Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Starting the Maule

Default Starting the Maule

Ok, so what am I missing here? I cannot get the Maule started manually. If I do a Ctrl-E, it starts fine, and from the look of the switches and sequence I have it right. (Its a gas engine, not rocket science! ;) )

Anybody else have this issue?

JerryT

Default RE: Starting the Maule

Well I fly a piper warrior in real life..

So, battery/alternator on

Mixture rich fuel pump on

Prop high rpms

Magnetos both/start

ignition...

Thats what i would do

Lean the mixture after starting engine

|Win7 x64 | Gigabyte P67A UD4 B3 | Intel i5 2500k @ 4.2GHz | eVGA GTX570 1280MB | 2x4 GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance | 1TB Samsung Spinpoint | 120GB Mushin Callisto SSD | 36GB Raptor | 250GB Seagate | Seasonic X750w | Corsair 650D|

Check on all points. I also have flown the warrior and Cessnas, which is why this is a stumper, lol.

Something I have noticed on the Maule is the Fuel selector in the virtual cockpit is not in sync with the 2d (shift+#) rendition. This could be your problem.

I am at work right now so I cannot verify this, but if I remember correctly, when the VC fuel selector shows both, it is actually off.

I cannot remember which shift+# key it is that brings up the fuel selector, but using it for fuel selection is correct. Setting it in VC is not the correct setting.

Jay

Jerry: I have had the same problem since day ONE. On VERY Rare occasions it will start with the key. I gave up and just start it with Ctrl-E as you do.

I will have to check that Fuel Selecter Switch (VC)as noted above. It wouldnt be the first switch that's Mis-labeled in that plane.

Also, the light switches are labeled wrong as well. To turn ON the Nav Lights and strobes, click ON the Landing Light switch. Of course you get the landing lights ON as a bonus.

The Maule is still my favorite plane in FSX ...even though I have Serious Sound problems that still aren't going away. I'm flying FSX less and less. SPOFF

>Jerry: I have had the same problem since day ONE. On VERY
    >Rare occasions it will start with the key. I gave up and just
    >start it with Ctrl-E as you do.
    >
    >I will have to check that Fuel Selecter Switch (VC)as noted
    >above. It wouldnt be the first switch that's Mis-labeled in
    >that plane.
    >
    >Also, the light switches are labeled wrong as well. To turn ON
    >the Nav Lights and strobes, click ON the Landing Light switch.
    >Of course you get the landing lights ON as a bonus.
    >
    >The Maule is still my favorite plane in FSX ...even though I
    >have Serious Sound problems that still aren't going away. I'm
    >flying FSX less and less. SPOFF

Yeah, I'll check the fuel selector too. I noticed the light thing is the same way on the Goose. Only the beacon works, you need to turn on the landing light to get the rest.

Off Topic --
    One other little thing to note about the Maule.

According to the placard in the VC, this aircraft is not approved for 'spines'.

According to the Maule Web Site, I don't think the Maule is approved for spins either. Check out http://www.mauleairinc.com/ It's a pretty neat airplane. Click the "Explore Our Site Here" box in the upper left corner.

In spite of the problems I have with the Maule in FSX, (sound) the impression I get from the FSX rendition of this plane would lead me directly to my local Maule dealer to buy one. I am a private pilot and the "immersion factor" is impressive. SPOFF

9. Default

Here we are, nearly 10 years later... but I've found an answer.
    I'm posting it here because this is where I wound up in my search for the same answer.

It seems that you need to hold the starter on for a bit.
    I turn the starter with my mouse wheel, so I keep wheeling down for a few seconds. If I do it and stop (as you normally would), the prop spins, but it doesn't kick.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jimrooney View Post
    Here we are, nearly 10 years later... but I've found an answer.
    I'm posting it here because this is where I wound up in my search for the same answer.

It seems that you need to hold the starter on for a bit.
    I turn the starter with my mouse wheel, so I keep wheeling down for a few seconds. If I do it and stop (as you normally would), the prop spins, but it doesn't kick.
    The Maule is a good FSX default plane, with a fairly decent flight model. That's good to know about the starter. Thanks. I'm working on the problems with the sound and lights - I'll get back to you with my results in 2025.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast