Thread: location of files on fsx install disks and/or how to extract cab files

Default location of files on fsx install disks and/or how to extract cab files

There is a list of file locations for the fs9 install disks. is there any such list for fsx...or similarly, how can I expand the several cab files on the two install disks and find what I need. sadly, I deleted a whole series of base scenery files and want to reinstall without reinstalling the entire fsx program. thanks for any help.

Sherm

Default location of files on fsx install disks and/or how to extract cab files

There is a list of file locations for the fs9 install disks. is there any such list for fsx...or similarly, how can I expand the several cab files on the two install disks and find what I need. sadly, I deleted a whole series of base scenery files and want to reinstall without reinstalling the entire fsx program. thanks for any help.

Sherm

Default RE: location of files on fsx install disks and/or how to extract cab files

The Repair function that comes up from the DVD Setup will replace missing elements. The problem is that if you have something special within a replacement it will be gone. I am not clear on what it will replace. I have found that any of the files in the main/root folder that are missing will be found and replaced. If an entire folder is missing it will be found and replaced. However, content within a folder is a mystery. Not sure if Repair goes that deep. If the only data to be retained is in one folder I would copy that folder somewhere and then delete it from its original location. After Repair has restored it copy back to the new folder the needed items from the saved original copy.

####

Default RE: location of files on fsx install disks and/or how to extract cab files

The Repair function that comes up from the DVD Setup will replace missing elements. The problem is that if you have something special within a replacement it will be gone. I am not clear on what it will replace. I have found that any of the files in the main/root folder that are missing will be found and replaced. If an entire folder is missing it will be found and replaced. However, content within a folder is a mystery. Not sure if Repair goes that deep. If the only data to be retained is in one folder I would copy that folder somewhere and then delete it from its original location. After Repair has restored it copy back to the new folder the needed items from the saved original copy.

####

repair did not work...so, I have reinstalled fsx and spi...actually, a clean reinstall does not disturb me since I have a chance to rebuild more selectively with add ons, etc...and maybe squeeze out a few more fps....thanks...

sherm

repair did not work...so, I have reinstalled fsx and spi...actually, a clean reinstall does not disturb me since I have a chance to rebuild more selectively with add ons, etc...and maybe squeeze out a few more fps....thanks...

sherm