Thread: Active Runway Not Aligned with Prevailing Wind

Default Active Runway Not Aligned with Prevailing Wind

Hi, all. This has been bothering me for awhile, but has reached critical mass enough for me to seek community aid.
    Often times, I'll load a saved flight and FS appears to have locked the active runway to whichever one is normally prefered in a no-wind/IFR situation (mostly an ILS equipped runway). When weather is loaded (either FS or AS2004) that includes wind that is not aligned with said runway, nothing changes. I've tried to force it with a 45 kt wind coming from both 90 and 180 degrees - no dice.
    Anyone else experiencing this? Any known fixes?

This happens with FS 9.1 (CD and No-CD) with and w/o ActiveSky 2004.5 Build 147.

doncarlos Guest

Default RE: Active Runway Not Aligned with Prevailing Wind

My experience is that when you load a flight with pre existing or clear weather then download real weather you have to save and re load the flight as ATC does not update the active or ils just because you change the weather...get's real frustrating after you have made a new flight plan and the phone rings aka get a beer and then I update the weather again and darn the wind changed back to flight planning again....just like the real thing in that respect..except for the beer. Also, the "ac tive rw" is not always the ILS or runway in use by FS all the time. Often if you use "go to airport" and select active rw let's say it puts you at rw 12 whereas if you check the ATS it will tell you currently landing and to r9 which is correct based on the winds in the weather downlaod...the old pilot in charge vs computer in charge

Hey Don Carlos, thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, the active runway was still locked after repeated saves and restarts. However, I DID get something to work, and that was by advancing the situation's time several hours.
    Specifically, I advanced the sim time according to how the TAF report broke down (From 1900, Becoming 2300, Temporary 0002, etc). The first interval yielded no movement, but on the second or third TAF interval (it was late and I was sleepy), the active was finally switched to be more aligned with the wind. I'll try tonight to see if I can duplicate it and see why it worked that way.

If you have a problem with atc using the wrong runway, try turning AI traffic of and then on again, this sort of refreshes the ATC. It doesn't work on every airport though.

Cheers
    Peter

ATC decide which runway to use when the first AI call for any sort of clearance is made. The wind is one of the things considered when making that decision.

If you subsequently load real weather then it is too late for the real wind to be considered. However, if you save the flight and leave FS9 and then restart at that saved flight, the real wind will be considered when ATC allocate the runway in use.

There may have been a slight change in this resistance to runway change with change of weather in FS9.1...However, the exact details I have not yet discovered :-)

Thanks for the input, fellas.
    Turns out that I assumed that because it ddidn't say it wouldn't be problematic loading from a saved flight, that it wouldn't be a problem. Well, when I build a flight fresh it works straightaway, so I guess that's the solution.
    Sigh.
    Bit in the ##### by not fully R'ingTFM...