Thread: Them bloomin popups man.

Default Them bloomin popups man.

It's getting rediculous now. I guess they have trained themselves to get past my Google popup stopper as I get one on almost every page I visit now.

What software is everyone running to stop em. I know there is plenty of free software out there but some is good some is bad. Can someone give me any feedback on a good one that I can install.

I just moved around a couple of sites and 5 popup windows are there in the back ground. Sure glad that I am not still on dial up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Best
    Geoff ([email protected])

Blog Entries

Default RE: Them bloomin popups man.

I've got to ask, what pop-ups? From what site?

Darrell

Hi Darrell,
    Haven't worked it out yet, I just know that they are becoming a right pain. My google toolbar has now stopped 500, so it is working to some extent but more and more are getting through it now.

Every time I open IE I get a pop up. then as I am browsing away they just pile up behind the active window and when I eventually shut down the window I see them behind and have to shut all of them down also. It's not uncommon to have 20 popups behind the active window.

Will try and make a note of what they are and what sites they pop up from. I wouldn't like to just hazard a guess.

EDIT>
    Just got one going from here to another thread. It is from Brittania, asking me do I wanna buy CD's. At least that's all it's asking. Others have been known to embarass me...................lol

Best
    Geoff ([email protected])

It kind of sounds like some spyware...

...but in any case, since I use Mozilla's popup blocker, I don't have the problem.

Have you tried something like AdAware, or Spybot, Geoff?

https://www.flightsim.com/images/noimage.png

always accept products from "Spyware technologies" you ALWAYS click no. Unless you are intentionally waiting for one to pop up and install something, or it says "Microsoft" always click NO.

That is the only advice I an offer you

One more thing - Download Spy Bot SEARCH&DESTROY. It works amazing, got rid of all the spy ##### on my computer :)

:-waveCheers!:-wave
    [font color="blue" size="2" face="arial"]
    'The A310 Rocks!'
    [font color="red" size="4" face="comic sans MS"] Dustin Garbin
    [font color="royal" size="3" face="courrier"] Proud Pilot of:
    [font color="Black" size="5" face="verdana"]Cargo[font color="red" size="5" face="verdana"]Direct [font color="red" size="3" face="verdana"]
    -My Virtual Pics-
    http://virtual.planepictures.net/search.cgi?garbin

Get yourself a copy of PestPatrol. It's great for scanning your system for unwanted applications.

Hi Geoff,
    On top of the various spyware scanners I use (spyware blaster, ad-aware) and trojan scanners (a squared), I usse a small program called "Pop-Up Stopper". Just do a google search on that name and you'll find it. They have a free version that works great. I never get pop-ups at all.
    I do agree that people are getting smarter. Theres a new type of ad that's not really a pop up, but more like a graphic that runs over the existing page with sound. Most of them have a small "close" or "x" on them somewhere, but you have to look closely. Very annoying. www.tvguide.com is a good example of that.
    Anyway, hope that helps some. Give that little program a try and see how you like it.
    I turned my google toolbar popup blocker off.
    Chris

Hehe, I have MSN pop-up blocker, and Google pop-up blocker. They both fight for 'who gets to block what'

My Google one stops nearly everything (including the Tv Guide one) and my msn one stops anything that gets passed google. i think you should get them both ;)

:-waveCheers!:-wave
    [font color="blue" size="2" face="arial"]
    'The A310 Rocks!'
    [font color="red" size="4" face="comic sans MS"] Dustin Garbin
    [font color="royal" size="3" face="courrier"] Proud Pilot of:
    [font color="Black" size="5" face="verdana"]Cargo[font color="red" size="5" face="verdana"]Direct [font color="red" size="3" face="verdana"]
    -My Virtual Pics-
    http://virtual.planepictures.net/search.cgi?garbin