Thread: What is the Difference Between FSX 38 m mesh and FS9 38 m mesh

Default What is the Difference Between FSX 38 m mesh and FS9 38 m mesh

There has been a wave of "new" 76m and 38m mesh supposedly for FSX hitting the websites including this one.

I already have a gigs of mesh, as high as I can get it for my FS2004, right down to 9.6m in a couple of instances.

Isn't the mesh for FS9 totally compatible and useable for adding to the scenery library of FSX without loading another set that is specifically named as FSX mesh?

I realize there is a new grid system and all but I don't thing it matters much except maybe along the boundarys of the mesh, maybe some transition issues?

Default RE: What is the Difference Between FSX 38 m mesh and FS9 38 m mesh

>There has been a wave of "new" 76m and 38m mesh supposedly
    >for FSX hitting the websites including this one.
    >
    >I already have a gigs of mesh, as high as I can get it for my
    >FS2004, right down to 9.6m in a couple of instances.
    >
    >Isn't the mesh for FS9 totally compatible and useable for
    >adding to the scenery library of FSX without loading another
    >set that is specifically named as FSX mesh?
    >
    >I realize there is a new grid system and all but I don't thing
    >it matters much except maybe along the boundarys of the mesh,
    >maybe some transition issues?
    >

It's my understanding that the FSX mesh if different.
    Join the forum at FSGenesis, they know a lot.

I actually am member of that forum just havent visited it lately. And I bought the FSX mesh that Justin has compiled.

I'll check it out.

FSX mesh does have a different format which I understand has to do with how the data is compressed to reduce the size of the file.

Personally I think that with the present crop of computers, the stock FSX North America mesh is excellent. On high settings the fps starts slowing down a lot particularly in mountains. The only benefit I've seen to the higher resolution mesh is that the roads and rivers tend to run across the terrain at a more realistic elevation (fewer rivers running along the side of a mountain.)

Personally, I notice a far greater difference between, say, 76m and 38m than between 19m and 10m. There is definitely a law of diminishing returns as the resolution doubles and the file size quadruples.

Also, FSX mesh resolution is not the same in all parts of the world. Africa, I believe, only has 500m mesh and it shows. Mt. Kenya does not look real at the peak at all. In real life (climbed it twice) it has spectacular vertical faces and numerous rocky peaks. In FSX it is a big round hill.

This then is suggesting to me that for certin parts of the planet, ie Africa, it might be best to plan out a strategy for adding mesh requirements.

I still have lots of questions though.

So I would think that setting the mesh slider to higher mesh values is actually not doing anything beyond 38m mesh in most cases because mesh of that standard doesn't yet exist and isn't part of the scenery base of FSX. So is it or isn't it?

I have mine at 38m which is LOD 10 and I get good resolution on terrain. My definative test is Mt Rainier area as I know every hill personally. In that area the mesh is good but the texture selection is very poor. Looks like I will have to make a new Mt Rainier again.

Looks like I am going to have to bite the bullet and start reading those SDK's, Scenery SDK is over 100 pages, oh joy.