the frame rates. (I have a 166 MMX, Matrox Mystique & Matrox M3D - not
    the best for CFS & MS98 - and 32mb RAM.
    My problem is after I've loaded a bunch of extra planes & missions, when I
    select single mission, the program just quits on it's own & goes back to the
    desktop. (the desktop colors become different too).
    I uninstalled the program, reinstalled it, and everything runs fine. Then I add
    the extra planes & missions and it's back to exiting back to the desktop on
    it's own. What's up??? Is 32mb enough for a stock setup of CFS but more planes
    & missions need more memory. Has anybody else experienced this? I ran through
    the entire forum & didn't see any similar problems.
    I would bet that something is missing from the mission or planes that you have
    added. Try loading each of them one at a time and testing them to find the
    specific plane or it's part that is missing. Often, it can be traced to a panel
    bitmap missing for an add-on plane. You should be running at least 64mb ram.
    You'd probably notice a difference.
    The problem with the desktop is another CFS bug that I get here sometimes also.
    It seems to me that CFS uses the 640 in the menu screens but has a problem when
    you change from full screen in CFS to the windows desktop if you have windows
    setup for some other than 640 X480 resolution.
    My taskbar ends up in the 640 position sometimes when I'm in 800X600. What I do
    is I change my resoluting to 640 and then back to 800 and it's fixed.
    Bilbo

lcole Guest

Bilbo
    Well, thanks Bilbo. I solved the problem. I have a WWII mission that I got off
    another site, that takes place in New Zealand. I pointed the program to find my
    FS98 New Zealand scenery (by P.G.Middlemiss). Unfortunately, CFS apparently
    does not like this particular scenery, and the program just quits. I have all
    the Airport & VOD textures, and I know that pointing the program at my FS98
    scenery works, because it works for the Hawaii scenery (for Pearl Harbor
    mission). All I can figure is there is something incompatible with that
    scenery. Anyway, all is fine now. My next investment will be another 32 meg of
    RAM. Then another graphics card; which brings me to my next question. What is
    the BEST graphics card for FS98/CFS? Voodoo?? Monster?? And is it a standalone
    card, or is there a main graphics card and a secondary card, like my current
    Matrox Mystique/Matrox M3D? 90% of what I do on the computer is flying FS98 &
    CFS so I want the best graphics card for these programs.
    Loren Cole

lcole Guest

Bilbo
    Loren Cole
    P.S. I forgot to mention, I made a new New Zealand directory, used the BGL's
    included with the mission, and everything works great,
    Thanx again

bilbo Guest

Bilbo
    Loren Cole
    P.S. I forgot to mention, I made a new New Zealand directory, used the BGL's
    included with the mission, and everything works great,
    Thanx again
    Glad that you have it figured out. I am running a riva chipset card here with 4
    megs Ram on it and I get 40fps often. It probably averages about 35 FPS(It
    uses system Ram so the more the better)
    My machine is a 300PII and has 64 meg Ram. This is the only machine that I have
    seen either sim used on, so i'm not really sure which card would be the best.
    In FS98 however, a few HUD gauges don't show up visually though with this card
    so I'm not entirely sure that I'm getting all the 3d effects. I think the
    Monster card is real popular with many simmers but don't take my word for it.
    Do a search on maybe avsim or simflight, as I think I've seen a comparison
    somewhere on the web with screenshots.
    Bilbo

bcarroll Guest

Bilbo
    Loren Cole
    I have a 4meg Matrox Mystique/Powerdesk followed by a 12MB Blaster Voodoo2,
    with a 233 AMD processor with 64 meg RAM. CFS frame rate from 24fps to 65fps.
    needless to say Im very happy with this set up. FS98 frame rate range from
    14fps to 70fps with a average of 26fps. Lots of good 3dfx cards out there that
    will work well for you. However the best thing I ever did for my system was to
    install the Blaster Voodoo2 card to work with my Matrox.
    Good Luck
    Bill

6. Default

Hello, i am searching very rare version of hexen2.
    This is suplied with matrox m3d videocard this is second disk contain this OEM DEMO Version.
    I am huge hexen2 fun and i am have 1.10 version and i am searchin 1.08
    You can open glh2.exe and search "Hexen II Version" after this string you will see number version.
    You can open it with notepad for example

Hilarious!
    -----------------------------------------
    Simon