Thread: flattening terrain

Default flattening terrain

I am building my first airpost in Alaska, and I want it to be a resort/airport with roads for driving cars and boat docks and shipyards and cabins with personalized name signs at the parking sopts, but the problem is 1)I'm a beginner and never designed an airport or scenery, and 2) Alaska is very hilly.

First question, is there a good program (preferabally freeware, but payware will work also) that will flatten about a 30 X 30 mile peice of landand make the edges slope into the water? (the airport will have boat docks, by the ocean)

Secondly, What are the best scenery and airport editors to use? The problem with the scenery editors I've tried is they don't have good tutorials, and the land I want to place is at the edge of an ocean. They don't show the land, so it's hard to tell where the land ends and the ocean begins in the editor.

And finally, 3rdly, could someone dedicate some time to walk me through and help me learn how to use suggested programs, or provide me with a link to good in-depth tutorals for complete beginners?

My email is [email protected]. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Default RE: flattening terrain

Hi,

I think that SGX will do much of what you want, and Ground2K4 and FSFlatten will do the rest. Use FSFlatten to make your flat area, Ground2K4 to give it the proper textures, and SGX to place default buildings and GMAX objects onto your new area.

There is a tutorial for Ground2K (the previous version) at avsim (Ground2K for Beginners) and FSFlatten has some reasonably good instructions. For SGX it's a bit of hit or miss - there are two good tutorials in the help file though.

And I use AFCAD2 for the runways, taxiways, aprons, taxiway lights, etc. It has the best manual out there.

As for dedicating the time, just ask your questions here and we'll try to help as best we can. We are usually just as busy as anyone else...

Hope this helps,

Where can I download SGX? and I tried FS Flatten for an area about 50 miles X50 miles, and it did not flatten it. I used area16N, built the bld file, and placed it in asson Scenery/scenery, but it was still hilly.

Hi,

You can download SGX from right here - the Airport for Windows web site. You might have to create more than one flatten area if you want to flatten such a large area. I would doubt that Alaska would have that large a flat area anyway! Just flatten the area around the airport, and leave the rest alone. You can place objects onto hilly terrain if you want to.

Hope this helps,

how big of an area is usually the max to flatten at one time?