Thread: Sound Blaster Audigy Player

1. Default Sound Blaster Audigy Player

Is there anyone out there using the above mentioned sound card that is have trouble with fligt sim? I cannot get sound with any aircraft apart from the default cessna. This dosn't only happen in FS2002 but also FS2000. I have installed CFS2 and the sound is ok in that sim so can anyone tell me what is wrong.

If anyone is using the above sound card i'd love to hear from you about your settings.

Cheers

Coops

2. Default RE: Sound Blaster Audigy Player

I think the problem i have with this sound is a very rare one if nobody out there has posted here, so i went to the microsoft support page and guess what? they do not support FS2002, bloody marvellous another 70 wasted.

Upset and angry

Coops :-mad

3. Default RE: Sound Blaster Audigy Player

I think the problem i have with this sound is a very rare one if nobody out there has posted here, so i went to the microsoft support page and guess what? they do not support FS2002, bloody marvellous another 70 wasted.

Upset and angry

Coops :-mad

4. Default RE: Sound Blaster Audigy Player

Calm down :)

Thing's to look at: If you're getting sound with the Cessna, then it's unlikely to be the soundcard at fault. More likely something's gone north in FS.

In Explorer, go into your [font color=blue]FS2000\Aircraft\C182\Sound[/font] folder.

This is the folder which defines the noises for that plane. Look for the file [font color=red]sound.cfg[/font] and open it in Notepad. This tells FS exactly what sounds to play and when.

You'll notice that this folder is full of WAV files which relate to the CFG file.

Another way of getting aircraft sounds without distributing all those WAV files is to use sounds already installed, so for instance, I could design a plane called "The Vikester" and give it a full sound set simply by using the following two lines in SOUND.CFG:

[font size=1](following brackets should be square)[/font]

[font color=red]{fltsim}
    alias=c182\sound[/font]

When you load The Vikester, it would use the sound files for the Cessna.

Now, you need to know one more thing: If the SOUND.CFG doesn't make any sense (for example the "alias=" bit points to a non-existant folder) FS will use the sounds from the previously loaded aircraft.

If your default flight uses the Cessna and you then load up something like a 707 which features a dodgy sound.cfg, it will use Cessna sounds.

Phew. So, what you need to do is go into the folder of an aircraft which doesn't work and check to see if it's using an alias. If it is, does the folder its pointing to exist? If it doesn't use an alias but instead defines all the sound sections explicitly, are those WAV files in the sound folder?

You need to check that the SOUND.CFG files used by your dodgy aircraft are valid, the most likely reason they don't work is that they're aliased to a directory which doesn't exist.

If this turns out to be the case, change the alias to something which makes sense, for example a prop plane:

[font color=red]{fltsim}
    alias=c182\sound[/font]

but a jet:

[font color=red]{fltsim}
    alias=b747\sound[/font]

What I tend to do is download Mike Hambly's sound sets and put them in a folder called "sound" in the aircraft directory. Then I can alias as many aircraft as I like to the same set of WAVS. So, if I download, I dunno, DC10 sounds, I put them in the folder [font color=blue]"aircraft\sound\DC10"[/font] and any aircraft can use it by aliasing to:

[font color=red]{fltsim}
    alias=sound\dc10[/font]

Well, this has all got a bit long winded, but I hope it makes sense. Good luck :)

Adam