Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Any unusual experiences in flying. (real life)

mcholly Guest

Default Any unusual experiences in flying. (real life)

Has anyone ever had a strange experience while flying in real life? Either as a passenger or pilot. As a pilot, I have only had an engine fuel pump failure, so thats a good thing!

Default RE: Any unusual experiences in flying. (real life)

Well, its not unusual but funny! During our break in groundschool, me and some others were standing outside on the deck watchin some student pilot on final. He was going left and right, up and down, smashed into the ground, bounced up, back down, back up and down but still nose high for half of a really really long runway...I haven't even bounced a plane yet!
    Cheers
    https://www.flightsim.com/images/noimage.png
    Virtual Air Canada Tango: http://www.geocities.com/flyvact/main.html
    CYYJ

3. Default RE: Any unusual experiences in flying. (real life)

You will believe me:-lol

4. Default RE: Any unusual experiences in flying. (real life)

I have. And I didn't do it for a while into my training. Even when I first started. But one day I was doing short field landings and I don't know what the heck happened but it wasn't great. I bounced about 6-10 feet back into the air. I was with my instructor and I told him, "I think that is the worst landing I have ever had." He said, "oh don't worry everyone bounces now and then." So you just wait. I met a guy who stalled a plane about 30 feet from the ground. Said he messed up the nose gear and hurt his back.

Flashpoint Guest

When Delta was running the FLUF (737-200) into KLEX in the early 90's, I got the pleasure of watching one blow all the main tires out from a 20 foot stall/drop. Now that I reflect back, that is the first time I cursed too. I left out a loud "HOLY SHNIKES" from the observation deck with about 25 people in it. Although I didn't say SHNIKES ;-)

J.Garrett
    MidContinent Air Services, LLC
    KLEX
    Lexington, KY, USA

Athlon XP 2200
    GF4 Ti4600
    1GB PC3200 DDR
    100/80GB HD's
    30-50fps
    3DMark2001SE=12198

"'O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade that with it thou mayest blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats ....."

Hmm, I've been lucky so far. I had an alternater go out on me once. I just shut off the master switch and flew home. And ive had doors pop open on me a couple times when i took off. But that's no big deal but gets your attention.

Ive shot a couple NDB approaches down to mininums and barely got in to the airport.

Not really anything unusual yet (knock on wood) and if I have, it must not have been that unusual cause id probably remember.

Oh wait I remember one. When i was a student pilot I was up soloing, and taking pictures of my house. I was looking at my house through the camara not paying to much attention, and i looked up and there was a Cessna 182 making a sharp bank to the right, right in front of me about 1/8 of a mile away. He was headed straight for me a sec ago and didnt even see him. I was under radar service too, but they didnt say anything to me. I banked her hard to the right and passed through his wake turb and got a little bounce from it. Come to find out, it was my instructor up with another student in that cessna 182. lol. pretty crazy. But that was the closest i have ever came to a air to air. We were at the same altitude and everything. So always remember, do your scan and don't screw around. lol

Perhaps my most unusual flying experience is similar to yours.

I was just starting to circle my unlce's house in my 140. The area I fly in really isn't that crowded with airplanes, though I always lift my wing before beginning a turn, and then lean forward to check in front of my turn, but this time I just didn't see the airplane.

I glanced down at the house to check my circle, glanced back up to the windscreen and saw a 150 Aerobat filling it. It was so close I could clearly identify the color and the N-number! (he had 12-inch numbers, though). He was also in a turn just a few feet above me, though something tells me he was maneuvering in the area, as well, not just avoiding me.

A little shaken up, I headed straight for the airport and taxied to the fuel pump. Wouldn't you know, an A150 lands a few minutes later. It taxies up beside my airplane. I read the N-number. Oh my...it's the same one I almost ran into! I began thinking it was an FAA plane or something and that they were after me. I tried to ignore them, focusing on the $$'s flipping by on the fuel pump. Luckily, they went straight for the office to ask the 'head guy' some things I suppose, and they left. The "head guy" (you can give him just about any title, he fills every role) didn't say anything to me, so that's probably a good sign.

The A150 was in a left turn when I saw it, so they may not have even seen me.

Other than that, most of the odd experiences from my 125 hours have come from windows coming open at takeoff during my training (which doesn't phase me by now, I'd come to almost expect it).

Ray - N89864

Flashpoint Guest

I've been close to a mid-air with prop jockey flying a Army ANG C-130. What a bozo too. Just because his plane is larger doesn't mean he can cut me off on approach.

J.Garrett
    MidContinent Air Services, LLC
    KLEX
    Lexington, KY, USA

Athlon XP 2200
    GF4 Ti4600
    1GB PC3200 DDR
    100/80GB HD's
    30-50fps
    3DMark2001SE=12198

"'O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade that with it thou mayest blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats ....."

C172_Flyer Guest

Almost had a 172 nose over on me in a heavy crosswind landing. On the roll out I had the ailerons all the way into the wind but the wing picked up in a gust and for a couple of seconds I was riding along on one main and the nose gear!!! :-eek :-eek

Yeah, I've done that before. Pretty scary when your up on one wheel like that. It'll get your heart jumpin thats for sure.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast