Pitot heat in default FSX Boeing 747

Stanley777

Hi everyone,

I have a silly question.

I just purchased Perfect Flight FS Approaches: US Airports. (I find the Perfect Flight packages quite instructive.)

The instructions say in large print to make sure that the pitot heat and the deice are both set to on, because otherwise the missions won't work properly. I don't know why this is so important, but the instructions leave no doubt that it is important.

For the mission I am using, I fly in the FSX Boeing 747. On that aircraft the overhead panel has a nice, big obvious button that allows the deice to be turned on or off. So no problem there.

However, I cannot find the switch to turn the pitot heat on and off. Using the knee board, I found the command to toggle pitot heat on and off. The command is Shift-H. Fine. But I cannot tell whether it is on or off, so when I execute this command, I don't know what is happening.

Could someone please tell me if I am missing something obvious. How do I know whether or not the pitot heat is on or off in the 747?

Thank you.

Stanley

Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | Dell U2717D monitor | Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X

Total available graphics memory: 24534 MB; Dedicated video memory: 8192 MB; System video memory: 0 MB; Shared system memory: 16342 MB

You can't really know. But it is very necessary to do it like the instructions say! Just press Shift+h once and you are good to go. I'm going to take a look at the upgrade for the 747 at the FSND site to see if it puts the Pitot tube switch in the upper panel.

I'll post a link for that. Worst case scenario, I can also post a way to add a switch for the 2D panel, if you like.

http://simviation.com//fsnd/Downloads.htm

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hi Mr Zippy,

Thank you for your reply.

But if I press Shift-H, and the pitot heat were already on, then I would have turned it off, right?

Please, having a switch for the 2D panel would be tremendously helpful to me.

Finally, this is the least important thing for the moment, but why is it so important for the mission to have the pitot heat and the deice set to on? I am curious to know.

Stanley

Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | Dell U2717D monitor | Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X

Total available graphics memory: 24534 MB; Dedicated video memory: 8192 MB; System video memory: 0 MB; Shared system memory: 16342 MB

Hi Mr Zippy,

Thank you for your reply.

But if I press Shift-H, and the pitot heat were already on, then I would have turned it off, right?

Please, having a switch for the 2D panel would be tremendously helpful to me.

Finally, this is the least important thing for the moment, but why is it so important for the mission to have the pitot heat and the deice set to on? I am curious to know.

Stanley

Add this line in your panel.cfg under [window00] Main panel. Add it after gauge57.

gauge58=Mooney_Bravo!Pitot Heat, 445, 94 6, 22

747.JPG

Pitot Tube heat is important especially when flying in the higher altitudes so the Pitot Tube does not freeze causing your airspeed indicator to go nuts! In the warmer climates it's not critical, but it's common practice to have it on. In other words..just do it!;) DeIce switch on prevents moisture from turning into ice and preventing control surfaces from working.

Hi Mr Zippy,

Thank you so much. That switch is great. But I have this question. I am unclear whether the switch is on or off. So, if I press "PUSH ON" when those words are white and the switch is higher up, is it on or off? Or to turn it on, do I press the words "PITOT HEAT" when those words are white and the switch is towards the bottom? You understand my question, right?

And one more thing, please, while I am looking at the 2D panel. Right at the top, there are four buttons that are either down or up and they say "engine start switch." Are those supposed to be up without the blue portion showing, or down with the blue portion showing? Once the engines are started, pressing the buttons doesn't seem to change anything.

Stanley

Hi Mr Zippy or anyone else,

Now suddenly some of the electronics in my 747 have gone dead.

I hear the engines, and the lights are working. However, the primary flight display, the horizontal display indicator, and the engine controls panel won't turn on, and I cannot turn on the autopilot either.

Could someone please help.

Thanks you.

Stanley

If you lose your MFD and PFD displays along with autopilot you need to make sure you have the generator switches on. The battery will last only so long before things die. Also you need to have the Avionics switch on for autopilot and radios to work.

Gee, now I have to teach you about rocker/toggle switches????? Click the top part of the switch and the rocker moves upward. this is the "ON" position. Sort of like a light switch.

Once the engines have started, the engine start switches should be in the position shown in my screenshot.

Hi Mr Zippy,

Sorry to be dense.

But in the 747 I don't see the generator or the avionics switches.

Stanley

Hi Mr Zippy,

Sorry to be dense.

But in the 747 I don't see the generator or the avionics switches.

Stanley

If you would go to that download FSND and download and install the VC upgrade, I think you will find both in the upper panel of the VC.

Starting the engines using Ctrl+E will turn on the battery, start the engines one at a time and reset the start switches and turn on the generators. Starting from cold and dark, that is the job of the pilot.

Add this line for an Avionics switch:

gauge59=Mooney_Bravo!Avionics Switch, 308, 80, 34, 47

Both switches are show in the "Push On" position! Your generator switches should be on the upper panel in the VC. 4 of them labeled Gen-cont.

avionic switch.JPG

Thank you, Mr Zippy. You are so helpful.

Stanley

Archived