Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is the normal climb rate for a heavy such as Boeing 737?

Default What is the normal climb rate for a heavy such as Boeing 737?

What is the normal climb rate for a heavy such as Boeing 737? The default value is 1800 feet per minute and that takes a long time to attain cruise attitude of 31,000 feet.

Thanks

Shri

Shri...

The 1800 speed is normal - you can of course increase the speed if you'd like, but you would have to watch out for stalls. Aircraft are set up in such a way so that you don't want to slow down too much while making your climb. Experiment with it a littel bit and see. Also, with ATC, when you reach your height they assign you, they should go back and say to climb again to.... this will give you time to build up more air speed, and then be able to climb again. Try fooling around with the settings to see what works best for you....

Checkout my new Facebook Page!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Airpl...05438883035386
    HP Z820 Workstation Intel Xeon 3.30ghz 8 Core Processor 2TB Hard Drive 16 gig of Ram 1125 Power Supply and 2 Gig Nvidia Geforce GTX 970. (YIPPPIE!!!!!)

Initial climb rates can be in excess of 3000FPM, but they can't sustain that kind of climb above roughly 7000 feet due to air density. As the above poster said, 1800 is about average from around 12000 up to the flight levels. Depending on load, your results may vary

Blog Entries

I'll usually start at about 2000fpm (in the 737). Until around 30000 ft, when the speed starts dropping. To get to cruise of 35,000 or above, I find I have to drop the fpm down to 1000 to prevent stalling..

Lightbulb

Shri:

unless there is a minimum climb rate for noise/obstacle avoidance aircraft climb at a selected airspeed (IAS = indicated airspeed) with the thrust set at a efficient climb setting.

FS default aircraft and simple addons using FS’s autopilot don't simulate this behavior as there is no IAS speed control by pitch (vertical speed = v/s) option with FS's autopilot. addon developers create their own autopilots to give correct real-world behavior.

how you simulate IAS climb is to control speed using the autopilot’s v/s setting ... meaning you must watch what the aircraft is doing at all times.

a simple 737 climb profile is -

set throttle to 98% N1 and takeoff at V2+10 (about 150kts) and hold this till ~1500' above the runway.

At 1500’ pitch down by 1/2 whatever v/s you needed to hold 150kts. (ex., if you were climbing at 3000 v/s pitch down to 1500 v/s) and reduce throttles/thrust to engine N1 at 92%. as the aircraft accelerates retract flaps (all up no later than 200-210kts) and as you approach 250kts increase pitch so you hold 250kts. watch the engine N1 as it may change. adjust throttles as necessary to hold about 92% N1.

as you continue climb adjust pitch to hold 250kts.

at 10000' (USA) pitch down by 1/2 whatever v/s you are at to hold 250kts to accelerate to 300kts. pitch up to hold 300kts. watch the engine N1 as it may change. adjust throttles as necessary to hold about 92% N1.

as you continue to climb adjust pitch as required to hold 300kts. watch the engine N1 as it may change. adjust throttles as necessary to hold about 92%.

when the aircraft reaches M0.74 (somewhere between 25000' and 27000') begin following M0.74 (and allow the indicated knots to fall --- THIS IS NORMAL!).

keep M0.74 for the rest of the climb. adjust pitch as required. watch the engine N1 as it may change. adjust throttles as necessary to hold about 92%.

when you reach cruise altitude (for a 737NG someplace between 35000' and 40000') allow the aircraft to accelerate to M0.78-M0.80 and then hit the speed hold button on the autopilot.

the above is SIMPLIFIED and not 100% real-world.

FYI: 'heavy' jets are (to name a few) DC10s, MD11, 747, A330, A340, 767, 777. 737, A32x, MD80, DC9, 717 (to name a few) are not 'heavy'.

--
    Last edited by wdscobie; 02-15-2008 at 02:23 PM. Reason: 'heavy' detail
    D.Scobie

Quote Originally Posted by wdscobie View Post
    Shri:

unless there is a minimum climb rate for noise/obstacle avoidance aircraft climb at a selected airspeed (IAS = indicated airspeed) with the thrust set at a efficient climb setting. . . . etc. etc.

--
    Wdscobie;

If there was an award for the most careful and helpful participant - you would certainly be one of the top contenders. I love the benefit you are to this forum! I learn everytime you respond.

Thanks!
    AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz oc'd to 4.4, 8 gig 2133 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 970 w/4gig
    OS=Windows 10 64 bit, FSX w/Acceleration & P3d v3.4, REXII, OrbX
    John

Smile

thanks for the kind words John.

your words and how others here act is why i prefer the community in flightsim's forums over avsim's.

i find my name/support is mud 'over there' and feel my time and knowledge at flightsim.com are welcomed. i guess i can say i'm 'famous' as how many folks get singled out to be flamed?

--
    D.Scobie

Quote Originally Posted by wdscobie View Post
    thanks for the kind words John.

your words and how others here act is why i prefer the community in flightsim's forums over avsim's.

i find my name/support is mud 'over there' and feel my time and knowledge at flightsim.com are welcomed. i guess i can say i'm 'famous' as how many folks get singled out to be flamed?

--
    Why's that? I don't recall you over there...

I am the opposite, it's been years since I really did much posting here at flightsim. But I intend for that to change some. If this truly is a nicer place (with no FS9 naysayers coming over to the FSX forum to troll...that would be a big relief) then I will be around here a lot more often than I have.

Back to the thread topic...I have noticed that some heavy flight models like the DC-10 like to climb out at 1400-1500 fpm. Is this normal real-world for those types?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Why's that? I don't recall you over there...
    back 'in the day' (mid-90s) when i first reg with flightsim.com i used my real name. as one becomes a bit older you don't always find that the best choice. when avsim.com came around i reg. as 'scoob'. on all other forums i am 'scoobflight'. (my sig is the same across all FS forums).

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I have noticed that some heavy flight models like the DC-10 like to climb out at 1400-1500 fpm. Is this normal real-world for those types?
    the 10 is not a fast climber. when near MTOW one can expect a slow climb. lots of discussion about this on the old SGA forum (now lost to the ages).

the DC10 cruises at .80/.82, like the 747-1/2. it takes some time to get to cruise altitude and you don't climb straight to FL390 (more like FL300/310). MD made fast wings. the 'tradeoff' was high pitch angles for t/o and landing. you really see this looking at an DC10 & MD11 at rotation and approach.

--
    Last edited by wdscobie; 02-15-2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: added detail
    D.Scobie

Thanks all for the replies and I appreciate them very much.

I am asking true pilots or others who know, in real life and true / real heavies such as Boeing 737 / 747 what is the normal climb rate they hold?

Thanks

Shri

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast