Returning after 10+ years

LukeHarding

I started within Flightsim X about 10+ (probably closer to 15) years ago. Family life meant it all got packed away in the garage.

I am keen to re-start and trying to catchup on all that has changed....the first question being whether FSX or the new 2020 platform is the way to go.

Can anyone offer some thoughts on how best to get back into this world please?

I am keen this time around to really get a home build up and running. I amassed a lot of kit historically (not sure if it's all still working or even practical to use with the developments) and really wanted to build a cockpit to emerse myself in. I didn't;t manage it but intend to this time.

I started within Flightsim X about 10+ (probably closer to 15) years ago. Family life meant it all got packed away in the garage.

I am keen to re-start and trying to catchup on all that has changed....the first question being whether FSX or the new 2020 platform is the way to go.

Can anyone offer some thoughts on how best to get back into this world please?

I am keen this time around to really get a home build up and running. I amassed a lot of kit historically (not sure if it's all still working or even practical to use with the developments) and really wanted to build a cockpit to emerse myself in. I didn't;t manage it but intend to this time.

FS2020 is far more hardware-dependent.

If any of your hardware isn't up-to-snuff then FSX would be a better choice. :pilot:

To LEAVE the flight simulator scene that is... After 10+ years myself I am ready to LEAVE this mess. No support for 'legacy' Windows seals it! What with FS2020 and Windows 10 being required I have had it with M$ BS! I have the hardware but I detest how M$ now wants to invade your privacy (Win 10) because you want the latest version of FS. It came out half-baked - a big NO NO. Even today it needs 'updates' to even work half right. Where it ends we never can guess. XBox 'feature' is lurking. So all it takes is MONEY (apparently). I don't think I will miss anything. I have FS2004 and FSX Accel. If I buy FS2020 can I get my money back if it doesn't work (for whatever reason)? NO!! So thanks, but no thanks. Hasta la vista Baby!

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

If I buy FS2020 can I get my money back if it doesn't work (for whatever reason)? NO!! Napamule

YES!!

If we buy games/sims from Steam they usually do no-quibble refunds provided we haven't played it (or tried to get it working) for more than 2 hours; I can vouch for that because I got a refund on a flight sim last year..:)

As a legacy simmer on FS2002, not using or needing the Internet to fly, all runs nicely on my legacy WinXP box, I'm a happy camper! I simply gave up the idea of having the latest and greatest. As was said in that movie "Second hand lions", "Kid ... just learn to do without"! Suggest you simply drag all the gear out of the garage, blow the dust off, fire it all up, see what works (it probably all will), and take it from there. You might be surprised and not only get a nostalgia kick but also find that what you've got is sufficient to "fly your plane" for now. Plus, $0, 0 pain, heaps of fun!

Like you, I wanted to "get serious" this time around. Have set up my cockpit booth in my retired car in my garage, my 40 year old Mazda 929. Works a treat. Got two standard screens, one in front of me for Cockpit view, one below to the right where I drag the panel to etc. Have a yoke in front of me. Nicely immersive. (Being Oz, steering wheel is on right side, so am seated on the correct left side. Suggest that if you have the space, e.g. in your garage, go to the wreckers and get part of car body, chop it up, and make a cockpit in it.

Edited by MAD1

Apprently in OZ you can drag a car from the junkyard up to, and into, your garage. I can picture the grove being torn into the ground/pavement by the body on your route. Not to mention the noise caused by chopping it in half. (Around here it would get you arrested for disturbing the peace). That would be more than i could handle and will just gladly settle for a working joystick. Cheesh!

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I understand your pain Napamule, and agree, with the recent FS developments, and the "cloud based" computer environment the world is forcing us to embrace. I also don't like that constant update and monitoring feeling by "big brother" IT. Would love to have FS2020 working perfectly on a nice heavy duty PC. But am not prepared to spend the $ and many a sad weekend tweaking it, perhaps only to be disappointed in the long run. So, option - don't try! (for now)

Re messing about with stuff, I know many guys over the years have taken a car and converted the cabin into their Dr Who "Tardis" sim environment "... it's bigger on the inside than on the outside ...", have seen a YouTube video of two English guys building a full 3-axis sim, all moving, using a car body cabin (cut off the front at the firewall, and the boot/trunk behind the back seat) was inspiring, but far beyond my desires, time, budget etc. The child in me finds that appealing. I suppose it must be the child in all of us simmers that make us do what we do, given other folk think we're quite strange, "playing games" for hours when we could be like them outside in the sunshine getting healthy physical exercise.

Re the Oz situation and messing in the garage, well, it's just another way I can endear myself to my wife and the neighbours (we're exceptionally quite, only the lawn mower makes noise occasionally, one neighbour, being a family with two kids, are a noise factory! Just the fun of living in the suburbs!

Finally, back to the thread topic, Luke, as you no doubt know already, if you want FS2020 "as shown on TV" you'll have to have top gear etc. Good luck!

If you have a reasonably modern computer (I5-8600 or Ryzen 7 3700X) or better, and Windows 10, you will be amazed by the quality of scenery in MS2020 right out of the download. All the commands and keys work differently than in FS2000-FSX. You have a learning curve, but there are lots of videos that will explain how the autopilot and the setup works. The downside is, there are very few addons at this point, and the use of some of the available ones may break the program, particularly if left in the community folder during updates. MS2020 also really needs an SSD or M.2. The scenery is truly spectacular!

FSX does offer many addon options. I have both on my computer. When I want to fly a Convair 990A or an l2d2, I run FSX. When I want to see places I have been or experience places I will never see (the forests and volcanos of southern Chile or the mountains of Turkmenistan are examples), FS2020 is beyond comparison!!

BTW, don't believe all the naysayers as to FS2020 not working. If you have a marginal computer or a slow internet speed or a HDD, that may be an issue, but it works just fine for me except out of 40,000 airports available, KPHG and U64 are missing. That is better termed a minor annoyance than an issue. There are updates, but most are planned to add features or to add scenery to specific areas.

Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I have to agree with plainsman.

Do not believe all the naysayers. I have had MSFS since the release in August. I have very few problems.

I also have different Sims for different aircraft. My main aircraft I fly is a CRJ700. I Still use FSX when I fly it. I also have DCS with the F18 for that type of flying.

I also use CH yoke and pedals in all my Flight sims. Along with the CH gear, I also have connected a Thrustmaster stick and throttle. All of this gear is connected at the same time and all of it is used in one way or another during every flight. I have it set up to the way I want it.

I am still learning new things about MSFS. I use it when I want a quiet flight or when I want to relax a little while still hand flying where ever in the world I choose.

I don't have to post on MSFS a lot because I have nothing to really post about. When a person is not having problems, they do not go on the forums in bunches to complain that they have nothing to complain about.

My advice, if you have the hardware, try it. There is a good chance that you will like it.

Hal

Alienware Aurora R13, I7-12700KF, 16g DDR5 4400 memory, 256g NVMe boot drive, 1 - 2t NVMe m.2 drive for Apps, 2 - 1t SSD for Data, GeForce RTX 3080 TI 12g, Windows 11 Pro.

If you really enjoy GA flying, the new Microsoft Flight Simulator is the way to go. You will be able to run the sim with medium settings on a mid stream computer and the detail will be amazing. Higher end study level aircraft are just becoming available for Flight Simulator. No helicopters yet. I would push you towards the new platform, because for $60 out of the box, you will be blown away for what you get.