Following the Green River by airplane into the Colorado River basin.

Joop Kruize

Like John Wesley Powell who took the boat up the Green River to the Colorado River. In 2021 I followed the Colorado River from its source to the ocean in Mexico (Forum). Following the river by plane starts with looking for the source and an airport to start. The source is located southwest of Gannett Peak, between Winifred Peak, Split Mountain, and the Arrowhead of Mount. It took a while to find the airport. Three fields each at 42 km. distance, Dubois, Kinky and Pinedale airport. The latter seemed the most appropriate to me.

The Green River is ~1175 km, but it took me ~3000 km to follow the Colorado River (=~2300 km), including the sections to/from the airports. So I think this trip will be ~1500 km. I like to follow the flow whenever possible. In the upper part this gets difficult, so "following the meander" means more "following the valley". We shall see. “Go with the flow” and “Follow the river as my leader”.

Flight 01 - from AirPort Wenz Pinedale to the source and follow the river (~100 Nm.)

With the Cessna 172 I had already explored the route upstream. The aircraft had difficulty with the high altitude above 12000 ft.

So I decided to start this trip with the Beech Baron 58 on 31 maart ‘22. After the start to HDG~20 over the Fremont Lakes to Fremont Peak, keep left over the two Titcomb Lakes, past Winifred Peak and through the source of cirque d'Split Mountain near the highest summit "Gannett Peak". After a few sharp bends HDG~330 I arrived at the plateau and after a big bend to the left, the Green River is a small stream which I followed with HDG~200 through the left bend at “Daniël”. Then with direction HDG~110 to make the landing at the same Airport, Ralph Wenz in Pinedale. Nice.

Link-0.1 Bron Gannett Peak

411D10EC-1623-4ECD-89A0-E87B0404BE58.jpeg

Edited by Joop Kruize

Flight 02 - from Wenz Pinedale to Big Piney Marbleton (~40 Nm.)

With the Cessna 172 I left on April 5, '22 in the direction of HDG 290. Just before the town of Daniël I turned left to the south HDG~180 and I followed the Green River. A short stage over a relatively boring plateau. Then the terrain becomes slightly hilly, the Cottonwood Creek joins from the right. Then the bridge of road 351 and a little further the tributary "New Fork River" joins from the left. The "Green" goes to the right and here I fly over Marbleton to Big Piney airport with runway 31.

Link: Tour-02 to Big Piney Marbleton.

Flight 03 - Marbleton to Green River Wyoming (~110 Nm.)

With my Beech King Air I took off on April 6, from B.P. Marbleton airport. After a bit of searching I found the small “Green River” in a still flat valley. I fly past the town of “Barge” and a lake over the “Fontenelle Dam”. Still no Canyons here. Then comes an area with buildings and civilization. The town of "James Town" and "Green River Wyoming". A small airport is located at the back of a bend to the right and on a large plateau.

Link-0.1. to Green River Wyoming

46EB22BA-975E-49E8-82CF-0804CB69C73C.jpeg

Edited by Joop Kruize

I like anything that connects history and Flight Simulation! Kind of like Jonesing With Indy! Articles I wrote for Fs98!

Both times I got invalid file types for attaching them! These were for The Old Hangar website! :pilot:

The Old Hangar

Jonesing with Indy - Virtual Archaeology in FS98

Introduction.

Are you getting bored of running the NY-Chicago Mail in zero visibility? Is chasing the Port

Columbus Express out of the station getting stale? Have you walked so many wings, you've worn

out the cloth? Then Jonesing with Indy may be right up your alley!

Jonesing with Indy is the place where you can explore real life archaeological sites

in Golden Wings and Flight Simulator 98.

Our first stops are the Pyramids of Egypt. Located near the city of Giza is an

area rich in ancient history.

I'm going try to upload a Zip File to Flightsim.com!

Christopher Tarana

Flight 04 - from Green River to Dutch John in Utah (~75 Nm.)

With a Cessna 208 Caravan Amphibian I left the plateau of Green River Wyoming on April 9. Soon I saw the river that was already a bit wider and meanders to the south. The river is getting wider and wider and therefore I planned a landing on this part of the river. After a short stop on the water, I took of into the air again. The river left Wyoming at the border of the state of Utah. After a big bend to the left, the river narrows and it looks a bit like a small canyon. Here ends the lake at the “Flaming Gorge Dam”. The next airport is Dutch John. It is on a plateau. Without ILS and autopilot I fly a few laps of VFR until I can land reasonably on the runway.

Link-04. To Dutch John Utah.

5C0DFE24-E148-4A0F-AF0A-0931CFDEA25D.jpeg

Edited by Joop Kruize

• 2 weeks later...

Flight 05 - from Dutch John via Colorado to Vernal. (~111 Nm.)

With a slow Piper Cub I left on April 11 from Dutch John in the direction East via Colorado back to Utah. A narrow river this time and difficult to follow in this mountainous area. Nice. Back in Utah the river widens and it is easy to follow. The Piper is very slow and maybe a wrong choice for this longer trip.!? But in the air this Piper is very stable and easy to handle. But in the landing the Piper quickly drifts off course. So watch out. Unfortunately he’s not so stable.

Link-05. To Vernal in a Piper Cub.

1BD44E0F-0D6A-449A-8745-8E3518FD41CC.jpeg

Flight 06 - from Vernal to Pelican Lake Randlett (~60 Nm.)

On April 13, '22 I took the Bell 206B Heli for a relatively short flight. Head south and follow the Green River. Immediately a large flat roundabout. This is called the "Horse Shoe Bend", a large circular bend. Then there are a number of meanders in this relatively flat landscape. At the end of this flight there will be some more relief in this flat country. Here I have to turn right to the airport of Pelican Lake. According to the map, there is a lake north of the airport. But…. According to the program it looks like a dry polder with some houses.

Link-06. To Pelican Lake in the Bell Heli

988D6D10-BB74-4352-89D4-1750A2EF9911.jpeg

Edited by Joop Kruize

Flight 07 - from Pelican Lake to “Tavaputs Ranch” (~48 Nm.)

Tavaputs Ranch.. A ​​short private airstrip in the mountains above 9000 ft. So I thought that it should work with an Antonov AN-2 and left Pelican Lake airport with it on April 14. This airplane was quite manoeuvrable in all these turns. The landscape is still relatively flat. At the end of this trip it gets mountainous and the Antonov has to work quite a bit to get above 9200 ft. After two too fast landings with a go-around, it worked the third time. The result was a large cloud of dust in the dry sand. The aircraft soon stopped. I saw a name “Sand Wash” Do’s it stands for sand bites? The airstrip is located in a wooded area on a long plateau in the middle of beautiful nature with a beautiful view of the mountains.

Link-07. In An-2 to “Tavaputs Ranch”

9FCE2464-6ABE-4282-B97C-732E0B217598.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Flight 08 - from Tavaputs to Green River in Utah (~95 Nm.)

On June 6, '22 Whit Monday Tavaputs Ranch I departed from this most beautiful airport up in the mountains, the flanks of the Green River.

The Beach Baron had some trouble taking off at over 9,000 ft.

The dive down got the engine running again. The river was quickly found and I followed it south. The mountains and the many

meanders disappeared to make way for somewhat flatter land.

After passing the two long bridges, the search was on for U34, Green River's airfield and runway 31. It was on the right.

Link-08. to Green River City.

2DCBD646-3737-4C23-84B8-00E20EAB3AAD.jpeg

Flight 09 - from Green River U34 to UT75

Mineral Canyon Strip Moab. 3897 ft. (~60Nm.)

On 09 June '22 I had a nice flight with my Tiger Moth Biplane,

a Havilland DH.82 Gipsy Major, a 4 cylinder with 130 hp. and a

maximum speed of 104 mph. After another fairly flat area, the second part became more interesting with hills and meanders.

The airport was on a strip of land on the left side of the river.

Once you've discovered it, it's easy to land from the north side.

Link-09 to UT75 MCS Moab.

Flight 10 - from UT75 Mineral Canyon Airstrip Moab.

to UT59 Outpost just over the Colorado. (~41Nm.)

On June 16, '22 I flew the last leg of my Green River Tour in a Cessna 337G, from the UT75 to the mighty Colorado River to land at UT59, Needle Outpost, a strip of sand and grass in a huge stretch of desert. This was a stopover and actually intended as the final location of this GR.Tour. Parts 11 and 12 are an encore.

Link-10 to UT59 Needle Outpost

36CA3B00-01CA-40AE-8EFA-605F31562012.jpeg

Flight 11 - from UT59 Outpost via the Colorado

to Hite Crossing Airstrip (~51 Nm.)

On June 22, '22 I left with my Cessna 172 from UT59, the Needle Outpost Airstrip, now in a northerly direction because I had already passed the Colorado River and it had to be north of me.

Soon I reached the meanders of the mighty Colorado where I turned left following the river. A little further, the Green River came from the right. With one last look at its many twists and turns, I said goodbye to the Green River and continued on this familiar trip along the Colorado. For a second time I followed this valley via Hite to Page. The stretch to the last right turn is too narrow and there will be many beautiful

sections for white water rafting. Higher is better for flying.

After the bend to the right I saw in the distance the bridge of Hite Crossing and the airport behind it. It was another difficult part to land there. After many rounds with a restart, I had a good landing.

Link-11. to Hite Crossing Airstrip

53E8DBEB-9DDB-43D0-8D15-8BD2980A353F.jpeg

Flight 12 - from Hite to Page Mun. airport. (~110Nm.)

On June 24, 2022 I made my last trip of this Green River Tour. I took off from Hite Crossing Airstrip with a Tiger Moth Biplane and for this flight over some lakes, I chose for a float equipped version.

De Havilland DH.82 Gipsy Major, with a 4 cylinder with 130 hp., flies great but it takes a little longer because of the low speed. To enjoy.

Also visited the two airports halfway, the UT07 on de left and the UT96 on the right, where I flew over the runway and the facilities.

In the first, the UT07, two aircraft were located near the building.

As planned, I made a few stops on the water. Always fun.

Near Page I had to fly a little higher to see the higher airport.

The last landing went well in one attempt with this slow aircraft.

Link-12 to Page Airport.

B5817280-27B6-49AB-8E60-720AC190BB2D.jpeg