Thread: Archer Landing Question

Default Archer Landing Question

To the DF Staff,

Congratulations and thanks on the release of the Archer III. I am an avid fan of your Archer II – which I still happily fly - and have looked forward to this package since its announcement. Now that I can call myself an owner/operator, I see it’s quite a different bird...gonna be a few late nights and lunch breaks with just me and the PIM/OM :).

I’ve about 130 hours in real-world Warriors, Cherokees and Skyhawks. On landing, I do as I was taught and that was (after flaring and definitely in the stall range) to pull the yoke back to the stops to bleed-off as much as the remaining lift as possible. I’ve seen this done in the Skyhawk to the point where one is ‘wheelie-ing’ down the runway. When I’m in the sim and do this in the DF Archers, I get a nasty and startling tail-strike. I say startling because after finding this in the Archer II, I wasn’t expecting it in the Archer III. I’ve not found this behavior in other sim aircraft. So I’m curious...is this ability to generate enough post-flare, stall-range nose-high attitude a flight model bug? I haven't had this happen in the real-world (thankfully), even in the Skyhawk. Have any of you real-world fuel-burners experienced this? And lastly, is this correctable?

Or is it me and my sloppy landing technique? :)

Still, the Archer III is a sweet, stable ride and a great step-up from the Archer II. Thanks again, peoples.

Default RE: Archer Landing Question

Quentin,

There is nothing wrong with using aerodynamic braking, but I question your "pulling the yoke back to the stop"...The correct technique is to hold the yoke sufficiently far back to maintain a certain attitude. As the speed falls off then the yoke will need to be eased further and further back to maintain that attitude. When it touches the stop it is time to push it forward to start the nosewheel back down towards the runway and then just as it is about to touch, a further smart movement back to "Cushion it on smoothly". There should be no question of striking the tail as you would not reach the more extreme attitude required for this.

However, I have to say that I don't think many flying clubs approve of aerodynamic braking, even if it does save a lot of money on brake disc replacements. They have probably found from experience that one tail strike nullifies that expense saving :)

Agreed, Peter. :)

Regards,
    [link:www.dreamfleet2000.com|http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx2/f...nners/LOU.gif]
    [font size=1][font color=blue]Can you pilot a plane, instead of programming an FMC to do it for you?[/font color= blue][/font size=1]

Fair enough. I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the counsel, guys.

As the owner of N9277Q, It took awhile to get used to the taper wing after flying a Cherokee 140 for 16 yrs. On landing in the real plane I notice that I must hold pitch when the main wheels touch for a relatively short time and ease the nosewheel onto the runway by slowly releasing back-pressure on the yoke. If you maintain pitch for too long, the elevator literally "stalls" and the nosewheel thumps down. There is an extension on the taper wing planes which lengthens the width of the elevator as compared to the "hershey bar" wing airplanes. Still, you do run out of elevator authority as the plane decelerates upon landing and it is best to control the descent of the nosewheel onto the runway. I was forced to learn this flying both large and small T-tail aircraft. In the simulation, I haven't noticed this characteristic though aerodynamic braking perhaps has little effect on landing roll in any event. In FS-9, brakes seem to be the best way to shorten the landing roll.
    Perhaps Lou has some thoughts on this as he flies with the same wing.