Thread: Scenegenx..aprons, putting grass on top of asphalt? or anything on top of anything.

Default Scenegenx..aprons, putting grass on top of asphalt? or anything on top of anything.

I use the apron feature to create first a big block of grass, then i use it again but use the texture of asphalt and do my parking lot of top of the grass. Without changing anything the asphalt comes out on top of the grass which i want. But i have to add a small chunk of grass on top of the pavement, which is already above grass. In another scenery i tried adding a small block of cement over asphalt. Now i have messed with the display layer that is selectable when i edit the apron, but it seems to do nothing at all. I just dont seem to have control of what piece of apron i want to show up on top of another. Am i missing something?
    Brent

2. Default RE: Scenegenx..aprons, putting grass on top of asphalt? or anything on top of anything.

I could be wrong, but I believe the display layer in SGX is an internal SGX feature to help you work with complex sceneries by turning on and off different layers, but it is not used at compilation time.

A couple of things you could try. I'm just working off the top of my head and haven't tested this, but try adding a hole in your pavement by dragging a point from the outside edge into the middle where the grass is. Now add points to each line on either side of this point. Drag these points so that the form the edge of your hole so that the last two points meet together opposite of where the first point you dragged is. Now drag the other endpoints of these two lines so they meet along the outside edge of the pavement.

________________ ________________
    | | | |
    | | | |
    | ___| |___ |
    | | | |
    | | | |
    | |_________| |
    | |
    |_______________________________|

Sort of like the picture above, but make the two edges that go from the inside hole to the outside edge overlap each other so you won't see a line on the pavement. Hopefully the underneath surface will show through, or you can place another poly in the hole that won't be overwritten.

Or, as a separate experiment, try putting the different apron pieces in different files, and then change the filenames to control the order in which they are drawn. I'm thinking that a file 1_apron.bgl will be drawn on top of 0_apron.bgl, or the other way around, or, it may not work at all.

Try it, see if it works.

Thomas