Need guidance regarding smooth running of FSX

ttrockx

Good evening fellas,

I require some guidance from all of you good people regarding my Flight simulator.

even though I have a high end pc, my game lags and I m unable to ensure smoothness.

My pc specs are listed below

- Intel i7 quad core 7th gen (total 8 cores)

- 16gb ddr3 Ram

- 4 gb Nvidia gtx 1080

- 1 Tb Harddisk

Its a lenovo legion y520

I am sure I am doing something wrong due to which I m experiencing this problem. Therefore i require some guidance from all of you experienced flight simmers out here.

Regards

Talha

My question is what OS do you have? Windows 10? Windows 7?

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

My question is what OS do you have? Windows 10? Windows 7?

Chuck B

Napamule

I'm using Win 10...

I m also using windows 10.. I haven't installed any addon scenery yet.. but yes I am using ICE ai traffic.. it might be because of it.. I don't like empty airports actually...

my fsx starts lagging, in other words when I'm about to reach an airport OMDB (for instance) my sliders are not set at max.. I have applied some tweaks as well like Jobscheduler and bufferpools..

I have also observed that sometimes it runs smooth but sometimes it doesn't.. may be its due to background processes, I dont know exactly.

First of all, you need to weed out the possible applications running in the background that you don't need. That would be things like iTunes, Skype and Facebook open in a browser, just to name a couple.

Then update Windows 10 to the latest level, update the nVidia drivers to the latest level, and see if you can find any possible updates for your other drivers on the Lenovo website. After that, clean up the hard drive, using the control panel's Free Up Disk Space utility. Then defrag the hard drive, and do the cleanup and defragging that on a regular basis.

Finally, go here:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?259352-FSX-P3D-Software-and-Hardware-Tweaking-Guide

and follow the steps in there for tweaking FSX.CFG.

This will take time, but it will be time well spent.

Jorgen

Browser closed, no other programs besides FSX running, in your Settings/Customized/Aircraft uncheck lens flare and light bloom. Set the water slider at 2, AI traffic at 35%.

Sliders like AutoGen, Scenery Complexity can be maxed out.

Now I see you are using the "Not Appropriate" AI program. No soup for you!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I have un and installed FSX Gold (Acceleration) 3 times. And one thing I MUST do is DEFRAG the HDrives (C and D in this case). I got (free) 'Defraggler' 64 bit (Win 7 Pro 64 bit). Works like a charm. Without defrag FSX would not run the same. Nobody tells you everything.

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit: And as for processes (you are not aware of) there is one that eats up CPU and it auto installs/runs in Win 10. It's called 'Xbox' recorder and I hear it's bad news for laptops (Steam forums).

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I don't know if I'm allowed to give this sort of advice, I only know it works perfect on my machine old Intel Quad.

When starting the FSX call the task manager, process tab right-click on FSX there and select "set affinity". then choose all cores. Then Set priority "Above Normal". don't start with "High" It may crash your system, but it won't cause any permanent damage, you can always try it.

I'm only saying it because you have twice as many cores as me and mine works fine.

Can't wait for my i9 "18 cores" Woohoo! ;) still saving .....:o

Napamule: I heard about that Xbox recorder too... Not much good for Desktops either!! "Very much lag" they said.

FSX Rules!! :pilot:

What time's the next flight?

Archived