Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Value, Any good?

Default Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Value, Any good?

Hi guys,

So my old system is slowly dying! LOL

The old Creative Labs Sound Blaster 128 Vibra lost the right channel over the weekend - have confirmed that it is the sound card. So I went out and bought a new Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Value sound card. Now, I do remember hearing that there were some issues with Audigy cards and FS, but have not yet been able to find any information on this. Anyone know more about this or have any links?

All the best,

Philip.

I have one of these cards too. The sound will work for a minute and then go all scratchy something awful and then clear itself and then the cycle repeats. It happens in media player too so not an FS thing only. I am considering removing the card and going back to onboard sound. I have an ASUS mobo. Sorry I can't help. This post is really a 'me too' and if you do find a solution I'm very keen to hear it. Not surprisingly creative labs are no help. I've done all the latest drivers and set it to 44.1 and 16 bit etc... to try and go easy on it. I've put a 500W PSU in and have 1Gb of RAM. Now the shop where I buy my parts say it 'could' be the mobo! I have a feeling it wants more than a 2.4 Gb CPU that I have to run it as it plays music ok if I have no other apps open. I got it for FS though and yes frame rates are a bit better.The idea is that the sound card was supposed to reduce CPU load. I still feel it's a good card, some compatability issues maybe? I can't seem to find any answers either.
    Regards,Stephen

Not all Sound Blaster Audigy cards, including the Audigy Value, take the load off the CPU. You need to get a full Audigy 2 card to do this. Same goes for the newer X-Fi series, the lowest end XtremeAudio model does not reduce the CPU load while the XtremeGamer and above do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster_Audigy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster_X-Fi

There could very be issues between the Sound Blaster and the motherboard. One my previous computers wouldn't boot if the Audigy card was in certain slots. So try moving it to a different slot and see if this helps. You shouldn't need a fast CPU to get clean audio out of the card.

Hmm, I wonder if I should rather take this back since I have not even opened the box yet. It wasn't expensive but it did cost money and I don't see the point in installing an inferior soundcard - the other option that I had was from a range of soundcards made by a company called "Trust", yep, never heard of them before and don't know if they are decent.

Any links to reviews that I can read up on the Audigy card?

Philip.

It's been a while since I've looked at reviews of sound cards. Maybe check out Anandtech, Tom's Hardware and HardOCP. The Audigy series is a few years old now, so you probably aren't going to find any reviews of them from the past year or two.

Probably the best card for gaming would be the X-Fi XtremeGamer which is around $80-$100, depending on deals. Online places like Newegg or NCIX usually have the best prices.

I just want to also confirm, this is the model that I bought: Sound Blaster Audigy Value

If it is a problem card I am rather going to return it - don't see the point in accepting a dud design.

Philip.
    Last edited by Philip Foglar; 12-15-2007 at 06:13 AM.

While not really a dud, it certainly isn't the same as the rest of the Audigy line. Generally you would only pick up the Audigy Value if your onboard sound died. On the other hand, if you want to get a decent gaming sound card, look at the X-Fi XtremeGamer.

Default Got one

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Foglar View Post
    Hi guys,

So my old system is slowly dying! LOL

The old Creative Labs Sound Blaster 128 Vibra lost the right channel over the weekend - have confirmed that it is the sound card. So I went out and bought a new Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Value sound card. Now, I do remember hearing that there were some issues with Audigy cards and FS, but have not yet been able to find any information on this. Anyone know more about this or have any links?

All the best,

Philip.
    I have one.I had it my old Sony,and now in my Gateway,took it out of my Sony,I'm using a KMV switch,on board stereo speakers for the Sony.
    I using 5.1 Altec Lansing Model 251 Speakers for the Gateway.
    I love this sound card.Loki is right.The X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card would be better.Noell said the XGamer card take the load off the CPU,but with my new Gateway no problems,did not have any problems when the Value was in the Sony,but it did effect the FPS about 5-7 FPS .I don't have that problem with the Gateway.
    Next year when the price goes down on the XGamer sound card I may get one. Good luck.
    Ron
    CyberPowerPC Desktop Gamer Xtreme Liquid cool GLC3200F Intel i7-4790k 4.0 CPU Z97,NEW-GPU Gigabyte OC GTX1060 6GB ,128GB SSD W10 Home 64-Bit 1TB SATA III- SSD 850 EVO 500GB for FSX only,Force Feedback 2 joystick] Notebook MSI GP62MVR 7RFX i7 7700HQ 2.8/3.8 turbo- 16gb Memory-GPU GTX 1060 6 GB Memory.

Hi Ron,

Okay, so you have the same card as per the link (doesn't have the old type Joystick port) and have had no problems with it with regards to what Stephen mentioned above? Also when you say that it affects your FPS about 5-7 FPS, do you mean, increases or decreases? Are you using supplied drivers or the latest on Creative Labs' site?

Basically I bought this card more out of impulse, and have now decided to do a full system upgrade, so the current PC will get demoted to spare PC and most likely this sound card will remain in it.

The old Sound Blaster 128 Vibra was actually then a fairly good sound card and I had it setup with the 8MB waveset enabled and generally sound quality and performance were good. I gather that onboard sound chips have improved quite a bit over the years so a higher performance sound card is only going to be worth your while if you get one of the more top end ones.

All the best,

Philip.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Foglar View Post
    Hi Ron,

Okay, so you have the same card as per the link (doesn't have the old type Joystick port) and have had no problems with it with regards to what Stephen mentioned above? Also when you say that it affects your FPS about 5-7 FPS, do you mean, increases or decreases? Are you using supplied drivers or the latest on Creative Labs' site?

Basically I bought this card more out of impulse, and have now decided to do a full system upgrade, so the current PC will get demoted to spare PC and most likely this sound card will remain in it.

The old Sound Blaster 128 Vibra was actually then a fairly good sound card and I had it setup with the 8MB waveset enabled and generally sound quality and performance were good. I gather that onboard sound chips have improved quite a bit over the years so a higher performance sound card is only going to be worth your while if you get one of the more top end ones.

All the best,

Philip.
    No old type joystick port,just the female color connections orange,black,green,pink,blue,white.
    FPS decreased
    I'm using the latest Drivers from Creative.
    http://us.creative.com/support/downl...pe=0&x=23&y=12
    It is the same one from your link from Creative Labs.
    Ron
    Last edited by Rcca; 12-16-2007 at 03:47 AM.
    CyberPowerPC Desktop Gamer Xtreme Liquid cool GLC3200F Intel i7-4790k 4.0 CPU Z97,NEW-GPU Gigabyte OC GTX1060 6GB ,128GB SSD W10 Home 64-Bit 1TB SATA III- SSD 850 EVO 500GB for FSX only,Force Feedback 2 joystick] Notebook MSI GP62MVR 7RFX i7 7700HQ 2.8/3.8 turbo- 16gb Memory-GPU GTX 1060 6 GB Memory.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast