Landing A10 on carrier

Skye PilÃt

Clear decks, moving fairly rapidly, the plane at a low weight, and with really good brakes and beefed up landing gear...Possible.

There is an aircraft.cfg trick that makes it possible to land just about ANY plane onboard the boat. Very "not realistic" though.

For decent, "realistic" ops, though, the plane needs to be designed to make carrier landings. Tailhook, heavy duty landing gear, beefed up airframe, etc.

But heck, it's a simulator. You can pretty much do what you like :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Actually RW, I saw a fairly heavily loaded C-130 land and take off on the flight deck of a carrier sitting at anchor in Subic Bay. And no, it didn't have a hook and the carrier wasn't making a lot of wind over the flight deck while anchored.

They seemed pretty unconcerned about safety landing that big plane there. I say that because almost everyone who came and went was at least a Major or Lt. Cmdr. Plus at least one General.

As far as stopping, reverse thrust seemed to help that a lot. And the takeoff used a bunch of JATO bottles. Actually the whole operation looked and sounded pretty awesome and realistic to me! I was watching from the flight deck of the Princeton and I didn't feel I was as high out of the water as the hanger deck on the Enterprise.

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

• 6 months later...

Archived