Thread: Off-Topic: When I Download, It Automatically Saves to a Temp. Folder (No Choice)

Default Off-Topic: When I Download, It Automatically Saves to a Temp. Folder (No Choice)

I don't recall when this started to happen, but I noticed recently that when I downloaded things, the dialogue box asking where the file should be saved does not appear. The download starts automatically, and the file is automatically saved to a temporary folder then unzipped by WinZip. Thus, I (apparently) do not have the original zip file, only its unzipped contents. (Previously, I had saved the .zip or .exe to my own folder for those d/l's, usually separated by sim, then unzipped them to another folder for future installation.)

How could I fix this? Is it IE or WinZip related? I guess it really doesn't matter, but I just like to have more control over what my computer is doing.

Thanks
    Ray

firstdivision2 Guest

Default RE: Off-Topic: When I Download, It Automatically Saves to a Temp. Folder (No Choice)

Hi,

I think I've got it. Well I know why it's happening anyway, I'm not so sure how to reverse the problem. I took a screen shot of the screen that comes up on my system (below) when I try to download. I think you've somehow unchecked that check box where it says "Always ask before opening a file of this type."

As far as undoing this, I don't have an answer. The first place I'd look is in the IE Tools...Internet Options menu.

The second place I'd look is in the registry. I'm sure that's where that information is stored. If you don't know what that is then forget I even said it :)

Here's the screen shot...

https://www.flightsim.com/images/noimage.png

Good luck,
    FD

Blog Entries

Default RE: Off-Topic: When I Download, It Automatically Saves to a Temp. Folder (No Choice)

It's IE related if you are using IE6. And here is the fix!

Open up Windows Explorer, click-->Tools-->Folder Options-->File Types tab. Scroll down to any thing that says WinZip file under "File Types". Highlight that and then click the "Advanced" button. When the next window opens, place a check mark in the box that says "Confirm open after download". OK your way back to the desktop, and it should no be fixed.
    Darrell

http://home.attbi.com/~dkrobson1/b24_ground_md_wht.gif
    [link:flightsimmers.net/airport/dkrobson1/|Darrell's Page of Plane Things]

FD, I had the same idea, though couldn't find anything on the IE end. I'm not computer-savvy enough to begin tinkering in the registry, either. Thanks anyway.

Thanks Darrell, that did the trick. By the way, I have IE5, though the same basic procedure still worked (Folder Options was under View in Windows Explorer, and I didn't have an Advanced button, but found what I needed nonetheless).

Blog Entries

Glad you got it! I searched news groups and forums for a long time before I found the answer when I had that problem some months ago.
    It really is annoying.
    Darrell

ACK!! I had this problem, but I think it just made it worse... actually I didn't totally have the same program, since I don't have winzip, but I just used the default WinXP compressed file viewer... I unchecked that box by accident once and since then the file sits there and downloads in the active IE window, and finally just opens it up in the zip viewer thing. then I had to save the file to my HD (I guess it just downloaded it to the cache or something, then I had to move it to a folder to keep it). Now I went to the advanced properties, it had two options; find, and open. So I just deleted open, now I can't see zip files at all!!! ACK!! I go back to the file types list, and zip isn't even there. I tried to add it, but now if I try to add zip, it says "zip extension already is assigned to 'Compressed file' do you want to remove this association?" or something to that effect, but zip is not in the list of file types at all.... Any idea's???

Blog Entries

I've not got a clue, as my experience with XP is almost nil! I did help my niece get her XP system up and running, but had no time to play around with it. Hopefully some XP users will jump in here with some ideas.
    Darrell

That's Ok, thanks anyways Darrell. I wonder, do you think if I installed winzip, and then chose to associate all zip files with winzip, that might bring it up on the list again? It's worth a try I suppose... I think I'll give it a shot...

Jason

Blog Entries

Sounds like a plan!
    Darrell

Ah HA! It worked... and then I continued where I left off (before I messed it all up) and now if I click to download a zip file, it asks if I what I want to do with it, just like it did a long time ago..... Thanks again!

Jason