ALL PRODUCTS: Realism Settings and Control Sensitivity

We sometimes do get questions on the right FS settings for realism and on the sensitivities of controls that are recommended for our planes. I would like to share what I use while developing the Bonanza and Baron and will continue to use for the ones to come.

A) Realism settings:

General full right

P-factor middle

Torque middle

Gyro middle

Crash tolerance full right

I have chosen the middle on P-factor, Torque and Gyro to leave adjustment possibilities for personal taste and design the flight dynamics with these settings to be as close as I can get them to the information received from our supporting aircraft owners.

B) Sensitivities settings:

This is very hardware dependant and can be further influenced by the proper calibration of your input devices. I use CH yoke and pedals which versus conventional joysticks have a wider actuation range and therefore allow softer control inputs.

To understand what FS does when changing the Sensitivity slider position and the zero zones, you can either watch your plane from the outside and zoom close to the control surfaces, secondly press “y” to switch to yaw mode or watch the data in a registered FSUIPC (which allows you to do more corrections if your calibration does not deliver the proper results.

Step one is to properly calibrate your input device in windows. Having done set the sensitivity slider to the maximum and the zero sliders to the minimum, so that the controls do not show movements, the plane does not move around or you get 0 values in FSUIPC.

Step two is to adjust the sensitivity slider. What FS does is to time delay your control inputs when set to lower than maximum values. Starting from maximum slider position, you can see that by observing the plane or the values the following:

If you move your axis fast to the max, you will see the control surface move synchronized or the values going right to the max which should be 16384.

If you set the slider lower, you will see that the control surface movement or the values will increase with a time delay, thus softening short term inputs into the controls and therefore in the reaction of the plane. At minimum slider position it will take a couple of seconds until the maximum deflection is achieved.

Now, as we expect our planes in good shape, the recommendation is clear: Minimize your zero zones on all axis and max out sensitivities, unless you have a lot of noise in your device which causes trouble. In case of that, a soft increase of zero zone can help for the mid position and a soft reduction in sensitivity can help in the deflected positions.

Best regards and enjoy flying DreamFleet planes!

Alexander Metzger

DreamFleet Flight Dynamics Engineer

Regards,

Lou Betti

http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/forum_banners/DF_BANNER_FORUM_LOU.jpg