Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FSX & Vista 64 Trouble Trouble Trouble...

Default FSX & Vista 64 Trouble Trouble Trouble...

In hopes of being ready for upcoming improvements in Flightsim, I've built a new system with the specs. below. My memory passes all ram test so I know that is not a problem. My graphics card appear to be working properly however, FSX keeps giving my system the Blue Screen after about 3 to 6 mins. of working. I've reinstalled the OS and FSX w/SP1 and all updates for OS. I've even modified FSX.exe header for >32gb. I log on as Administrator and install as Administrator but I always get the Blue Screen after a while. Should I log on as a user or Administrator for FSX & addons installs? I'm sure someone should have Vista 64 and FSX running OK. My CPU and OS is configured to not go into any kind of idle time. I've become frustrated. Any suggestions other than going back to XP?

Thanks,
    Wilbert

Abit AW9D-Max
    Thermaltake W0106 700W PSU
    Intel QX6700 Quadcore
    Vista Ultimate 64
    4x1G Ballistix Tracer (PC2 8500)
    2x150GB SATA WD Raptor - Non Raid
    2x320GB SATA WD SE16 - Non Raid
    2x IDE Light-On DVDRW 165H65
    BFG 8800GTX OC2 768MB 626MHz Core Clock
    3x SILENX 120X25MM FANS + 2x 10in XCLIO Wind Tunnel Case Fans
    Danger Den Water Cooling
    Enermax temp/fan controller

Default RE: FSX & Vista 64 Trouble Trouble Trouble...

Hey Wilbert,

What details are on the blue screen? Your specs are certainly good enough to run FSX so the problem is likely going to be a driver problem, a hardware fault or perhaps a problem running FSX with Vista64.

Anyway, can you write down the details of the blue screen, as there's likely to be a clue in there...

Cheers,
    Vike

What are your video card temps? You can check through the nVIdia Control Panel.

loki

Hi Wilbert,

My FSX-SP1 runs excellent with Vista Ultimate 64bit. Your blue screens are not related to FSX.

It appears to be a thermal problem. Check the stability of your PC with Prime95 for Win2000/XP/Vista. Only if it runs a couple of hours without error, you should continue with FSX.

Have you flashed the latest BIOS for your motherboard?
    Best regards from Relax

Real trip to 17 countries including Australia and Iran: www.happy-art.ch
    FSX-Guide: www.happy-art.ch/happy-art/FSX-Guide.html

Thanks for responding. I do logon to Vista automatically as administrator and I have configured my BIOS not to throttle down the CPU and have configured OS not slow down CPU processing in any case. The only addons I've tried has been Citation X from Wilco, xClass USA (cloud9), and UTX w/update from FlightOne. I long ago gave up on Citation X - and I reformatted both drives, "C" and "D"-(where I install FSX), and reinstalled Vista, and FSX. FSX will run without problems if none of the sceneries addons are installed however whenever I install either one - FSX doesn't only crash to desktop - it crashes Vista. I thought this was suppose to be one of the things that Vista would not do. The problem might be a video thing (getting too hot) - I have 2, 10in. case fans blowing across video card. I've run 3dMark, and Lost Planet demo with no problem. I'm trying everything I can to avoid going back to XP with FS9 & FSX. I had them with all addons working supurb. Eventually, I hope to find the problem.

Wilbert

I don't know what speed you are running the quad at, but the first thing I would do is run the CPU and the GPU and stock speeds and see if FSX will run without crashing with no overclock. Oh yea, be sure to relax your memory timing too.

Ron

Is there anything recorded in the Vista event logs after the crash?

I'm not OC'ing - running MB CPU @ stock 2.66. Forceware 162.22 64bit Whql nvidia drivers. There is no option in the Nvidia Control panel to indicate GPU temp however I did download and install Nvidia Monitor and the results in it can't be right because it indicates GPU1 temp @ 73 to 74 C. at idle, GPU core @ 621.000Mhz (which is right) and GPU memory @ 999.000MHz. MB ram timings are loose @ 5,5,5,15.
    Is there some software that can check the proper operation of this video card? It could be malfunctioning and I wouldn't know. As I mentioned before FSX appears to run normal until I install one of the two sceneries (xClass USA) from Cloud9 or Ultimate Terrain X from Flight1. If either of these are installed, FSX will run only for a limited time even if I only have the 2d cockpit panel in view. After about 3 to 5 minutes, I get the blue screen with information that only a microsoft tech could understand. It just freezes after the display and I have to hit "reset".

Wilbert

The clues are in the blue screen and the event log....

Perhaps you are falling prey to the OOM (out of memory) error in FSX. Given high enough settings and graphically intensive aircraft and scenery, it can happen pretty quick. Although it usually takes about 10 minutes to happen on my rig when flying the level D 767.

Q6600 Kentsfield @3.0Ghz
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 Motherboard
    2GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 Memory
    EVGA Geforce 8800GTX 768MB Graphics
    500GB Raid 1
    320GB Raid 1
    CoolMax 700 watt power supply
    Vista Ultimate 32bit
    Antec 900 MidTower

Ron

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast