instrument settings problems with G1000 in C172

Hi Everyone

I have had FS2020 installed for around 2 weeks now, and have been experimenting with many different setup configs, as I suspect so most fliers. As background, I am in fact a qualified PPL with around 1500 hrs P1 time in my log, so not a novice flier, and used the original FS a great deal.

I have been flying the C172 in both modes, "steam" gauges and Glass cockpit. The Garmin 1000 is however, giving me real problems compared to the real thing. When I hover/click on say the altitude set knob, up or down, it just shoots off by itself, going up or down for ever until it reaches +1 99,000 ft. Not much help really ?

It seems to be a similar problem with several of the Up/Down value rotation knobs. Does anyone know of a fix for this, it is driving me nuts right now.

Having the G1000 is great, but if you cannot set it to the values you want, it is not much help at all. It does do current altitude hold OK when you enable it, I just cannot set a target altitude so I can then use FLC or V/Speed options to get there. So ILS approaches for example are really difficult.

Hope someone out there can help ? Thanks in advance.

I think this is a known issue. I've had it happen only occasionally. I've started just using the mouse scroll wheel up or down for setting altitude. You have to be a little careful if you're doing this in a turn because you'll wander off the button and zoom the view.

Thanks for that, but I do know How to use it, from real life flying, but right now in the sim it is a totally new challenge with un-setable altitude and heading knobs as described in my original message......:-))

Have you tried the mouse wheel as I suggested?

Yes indeed, I did know that works - sortta, but in my case, even when using the scroll wheel to change the values, and even when I use the lesser known shortcut keys of CTRL + INS / DEL / HOME/ END/ PGUP/ PGDN keys to reset Hdg, VS and ALT respectively, they still suddenly go off on their own, increasing or decreasing or whatever until they reach the limit for the instrument.

The AP is totally unusable currently, as I cannot set any of the variables correctly. This happens in the A320 as well as the C172's G1000, so appears to be a generic issue.?

The mouse wheel method works first time, every time in all aircraft for me.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi Chopper.. I am just curious...do you have the Honeycomb Yoke? The reason I ask is because some users in other forums claim that the Honeycomb Yoke had a design flaw in its switches that cause an error on the "heading" and they even have a commercial application that "corrects it." I have the Honeycomb Alpha Yoke and never had the issue they talked about. Some users also claimed it affects FLC. All of these when using the G1000 only. I tried to replicate the issue without success, which is good. Like I said, I am just curious cause I believe is a MSFS software issue...

Gil

Sadly the answer is no. I do have an X52 stick somewhere, but have recently moved, and cannot find it right now, so am using the dreaded Xbox 360 controller, which is less than perfect, but usable. I also have the older Saitek AP panel, but it seems to be pretty intermittent as to when it will come alive, or not as the case may be. It di work in th eG1000 Cessna 172 for a time, but strangely fails to come alive in the 747 or 320.

So far, flying the 320 is a nightmare, as the AP simply refuses to behave itself.

I experience this same problem you have. It's as if the mouse button is stuck down and therefore the knob turns indefinitely.

Sounds like you aren't using a yoke or joystick? I have yoke and I'm going to disconnect it to see if that helps at all.

This is VERY annoying and does make flying less enjoyable.