Things I would like to see in future sim

asos

Here are some things I would like to see in a future (or pehaps fs9 and/or fsx--implemented as new mods):

1. The sim should stop the user a/c if it nears the red line on the ground that directs you somewhere through ATC).

2. AI a/c should not ever disappear after a long wait.

3. User should be warned if running out of fuel--perhaps with a message giving the nearest fuelling point.

4. Ability to add a passenger to your VC, as A2A did with Heidi the girl.. in its Cub.

5. Penalty if one does not park to the assigned spot or if one takes off from anywhere not proscribed by Tower directions.

6.Penalty when leaving the a/c parked with engines running and all systems running.

7. More default weather themes.

8. Each of the 4 seasons cut into two periods, selectable by user--e.g early\late spring (or winter, summer, autumn).

9. One new failure that has all lights extinguished on runway 20-40 seconds before user touches down or for longer periods during approach-final-base--all selectable by user but also random.

10. Selectable pilot to walk to the airport bar for a drink once parked, with options to meet people there (other pilots, passengers, women etc)

11. Bird strike, in failures.

12. Some form or reward for having completed a flight correcty or punishment for the opposite case.

Please feel free to add your own suggestions here.

Nick,

Athens, Greece

Interesting, Nick! Some of those things are already available. The low fuel warning, if you have "flying tips" checked. It's up to the pilot to find the closest airport. A lot of payware addons will give you things like Michelle, the copilot, to park herself in the cockpit with you and help fly the aircraft. Several programs will give you the rewards/penalties you're looking for.

There are several "questionable" websites for hooking up with people at a bar. ;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I'm guessing that with Dovetail ever closer to releasing the next version that your wish list might have to wait a while. Unless they read your mind and have already programmed them in that is !

There have been a few wish list posts over recent years so hopefully they will have been listening :-)

Cheers

Stinger

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Thanks for your replies.

Mrzippy: which addon has the Michelle co-pilot please? And which programs give us the rewards and penalties?

http://www.itsyourplane.com/ this is where Michelle hides!

http://www.fspassengers.com/ This will add passengers and track your flights as to how well you do.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Anything which enhances the realism is welcome.

Better representation of system failures. For example, in FS9 select engine failure and it will always be engine 1, it will always be a complete failure, and it will always occur on take-off; radio failures are always all radios completely dead. More realistic, and interesting, would be an engine losing power, or overheating, or losing oil pressure, during a flight; one radio, not all, may die, or just have enough static to make communication difficult; on more elaborate aircraft, MFDs could fail, requiring the pilot to resort to "old fashioned" gauges. (I recall playing SWOTL 25 years ago and bringing a damaged B-17 back home with one engine out and another that couldn't be run over half throttle for more than a few minutes without overheating; or landing an FW-190 with the canopy filmed in oil from a leaking engine.)

Less robotic, more interactive ATC, with ability to handle emergency situations ...like an engine problem. And certainly ATC which doesn't stop talking to you if you fail to respond to one message "in time" during an IFR flight.

While I enjoy the total free flight aspect of MSFS, a mission scenario would be a nice option (along with a mission creator, as in many aerial combat sims), as would a career option. Along with this, but also for use with free flight, would be a flight analysis system - rating how well you carry out proper procedures, adhere to flight plans, manage engine/fuel, etc.

jgf,

Very nice suggestions--many thanks.

What is SWOTL please? I would like to recreate the experiences you described...

Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, from LucasArts way back in 1991, depicting the air war over Europe in its later stages. Oh, the hours I spent in this; it had a Flight School mode (where you could just fly any of the aircraft), single missions, historical missions, a Tour of Duty (career) mode where you flew a number of random generated missions, a campaign mode where you directed the war strategy (and could then fly any of the aircraft involved on your side), and a complete mission creator. Full statistics were kept of everything your pilot did - number of rounds fired, number of hits, number of each type of plane shot down, ground targets destroyed. There were several mods recreating the Russian Front, North Africa, etc., though these only worked properly with custom missions designed for them (and the graphics were still the default aircraft). And people uploaded literally hundreds of missions for the base game and the mods. There was a utility which allowed you to change the weather and season, resurrect pilots, change the number of missions for a tour, etc.

An interesting aspect was you could create numerous pilots and "train" them by flying custom missions with them then assign them to be your wingmen, or fly the bombers while you flew cover (or vice versa). They would even advance in rank as they flew more missions.

Graphics were good for their day, flight models were simplified but decent, sounds were what you would expect in 1991. SWOTL will run on modern systems via DOSBox, the main adjustment being to limit the CPU cycles to something no faster than about 300meg equivalent (it was designed for a 386 10meg; way back then I ran it on a 486DX4/100 and it was smooth as butter and rock stable). It was originally released on, I believe, seven floppies, then a couple of expansion discs that each added a couple of aircraft; around '94 it was reissued on CD with everything included (this is the version you're most likely to find today).

http://www.mobygames.com/game/secret-weapons-of-the-luftwaffe

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/secret-weapons-of-the-luftwaffe-cd-rom-30i

The people who brought us REX is at work on SimAir. This brings a reward system, a ranking system and an online social aspect to it all.

What is weird is I thought they released something like this a few years back.

My only huge want is better ATC, though I've yet to try any such addons for FSX. A recent huge step forward for FSX was the Cloud Shadows pack for the DX10 Fixer. I've wanted that for years.

Rod O.

MSFS or BUST!: i7 10700k @ 4.9Ghz, 2x16GB DDR4 @ 4000 cas 16, evga RTX 3080 ti FTW III

There are a couple of payware ATC utilities for FS9, but neither fit my style of play. Both are geared towards airline pilots and require you to create a full flight plan in FS then import that into the ATC program, there is no "on the fly" option for the improved ATC. I had the same complaint with a weather program that would load the correct textures for the situation, but you had to import a flight plan into it also.

Using both together required starting FS (or a third party flight plan program), creating the plan, exiting, start one utility and load the plan into it, start the other program and load the plan into it, restart the sim, load the plan, wait for everyone to sync up, then start your flight. By the time I've been through all that I've lost interest.

jgf,

Thanks for the info.

Reminds me somewhat of European Air War, a later sim. Ever tried it?

Don't recall that one, but spent hours with Red Baron, Wings Of Glory, Aces Over Europe, Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, Flying Corps, Su-27, EF-2000; still install the latter occasionally for a few ego-crushing missions (merely surviving a campaign combat mission, much less successfully achieving all goals, is an accomplishment). Tried MS Combat Flight Sim but its canned missions quickly became monotonous; spent more time importing FS aircraft and arming them, then hunted 747s with my missile equipped Learjet. And there were some that just fell flat and didn't stay on my system long- Jane's Attack Squadron, Navy Strike, Airpower (completely fictional).

-Separate N2 whine parameter that does not stop looping with engine shutdown.

-Combustion sounds tied to throttle position instead of N2 RPM (combustion sound changes are nearly instantaneous in real-life, which is why you always hear a delay between increased or decreased exhaust noise and engine speed change).

-Ability to decay non-engine sounds from a fixed-point. We can simulate the change in engine sounds throughout an airliner cabin with the current FSX 3D sound system, but wouldn't it be nice if we could specify where triggered sounds originate from and decay those? We could, for example, have flap noises only audible in the vicinity of the flap motor, or switch and warning sounds only audible in the vicinity of the cockpit.

-Ability to set stabilizer trim as well as elevator trim (either, both, or none). Airliners don't trim the elevator, they trim the stabilizer.

-The ability to set all parameters per engine. Real engines don't respond to power input uniformly, and are often mixed in multi-engined aircraft - you'd be amazed how many old 737s and DC-9s have a JT8D-9 on one side and a JT8D-11 or -7 on the other.

-Most FS pilots just hit F2 and dime it after touchdown, but in the real world, a myriad of reverse thrust settings are used, depending on the situation. Unfortunately, since FS2000, we've had a clunky reverse thrust algorithm that provides forward thrust at idle, so accurate reverse thrust settings produce strange effects near idle thrust.

-Fix the ($*#ing ground friction problem already!

My name is Erick Westbrook-Cantu. I used to make flightsim addons. I may or may not endorse this message. I do, however, fully endorse Marshall amplifiers, Gibson guitars, and Tama drums.
"This town is a dump. I'm never going to Las Vegas again." -Adam Donald Stanger: 1986-2015

Eric,

I have your sound for the F104 for FS2002 and use it in FS9 and FSX Accel for all jets and really love the way it sounds, and the realtion to throttle, etc. Genius.

I drive vehicles and none have come with good sound. So I use the FS9 Vickers Vimy sound (FSX too) and that sound is fairly nice. You do what you have to do to make sim enjoybale.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Eric,

Thanks for the wonderful explanations on sound structures.

I will download your F-104 sound, as napamule did, and use it to replace the horrid def Learjet sound in fs9 and fsx.

Better ATC would be my biggest. I always have an issue with the default ATC. One time the stupid ATC had a plane line up as I was coming in. Totally unrealistic.

ATC that conforms to real world SID and STARS.

A passenger system where you get rewards for passenger satisfaction, on time flights, etc.

Real world engine properties. Like you can burn out an engine if you rev the throttle up, etc.

Mid air aircraft refueling for mil jets.

I realize that there are addons that do all this, but some are far from perfect. I'm wondering if Orbx is in the making a Sim? They said on their website that they were coming out with some new stuff for 2017.

Eric,

Thanks for the wonderful explanations on sound structures.

I will download your F-104 sound, as napamule did, and use it to replace the horrid def Learjet sound in fs9 and fsx.

I wouldn't, the TFE731 and CJ805 sound nothing alike. The default sounds are excellent TFE731 clips that suffer from being put together poorly.

My name is Erick Westbrook-Cantu. I used to make flightsim addons. I may or may not endorse this message. I do, however, fully endorse Marshall amplifiers, Gibson guitars, and Tama drums.
"This town is a dump. I'm never going to Las Vegas again." -Adam Donald Stanger: 1986-2015

• 2 months later...

I would like to see the simmer penalized when he does not follow the line of progressive taxi on the ground closely--say within 15 to 20 feet either side of the line--but cuts corners and cuts short to arrive at the assigned parking spot or gate quicker. The penalty should be similar to what happens when one crashes--a reset of the sim to the initial flight situation.

This feature should be optional in the realism settings of the sim, so one can turn it on and off at will, like "detect crashes" etc...

Nick

Archived