Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: A340: EXTREMELY IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Default A340: EXTREMELY IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

[font color=red]The following is intended solely for publication at this forum and the DreamFleet web site. It shall not be reproduced in whole or in part at any other web site or discussion forum.[/font color=red]

Hello all,

Some of you may have had your suspicions about this, but it was not finally decided until just last week, after discussions within DreamFleet and with our publishers, Flight One Software.

It should be understood that when DreamFleet announces work on a project that this is not a "promise" or "guarantee" that the product will be completed or released. Any product we embark on developing may be changed as to specification, or canceled if we deem necessary. The latter happens from time to time in the software business and also with other manufacturers.

Let's get the painful news out of the way first.

The A340 project has been canceled, and we will not be doing this or any other Airbus in the immediate future.

Why did we cancel it?

First, let me stress that DreamFleet is an international organization, with more members living outside of the USA than within. The cancellation had NOTHING to do with patriotism, or any pro-USA / anti-European attitude, this had NOTHING to do with it. DO NOT EVEN SUGGEST IT.

1. The fact is that there is already one, and soon more commercial Airbus products being released. I believe that without ours there will still be 4 such products to choose from. The FS market can only handle so many Airbuses, regardless of what model they are.

We appreciate the fact that some of you would have shunned these other Airbus products, and waited for ours. Sadly, this would not have been enough.

2. Customer expectations and demands for reality / complexity in products such as the Airbus have reached the point that the A340 was becoming a product that would consume the time of several DreamFleet members for well over a year, leaving them no time available to assist on other products, and we do want to release several (read that as 5 or more) products a year, not just one or two.

3. In reference to item 1 above, if we put this massive, time-consuming and also money-consuming effort into the A340, these other Airbus products would still dilute the sales of our A340 (the FS commercial add-on market is not very large), and our financial return on the time we invested would be inadequate, and the potential for us and Flight 1 Software losing money on the A340 product would be great; almost a certainty. DreamFleet, Flight One, and their respective staff are not in a position to lose money. We simply cannot afford this.

In addition, it would be unfair to those of you who desire other products from us (GA, other types of airliners, etc,) if the majority of our time was taken up on one product.

Rest assured that we had put much time into the A340, especially Nick Jacobs, who must now write off hundreds of hours of programming. Myself, who must write off a trip to Europe to photograph the A340 and the time spent to do the graphics, and Fraser Turner, who was working on the A340 aircraft model.

We are retaining all of the materials we created for the A340, so the possibility exists that it may be revisited in a future version of FS.

This was not an easy decision to make, in fact it was a very painful one. As a business, we had to face facts, and make a decision that we felt benefited both DF and our customer base the best. There is simply not room for all of these Airbus products, so we decided to bow out. We did not want to let our egos or pride get in the way of common business sense.

Please do not ask us to reconsider, this is not possible. Please do not ask us to turn over the project to someone else, this is also not possible.

Please do not e-mail me, other DF members, or Flight 1 Software concerning this decision.

We are truly sorry and apologize for the need to make this decision, but we looked at the facts, and had to look out for the well being of both ourselves as individuals, DreamFleet and Flight 1 Software as organizations, and for our customers.

We hope you can understand.

Finally, and on a much brighter note, the fact that Airbus is not in DF's immediate future does not mean that we have given up on airliners, glass cockpits, or anything of the kind! Do not think we are going strictly GA, as we are not. Paul Golding is still working on the 727, and that is where Nick Jacobs will be devoting some of his programming efforts. In addition, we have some other ideas in the works when it comes to large airliners, and the 737 still remains in our plans. I am sure that news will please most, if not all of you.:-)

Thank you for your understanding and continued support.

I will leave this thread unlocked, but strongly caution you concerning the nature of any responses you may wish to post.

Regards,

[link:www.dreamfleet2000.com|http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/im...FORUM_LOU.jpg]
    Regards,
    Lou Betti

2. Default RE: A340: EXTREMELY IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

This is certainly a disappointing announcement, but I cannot fault Dreamfleet or Flight1 for making this decision for the reasons stated.

Lee Hetherington (KBOS)

3. Default RE: A340: EXTREMELY IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Understand the decision Lou, were with ya 110% Dreamfleet!

[link:fsgateway.com|http://www.fsgateway.com/images/frank.jpg]

Default RE: A340: EXTREMELY IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Hi Lou,

Thanks for being clear about it. Although sad for those who were looking forward to the A340, for you guys it's business. The trade-off you guys made is reasonable and fair. I agree their are many Airbus products available at this moment and you have to aim for that spot in the market where demand is high and where Dreamfleet can make the difference.

But, as you already mentioned, please don't give up on the big irons and glass cockpits in general. I love the 737 and look forward to what's coming up from you guys in the near future :-).

Ronald

JRavain Guest

Sad indeed. I am not much of an Airbus man myself but I knew the quality of Dreamfleet would convert those feelings :). So what's next besided the B727 (please do not say the 707). There is only one 747 out there right now and that's an upgrade from FS2000 (hint hint).

Jason

6. Default RE: A340: EXTREMELY IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Well, I am bitterly dissapointed. I guess I will only be getting the C-310 now.

Yours sadly
    Paul

BTW - I too would not like to see a 707.

jdyoung Guest

Lou,

I applaud your honesty and business integrity sir! I can imagine that was a difficult decision to arrive at and would venture that it was equally as difficult to announce. The team produces outstanding work. I'm certain that all future products, regardless of GA or airliners, will subsequently raise the bar and will be well worth the purchase!

All the best,
    John

Lou, as one of those holding off on buying another Airbus because of Dreamfleet's reputation I am a bit sad, but I understand your reasons and think you made the right decision.
    Joe Apostolidis
    Supporter of FS, quality add-ons, and real aviation
    I Fly all planes eVerywhere, Very Fun Recreation

I have to say first that I am saddened by this news. However, I cannot convey with enough emphasis my respect for your decision to let your customers know what was going on behind the scenes. Your forthright explaination was very professional and quite refreshing.

Keep up the great work guys. You truly are a class act!

-----
    Ken G:-wave

McFeather Guest

"Your forthright explaination was very professional and quite refreshing.
    Keep up the great work guys. You truly are a class act!"

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE!!

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast